SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Sep 03, 2003, 09:59 PM
Go Forward, but Remember
Pawling NY
Joined Oct 2002
944 Posts
I'm flying with the PJS-300 and either:

2s1p Kokam 1020s for the familiar Moth feeling at 1/2 throttle and enough power to get out of trouble,

or

3s1p E-Tec 1200s for all out insanity (almost unlimited vertical)
reills is offline Find More Posts by reills
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2003, 10:00 PM
It'll work this time!
Deep in the heart of Texas
Joined May 2003
733 Posts
Hmm...

In light of the M100 motor issue, doesn't this look interesting:

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...?prod=GWSP2102

I dunno, it may be a different critter entirely, but it does look interesting. Considering it has a round mounting, maybe it's intended for their new IFO clones.

Either way, depending on how it turns out, it might make a nice moth package, too. I dunno.

Later,
Chris

P.S. Washed my bad memories of yesterday out with some fun Moth flying this afternoon. It was a bit breezy (6mph?) and gusty, but that made it interesting. I made sure to do my flying about 100' above the trees to get in the clear(er) air and did loops, stalls, etc. for about 45 minutes. On two packs. I seemed to be using up the electrons a little quicker in the wind. Anyways, it was good stuff. Later!
The Commodore is offline Find More Posts by The Commodore
Old Sep 03, 2003, 11:20 PM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,948 Posts
reills:

I can't believe you dropped an Etec 3s 1200 in your Moth! Lol! I love it.

daveWCO

Quote:
Originally posted by reills
I'm flying with the PJS-300 and either:

2s1p Kokam 1020s for the familiar Moth feeling at 1/2 throttle and enough power to get out of trouble,

or

3s1p E-Tec 1200s for all out insanity (almost unlimited vertical)
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Sep 03, 2003, 11:43 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Need for Speed

Hey, he stuffed a Hacker B20 into a Pique 3! This flyer definitely knows how to get the coals burning.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Sep 04, 2003, 12:13 AM
Smooth Air
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tasmania
thanks Morb, I'll get an 10x8 prop and try that. it amazes me though how right Basketcase was about the 10x4.7 it was just like flying with a lower gear.
I tried the 10x4.7 when my 9x7 cracked on me, with a very low-powered nose over on it's maiden. The 9x7 is a very weak prop, I found other threads that complained about this. So, I went the next level and threw on the 10x4.7. I found the flights even more lethargic, with just a steeper climb, but climb wasn't fast, nor did it maintain this steep climb for very long on full throttle. It may be a prop to use indoors.

All of this with a 2sp 1200 etec and a heatsink on the IPS

Throwing the 10x80 on, the tiger moth flew the best. Nice speed, but it will slow down in common moth style, for that easy moving moth attitude. I'm waiting for an etec 700 to come, which should be tommorow, and I'm very excited about saving even more weight. The TM will be a little tail heavy, but not enough for concern, and it may make her a little more responsive.

I love this plane, and certainly can't get enough of it.

Geof.
Morb is offline Find More Posts by Morb
Old Sep 04, 2003, 12:24 AM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,948 Posts
As Trikster mentioned, it is interesting to note the differences in prop performance at different altitudes/regions.

The 10x4.7 is about as worthless as mammary glands on a boar hog around here. Figure I'm at about 2400' with very little humidity. I'd almost be afraid to fly the 10x4.7 indoors unless a swamp cooler was kicking in moist air.

daveWCO
Old Sep 04, 2003, 01:20 AM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
There is a guy that I have flown with that has an Astroflight 010 14turn in his moth. He flies on 3s1p 700 etecs... His moth has two sets of wings glued together and ailerons. Its the only Moth I know of that can hover (as in 3D style hover, on the prop). His Moth will verticle beyond the acceptable range of his antenna. Last (and only) time I saw it fly, it was gusting into the 30's and he was hovering it into the wind at full throttle and just creeping along. His motor ended up siezeing and his Moth went down hard on concrete. As far as I know, its all back together, but it is a Crazy Moth to be sure.
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
Old Sep 04, 2003, 01:35 AM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Trikster
There is a guy that I have flown with that has an Astroflight 010 14turn in his moth. He flies on 3s1p 700 etecs... His moth has two sets of wings glued together and ailerons. Its the only Moth I know of that can hover (as in 3D style hover, on the prop). His Moth will verticle beyond the acceptable range of his antenna. Last (and only) time I saw it fly, it was gusting into the 30's and he was hovering it into the wind at full throttle and just creeping along. His motor ended up siezeing and his Moth went down hard on concrete. As far as I know, its all back together, but it is a Crazy Moth to be sure.

