HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by roscoedude, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:57 PM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raipe View Post
Well they have to be to keep us warm in this darn cold climate we've got around here
Lol, good point!

I've been intrigued with Blender for a while now, and finally downloaded the latest release to check it out. So continuing with the ship theme, here's my WIP USS Commodore Perry, Blender style.

later,
Dean
roscoedude is offline Find More Posts by roscoedude
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:14 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Hi Dean!

Really cool looking ship, again
You mean the Blender that is a free/open source CAD program? That really seems worth a try. My Inventor license will be ending in not so distant future so I'll have to find an alternative soon too. I've known about Blender but haven't really had time nor motivation to check in to it (looks intimidatingly different to what I'm used to). The price tag would suite me though.

Thanks for sharing
raipe
raipe is offline Find More Posts by raipe
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Hey Raipe,

Yep, that Blender. But it's not really a CAD program per-say, at least not what we are used too. It's more a modeler for CG, animation, effects and stuff like that. So you won't be making drawings or cut-files with it like you can with Inventor or SW, but it's pretty cool if you ask me.
I've been using/learning it for about a month now and it's a totally different beast to get used to, not really hard, just different. The way I started was by watching some video tutorials (there's a ton of them) to get a feel for it before I actually started using it, and that seemed to help.
Hey, for free, how can you go wrong, right?

Anyway, here's a couple links if you want to check out some tutorials.
Blendertuts
Blender.org tuts

Plus there's a lot more on YouTube too.
And the latest version of Blender 2.62 HERE!

Also a little update on the Paddle boat Perry, here's a couple pics.

Later,
Dean
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:10 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Hi Dean!

Nice work on the Perry Looks like you've nailed it in that month

Thanks for the info. With RC-stuff the drawing part feels like a must have feature so I might leave the Blender for others. Luckily I have access to use the SW at work so I'm not in a real hurry Incredible stuff in those tutorials! Who'd thought that some day one can get a program like that for free Gotta love the IT-world we live in.

raipe
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Thanks Raipe!

Yeah, we definitely need the drawing part for our RC projects. Don't blame you for not wanting to tackle another program, you already have Inventor and SolidWorks on your plate.

Did your company let you install a copy of SW on your home PC to use? Because I believe the SW contract lets you do that, you know, working from home and all that. .... Not that you'll actually be doing work at home.

And of course, a couple update pics. I'll probably wrap this up next week sometime.

later,
Dean
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Well, after taking some time off from CAD'ing (a guy has to make time for flying too ) I did manage to get some progress on the Perry project. Although it's been longer than I predicted to finish it, and it's still not done, (we all know how that goes) it will get finished, just not today.

Dean
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Another 3D printing project.

So here's my latest project, and it actually has wings this time around. I was asked if I would be interested in making some 1/192nd scale models for 3D printing that could be used to make molds from. Now I won't get into the details of their use, but here's a prototype that's already been uploaded, and is ready to print. To put this size plane in perspective, the wingspan is only 3-1/8 inch, or 79.38 millimeters for you metric guys.

Dean
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:34 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Hi Dean!

That is so cool. Sounds to me like someone is building an aircraftcarrier. Really neat li'l plane, I really like the snap-on wing/stab thing, clever.

Cool
raipe
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:58 AM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Hey Raipe,
how you doing?

Yeah, thanks. I had to make the wing and stabs separate from the fuse so they can be used as plug's. Even though it's small, this thing is pretty damn expensive to print, like $16 US and change. Of course that's with one of the more pricey materials because of it's size and detail.
We'll see how it turns out.

(Shameless Plug )
I'm also open for some customers that need work done, so if you know anyone.

Later,
Dean
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:23 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Hi Dean,

I'm just great thanks, how about you?

16 bucks for 80 mm ws plane!!! You just have to show pics of the plane when printed, I wanna see if they print in solid gold.

Well by the rate i've been doing CAD & RC stuff lately I might just use your services myself I'll definitelly guide everyone in need of 3D services straight to you.

Later
raipe
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Hey Raipe,

Doing fine, thanks.

Yeah, the cost of the FUD (Frosted Ultra Detail) material is just a little bit cheaper than gold. But to get any detail on this tiny stuff, it's the way to go. For example, all those recesses on the canopy, aileron, rudder and elevator are only .005 in. (.13mm) wide, kinda puts it in perspective.
Still, with bigger, less detailed parts, where you can use the less expensive material, it can be fairly cheap, and easier than doing it by hand.
I'll definately post pics when it's done.

I haven't been doing too much RC stuff myself, but it's still just spring, so that can change.

Here's an early prototype of the Devastator, before we decided on that one.

Take care,
Dean
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:05 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Hi Dean!

That devastator looks so cool with those gorrugations. Wouldn't that print out properly? Really cool

Later
raipe
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:51 AM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Hey Raipe,

Thanks.
Yeah, I really like it with the corrugated wings too, and I'm pretty sure printing them out wouldn't be a problem, but it was decided by the customer to leave them off.
I did save a CAD model with them on though, just in case.

Take care,
Dean
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
The USS Chickasaw build has started.

For those of you interested, the USS Chickasaw Ironclad static model build has started. It's being built by a friend of mine Devin, and the build thread can be found here:
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum...?f=59&t=106161

Enjoy,
Dean
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
USS Onondaga Deconstruct

For my latest foray into Ironclad designing, I'll be starting to dissect the USS Onondaga, twin turreted monitor in the next few days. It'll be 1/96th scale, which translates to 28-1/4" long with a 6-1/8" beam, and I'll offer it as a frame only kit if there's any interest. A fellow CAD modeling buddy will be offering 3D printed parts for it also, like the turrets, turret decks, stacks, etc.

Here's the link to the thread: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum...?f=27&t=109151

And a couple pics of the CAD model I'll be dissecting.

-Dean