Closed Thread
Old Sep 05, 2003, 03:56 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Wing incidence

DD:

try the link below to take you to a thread that describes your problem with the TM. I believe it may the incidence of the upper wing. If the link below does not work, just back up to the Park Flyers forum, and enter "amike321" in the search box. (don't use the quote marks). My R/C neighbor entered this thread to get help for exactly the same problem, and solved it via what was discussed in the thread.

RD

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1&pagenumber=1
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2003, 04:51 PM
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
Hi doomsday and welcome to the addiction.....the only suggestion I will make to you is on the rx.....I have the jr 652 tx and I am using the jr R610M receiver....have never had an glitching problems and have flown nearly out of site with this receiver
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall
Old Sep 05, 2003, 10:15 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Man, its times like these when I wish I had a digital camera. Ok, first question on building. I think I said it before, but if I didnt, these instructions stink. Some of the wording sounds almost like it was converted from a different language =)

Anyhow, I am working on the struts now. I am trying to put the struts on that screw into the side of the fusalage. there is nowhere in there saying exactly where you are supposed to glue the struts to. So, From everything I made out of the pic, it appears the struts are glued right ontop of the two ridges of the wing. Would this be correct? there was no indents for them so I am at a loss as to the exact location.

My friend and I (you will probably see him on here sooner or later as he is going to start building his first plane, A slow stick) spent many many moments trying to figure out where alot of this stuff went, but he made a statement that I really hope is right. he said that this being such a popular starter plane that it is probably pretty forgiving in building mistakes. Would you guys agree with that statement?

Anyhow, thanks for the help....

DD
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Sep 05, 2003, 10:25 PM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
They do go right on the fold, about 1/8 in from the leading edge.

Plane is very forgiving.
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
Old Sep 05, 2003, 10:55 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
thanks. I think I did put them about that far from the leading edge. Hopefully it is close enough =)

I am getting closer to having this thing built. all I like now is to put the electronics in, glue the struts to the other wing, throw in the landing gear and bolt on the wing and Im done.

ok ok, so I am about half way through =)

Right now, I am not putting any mods on it till I get it built and try to fly it. once I do that, then I will start adding the wonderfull mods to it and get it ready for a beating.

Oh, did want to mention that I seem to be going through alot of epoxy on this thing, I sure hope I dont weigh it down to much.

And the tape that goes on the upper wing, ugghh, It would not stay stuck for the life of me, so I switched it out for some packing tape. that sucker aint going anywhere hehe...

And as for the cowl, omg, That has to be the hardest part of this thing. Mine looks like crap, but at least it is staying together for now. how in the world do they expect you to glue that thing together?

Thanks again

DD
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Last edited by DoomsDay; Sep 05, 2003 at 10:57 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2003, 12:02 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,937 Posts
Mine is held together with black plastic electrical tape. It looks pretty good if I have to say so myself. Put a run on both sides, top and bottom. Tried glueing it, but went with the tape instead.
You could use even scotch tape, it would barely show.

I do believe you would almost have to intentionally build the TM so it wouldn't fly. If when you eyeball it everything looks ok it probably is. Be sure, as shown in an earlier recent post that he middle wing struts are parallel with the plastic they mount on. You will probably need to screw in both fronts, and then line it up and do the back. Good luck and ask questions.

Peace,
LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Sep 06, 2003, 01:07 AM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
541 Posts
I'm new to RCgroups, but bum around RCU a bit as I normally fly 1/2A nitro. So I figure I'll say hello to everyone here. I just got this tiger moth from a guy with a micro flight pack I wanted for a 1/2A nitro bipe. The TM had been severely crashed, so I got a new wing/tail kit and a new cowling. I've only had it two weeks, but its already a favorite and I can't seem to stop tweaking with it.

On the cowling, when I cut mine out I left a very narrow strip of extra plastic past the cut out line on each half shell. Then I used this extra strip and glued the top and front strips together in a sandwich so that its about 1 to 1.5 mm wider than normal at the top and front. The bottom I left unglued and this allows me to get the cowling tight on the fuse so that it look good and it was easy to glue like this.