Sacrilege!!

I'd love to see it fly, though

daveWCO
Old Sep 04, 2003, 02:08 AM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
What made me laugh was his takeoff distance was about 7 inches... It just went in the direction of the prop. Never mattered where it was pointed.
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
Old Sep 04, 2003, 06:36 AM
Go Forward, but Remember
Pawling NY
Joined Oct 2002
944 Posts
Mothra

This is a launch with the E-Tec cells. Actually, I've gotten rather cavalier with my launches now that I've gone brushless. I just give the Moth an underhand flip, and off she goes.
reills is offline Find More Posts by reills
Old Sep 04, 2003, 07:10 AM
Smooth Air
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by daveWCO
The 10x4.7 is about as worthless as mammary glands on a boar hog around here. Figure I'm at about 2400' with very little humidity. I'd almost be afraid to fly the 10x4.7 indoors unless a swamp cooler was kicking in moist air.

daveWCO
Amen to that...my sentiments exactly. Couldn't of put it more eliquantly.

Quote:
Originally posted by reills
I'm flying with the PJS-300
Got a link for that motor, and great picture.

Geof.
Morb is offline Find More Posts by Morb
Last edited by Morb; Sep 04, 2003 at 07:14 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2003, 07:49 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
My TM has a PJS300 too. Flying with 1020 Kokam and ET 700's 2 cells. Haven't tried a 3 cell yet. Since the PJS is an outrunner it is direct drive and without a gearbox it silent. It's weird flying the 'moth in stealth mode. With a 8x6 prop it has enough power to go vertical and is capable of lucicrous speed. I like the 8x4.3 for just a bit more power and speed than stock.

The PJS weighs the same as an IPS motor and gearbox but the brushless speed control adds a third of an ounce. The extra weight increase the stall and landing speeds a tiny bit.

IMO the PJS is overkill for the TM in both weight and power and I can't wait for an even smaller outrunner to become available. I've gone thru so many IPS motors I can't even guess, if I'd started with the brushless to begin with, I'd be ahead by now. (except they weren't available back then)

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Sep 04, 2003, 07:57 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
The PJS is available from www.aircraft-world.com and others.

It is mounted on the stock stik in the Tigermoth exactly the same as shown here on the T3D. A round groove was sanded into the top of the stick, some heavy duty double stick tape and two zip ties. Worked great on both planes with no problems getting loose.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Sep 04, 2003, 11:49 AM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Commodore,
Unfortunately the LPS motors don't give nearly as much thrust as the M-100s 7oz. The only place I've seen those motors in use was on indoor planes for some reason. I will take a closer look at them and their charts tonight and compare them with the IPS-A. Anyone else know much about these LPS motors?

PJS-300 boys,
You guys are crazy! Vertical in a Moth? Now someone has to post video of that. I HAVE to see it. As BC put it, ludicrous speed. No wonder they came out with balsa struts for the poor thing!

Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Old Sep 04, 2003, 03:39 PM
San Diego, California
Joined Aug 2003
581 Posts
The story continues.....

So I was able to get a 2 cell LiPoly pack from someone at our field (he found it and didn't want it!)..... Nobody claimed it or knew of anyone who lost it so I ran down to Dymond Modelsport to get a charger..... They had a Sony charger (for cam corder?) on their sale table... $9.50. So now I have a 2 cell LiPo setup for under $10!!!!!!

Pluged in the pack to the IPS swinging the standard prop and flew for 25 minutes this morning, with some power to spare.

This plane is fun. I was doing wing overs and loops, and actually ended up upside down for a bit... couldn't get back over before gravity won out, but I had control all the way to the inverted "landing." I guess I was looking for alerons to roll back out (oops!). Plane was 100%, no damage could be seen. Walked back to flight line and flew for about 10 more minutes before I started to notice a drop in power.

I used a friend's field charger, but by the time the cells were back up to full power, the wind was up. I wish the wind would hold off a bit longer, but it just makes me fly the Zagi. . . .

Anyway, the plane is really fun, but I've got a bit of warp in the wings making it want to bank a bit left. I'm going to work on a tab to act as a qusi aleron unless someone can give me a good way to get her wings more true.....

Still, what a blast! Nice and slow. Really looks good bumping along at 5 - 10 mph. I'm looking forward to this evening when I take her out to fly at the elementary school by our house.
If the wind can die away before the light is gone......
EcoTony is offline Find More Posts by EcoTony
Closed Thread