HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 08, 2003, 10:05 PM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Do it do it do it it do it do it it do it do it it do it do it it do it do it it do it do it it do it do it it do it do it it do it do it it do it do it it do it do it it do it do it it do it do it it do it do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, if you are a first time R/Cer, then you should really really buy a GWS Moth. Stealing you bro's wouldn't be too nice though

Yes, I was reffering to the Sterling, that looks like a piece of artwork, and I'll bet it turns out way more scale than the GWS Moth, and flies even better!

Dan
SkyPyro is offline Find More Posts by SkyPyro
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2003, 10:09 PM
Terra Firma Dive Pilot
Thonotosassa, FLA
Joined Sep 2003
1,374 Posts
Luis,

I have this posted on the site.

To save to your hard drive, "Right Click" , "Save Target As" to your directory

Gene
thonobuc is offline Find More Posts by thonobuc
Old Sep 08, 2003, 10:11 PM
Terra Firma Dive Pilot
Thonotosassa, FLA
Joined Sep 2003
1,374 Posts
Dan,

Thanks.. Yes, I am a first time r/cer, but not a first time builder. I have built many c/l models.

This is going to be a nice project.

Gene
thonobuc is offline Find More Posts by thonobuc
Old Sep 08, 2003, 10:12 PM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Tampa, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
Skypro:

The article in the ezone construction link (converting to electric) I'll post the link, talked me out of converting a cessna 170 to electric. Basically they fly poorly if at all because the airfoils are not optimized for serious flight and a slew of other obstacles along the way.

It is a must read for anyone contemplating this kind of thing for anything other than a challenge or experiment and definately not for the beginner as it is made clear in the article.

This is why I'm very close to begging my friend to opt out for now and just get up in the air quick with a GWS TM.

L~
dulcelife is offline Find More Posts by dulcelife
Old Sep 08, 2003, 10:15 PM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
Gene:

I know that but that doesn't help those without broads.... I mean broad band!! rotglmao
Old Sep 08, 2003, 10:17 PM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
Here's the article:

http://rcgroups.com/links/index.php?...at=202&id=4028

l~
Old Sep 08, 2003, 11:17 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Ok, another question about my moth veering to the left.

I have tried to trim it out but it didnt seem to help. here is what happens, if I am flying at slow speed it flies almost perfectly straight. As soon as I put it to full throttle and try to keep it there it starts veering to the left.

So my problem is if I trim it out for full throttle it is now off for slow flight.

This is why I am wondering if maybe I got the thrust angle off by some or that maybe its due to the left strut being warped in some?

Thanks again.

Oh, and Welcome to Coyote! glad to see you in here bud!

DD
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Sep 08, 2003, 11:26 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Woah, so many new guys! Great to have you posting.

Its gotten so that I have to have a sheet of paper to write all my replys on. But today I don't have any paper, and its after midnight so I can't get any.

Soooooo.....

I'm totally feeling like I'm in the sidelines. I'm sittin here, without a motor to fly with. (Secretly building a slope plane, but have no slope to FLY ON!!!!) I'm glad I had so many stories to read though. Plus the whole thread I still have to read now that Louis posted it.

DD,
Great stuff. Keep your stories coming. Maybe with all these minds, we can straighten that Moth out for you. It is after all learning...... Let's make the most of it.

dulcelife,
Great video. I saved it. Brought a huge smile to my face. I say you let your brother post all the videos he can. Even if they take almost 15 minutes to download. lol

WT,
It isn't JUST a nice looking plane. You gotta fly one to understand. Huh?... What do you think?

Dragonfly,
I held my breath when I looked at the pic. Kinda felt like I could see the perfect out of the box Moth take off for the first time. Someones gotta help find a place where you can post the video. I'm dying to see it. Maybe BC's LG mod would help. Did you ever get a verification on the AUW? Post office will do it happily. They can even do it all while in one piece.

Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Old Sep 09, 2003, 12:27 AM
United States, CA, Nevada City
Joined Aug 2003
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WillowPtarmigan
Looks cool. The GWS Tigermoth looks like a nice looking RC airplane.
Thanks Willlow, that blimp is one of the hazzards I have whilst flying down here in downtown Miami!

-James.
jamesgood72 is offline Find More Posts by jamesgood72
Old Sep 09, 2003, 12:58 AM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
541 Posts
A little moth carnage to liven up everyones day. I converted my moth to EPS-300C power with a big Nimh 800 mAh battery to run it. All up weight was 10.9 oz when I weighed it today. I had one brief test flight in the street in front of my house the other night which ended up with a popped wing strut (tree jumped out in front of me I swear). I had fixed up the plane and had intended to string flying wires, but the weather was so nice this afternoon, I couldn't resist a little fly before finishing the mods. After all what could go wrong!

The wind was light, about 3-5 mph with infrequent gusts of maybe 8ish. So I went down to the school yard about a 1/2 mile from here to have a little fun with the TM. The 300C w/9x7 prop has generous power and even with the weight, it'll move along pretty fair at about 1/2 throttle. At 3/4 or above, the TM really picks up some speed and has a pretty significant climbing tendency. So I was having some fun flying into the wind, as from the ground it looked like the TM was simply rising up at a 60 degree angle. So I fly around for about 20 minutes and figure its about time to scoot back to the house (kids to bathe, dinner to eat, etc). So I head downwind over the basketball court I'm using as a runway figuring I'll swing back in and make a nice into the wind landing. As I'm going over the BB court, the wind gusts up and pitches the TM nose down. Now by this time I'm pretty used to the 300C power and I've got it at about 2/3 throttle on the downwind run (and boy does she look pretty moving along). So when the nose pitched down she started a power dive, so I cut the power back and gave it some up elevator to level out and right at the bottom of the dive, both wings on the right side fold and she goes in like a rock from an altitude of about 25 ft. Smacks nose first into the BB court. Guess I shoulda waited for the flying wires after all.

On the high side, the wife saw how depressed I was (and how bad the TM fuse looked), so she told me to go out and just get a new TM kit. So I guess every cloud does have a silver lining.

Enjoy the pics,
Duke
Dukester is offline Find More Posts by Dukester
Last edited by Dukester; Sep 09, 2003 at 01:02 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2003, 01:00 AM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
541 Posts
and another
Dukester is offline Find More Posts by Dukester
Old Sep 09, 2003, 01:06 AM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
Impressive carnage. By the looks of it, you need about 2.5 hours to fix it by my fixing standards. Heh, your prop made it.
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
Old Sep 09, 2003, 03:40 AM
Banbury,Oxfordshire,UK
Joined May 2002
567 Posts
Well you could patch it back up, spackle, sand back the tell tales . with that power plant, it should handle any/if excess weight, and also gives you a chance to give her a new colour scheme.

Glad you got an understanding wife though
althulas is offline Find More Posts by althulas
Old Sep 09, 2003, 05:39 AM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
I say capatolize. Put that bug together strong and powerful for your windy days.

And, RUN and get that new TM and make her a virgin for life for the calmest of days, light as a feather (my nose is up in the aire as I write this)

DO IT while you still have the MRS.' blessing!!!

Luis~
Old Sep 09, 2003, 07:19 AM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Oh man, Sorry to see that Dukester.

On the lighter side, you could take that second pic and put a caption on it.

This is how much power a 300c engine has. It can rip the nose right off a moth!

DD
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Closed Thread