Also, I converted from the plastic wing supports to 3/32 lite ply but cut the uprights much narrower than the original to keep the weight down and take advantage of the strength of the lite ply. Seems to work ok, but I'm going to string flying wires tomorrow I think. I also picked up a set of Dubro 1 3/4 lite wheels to build a new gear set out of.

To top it all off, a friend gave me a EPS-300C (A gear ratio) that he though might work on this. It's significantly heavier than the IPS the TM came with. Any thoughts if the power increase will be worth the extra weight?

Thanks and hello to everyone,
Duke
Dukester is offline Find More Posts by Dukester
Old Sep 06, 2003, 01:54 AM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,948 Posts
DD and Dukester:

Welcome to the fun! It sounds like both of you are off to a good start!

Yeah, the TM instructions are nearly worthy of wrapping fish in. Just keep on asking questions, as mentioned!

The 300C will turn the TM into something it is not suppose to be, but hey, a lot of folks slap'em in. Make sure you reinforce the wings very well or she will turn into a lawn dart, complete with many foam particles! Hopefully Wayne will add his commentary and classic TM 300 carnage shot here!

daveWCO
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Sep 06, 2003, 08:26 AM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Tampa, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
Doomsday:

A couple of notes:

There are indeed the slightest indents on both the top of the bottom wing and the bottom of the top wing. They are very hard to discern but they are there.

I chose to substitute 3/16 bass wood struts for the flimsy plastic on the outer struts and made small cuts into the wing to stick the struts into. You might want to consider this for the future. I left the center cabanes stock and attached them just inside of the fold again making shallow ditches into which the material sits for strength.

As far as where the center cabanes get screwed to the white plastic pieces on the fuselage: just complete the outer struts and then put the wing on and the center ones should line up laterally (front to back of fuselage) and all you have to do is adjust them up or down on either side. I did use a ruler to make sure I had the same spacing between wings on both sides.

The cowl is best handled as our friends have said. I went for the nice neat cut a glue method but it winds up with tape after several nose landings so get a head start and tape it.

The wing tape is useless and you will eventually have to fill in the folds if you stick with this plane. I used epoxy mixed with micro balloons to lighten it. By the way go light on the epoxy as a little goes a long way and it's easy to over do it in the beginning. Thinking more is better and trying to crash proof it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy if you make a brick out of a feather.

Be sure and make a prop saver from a spare servo arm (search for the post). I have not had a single broken prop since I started. Instead it has slipped off in half a dozen "nose-ins" and I have simply popped it back on with a couple of new tiny rubber bands.

The landing gear will need immediate attention after the first few flights and there are plenty of post here as to how to improve it. I chose to slide some light aluminum material over it and use Basketcase's method of building in some shock absorbancy with hooks and rubber bands.

I hope all of this helps and will post some of my pictures

Here are my struts buried in the wing and epoxy.
dulcelife is offline Find More Posts by dulcelife
Last edited by dulcelife; Sep 06, 2003 at 08:53 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2003, 08:27 AM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
These are the fills on the upper wing with epoxy and micro balloons.
Old Sep 06, 2003, 08:29 AM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
The prop save is a number one priority in my book, it is easy, quick and will save you money and frustration especially in the beginning flights.
Old Sep 06, 2003, 08:31 AM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
This picture shows a classic moth crack-up point and weakness.
Old Sep 06, 2003, 08:33 AM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
And this is my solution with aluminum material to add some strength and a shock absorbing system adapted from Basketcase's design. Works beatifully!!!
Last edited by dulcelife; Sep 06, 2003 at 08:55 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2003, 08:36 AM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
Here's another shot of the prop save showing how the prop goes on. The rubber bands are the ones used by women for I-don't-know-what, available in the woman's "hair-things" department at
Walmart.
Old Sep 06, 2003, 08:37 AM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
I hope all this helps you and to the rest of the gang my apologies for the repetiveness of some of this stuff.
Closed Thread