SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by roscoedude, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:55 PM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Oct 2006
794 Posts
The laser cut frame is done and on it's way to the builder... I hope I didn't forget anything.

And some assembly drawings I'm working on for this.

Dean
roscoedude is offline Find More Posts by roscoedude
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Oct 2006
794 Posts
A Lot of these Ironclads had rigging of some sort to hang tarps for some shade on those hot summer days on the water, so of course I had to add a couple (will add the center tarp also).

Dean
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:00 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
619 Posts
This is going to be such a cool li'i ship I didn't know they had wicker seats/recliners on those battleships Well i guess one has to relax even in a civil war I think I'm going to go for the printed stacks. Too cool not to try and seeing how those parts look...

Really impressive, later
raipe
raipe is offline Find More Posts by raipe
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Oct 2006
794 Posts
Thanks Raipe,

If they didn't have lounge chairs to sit in, there would be drunken sailors rolling off the decks all the time.

Quote:
I think I'm going to go for the printed stacks.
Hey, that sounds cool, is there a place around you that does 3D printing?

If you want to get an idea of what you can expect as far details on your stacks, take a quick look on that ship forum thread if you haven't already. He posted pic's of all the printed parts for the Chickasaw in primer.
Wait til you see how small the cannon is, the surface is a little rough, but for being so tiny, the overall shape came out nice. I thought for sure it wasn't printable. But I tried it anyway.

Take care,
Dean
Old Jan 10, 2012, 03:29 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoedude View Post
If they didn't have lounge chairs to sit in, there would be drunken sailors rolling off the decks all the time.
Ok, that sounds reasonable

There is a place for me to use for the 3D printing. An intern told me that they print stuff for customers at their school. Should be even for a reasonable price The volume for 1/10 exhaust stacks is next to nothing so the cost shouldn't be a problem. I'll definitively check those parts out in the ship forum.

Later
raipe
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Oct 2006
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raipe View Post
I'll definitively check those parts out in the ship forum.
Here's those pics, all at 1/200th scale and primed with Mr. surface primer, pretty small compared to what we are used to.

Let me know if you need any info on setting up a part for printing.

Later,
Dean
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:38 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
619 Posts
Hi Dean!

The parts look really good. I checked them on the ship forum also. That cannon is tiny What is it sitting on, a tooth pick? Glad to hear about your other plan (F.B.) too you mentioned. What's it gonna be, or do you wanna keep it a secret?

I'll get back to you on the prepping CAD for printing later.
raipe
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Oct 2006
794 Posts
Hey Raipe,

Yeah that cannon is tiny isn't it. I'm not sure if that's a toothpick or not, but whatever it is, it barely fits in the end of the barrel.

As far as the other thing (FB), I'm still debating whether I want to or not. But what I can tell you is, if I do, it'll be one of the planes from the Modeling Warbirds thread, and not necessarily twin props. He-he

Later,
Dean
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:18 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
619 Posts
Quote:
As far as the other thing (FB), I'm still debating whether I want to or not. But what I can tell you is, if I do, it'll be one of the planes from the Modeling Warbirds thread, and not necessarily twin props. He-he

Later,
Dean
Hi!

So cool, I have a strong hunch about the subject. It'll be one really cool build

You have really made an effort for the fella building this ship, instruction and everything. Must have taken ages, my hats off to you sir

Later
raipe
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:56 PM
Joined Oct 2006
794 Posts
Quote:
I have a strong hunch about the subject.
Lol, hint, it's not the XB-51.....

Quote:
You have really made an effort for the fella building this ship, instruction and everything. Must have taken ages, my hats off to you sir
Thanks,
it really didn't take that long once the final design was agreed on, maybe two or three afternoons for deconstruct and making the cut-files, and 4-5 hours for the instruction drawings. That includes setting up the different configurations of the assembly ( multiple exploded views, etc.) for the drawings.

Been trying out a nighttime render set-up, so I added some lanterns on the Chickasaw to check it out. Here's the first try with an overall view, still needs some tweaking I think...

Later,
Dean
Last edited by roscoedude; Jan 19, 2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: added pics
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:10 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
619 Posts
Quote:
Lol, hint, it's not the XB-51.....
Hi Dean!

Darn it, I was sure about that

Quote:
Thanks,
it really didn't take that long once the final design was agreed on, maybe two or three afternoons for deconstruct and making the cut-files, and 4-5 hours for the instruction drawings. That includes setting up the different configurations of the assembly ( multiple exploded views, etc.) for the drawings.

Been trying out a nighttime render set-up, so I added some lanterns on the Chickasaw to check it out. Here's the first try with an overall view, still needs some tweaking I think...

Later,
Dean
Well that does sound like a lot to me. It's nice that there are still folks who take the time and effort to help out others (the others here include me) The lanterns look really cool.

Later
raipe

ps. been waiting for you to sign in for the funbuild
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Oct 2006
794 Posts
Thanks for the nice comments Raipe, I was happy to help out.
I can blame you for getting me into the ship thing. When I saw your build of your brothers boat I thought, hmm, I wouldn't mind trying out something like that. So when my ship building friend asked if I could make him a simple drawing of some hull sections of the Chickasaw, I said sure But I kinda went a little overboard I think.

Quote:
ps. been waiting for you to sign in for the funbuild
Well, I don't think I'll enter, I have plenty of other things I should do. But I'll show you what I was thinking, here's a partial layout I was working on to get an idea on the internals. Size wise it's 38in. long with a 27.5in. wing span. Maybe I'll build one someday.

Later,
Dean
Old Feb 07, 2012, 02:31 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
619 Posts
Hi Dean

You are most welcome Nice to hear I've eased your way to boats I think that the beauty of this hobby and the internet is that we can all learn and get Ideas and inspiration from people on the opposite side of the globe

That would have been a nice build, STOL with out the L. AND really different approach to a multiengine

Later
raipe
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Oct 2006
794 Posts
Quote:
Hi Dean

I think that the beauty of this hobby and the internet is that we can all learn and get Ideas and inspiration from people on the opposite side of the globe
I totally agree, and I wouldn't mind visiting your side of the globe someday, I hear there's some really hot women over there.

Quote:
STOL with out the L. AND really different approach to a multiengine
I did some more reading up on this plane, and it seems that the rockets were used during flight for high altitude intercept instead of for take-off, talk about getting high fast.
Apparently it was the first U.S. jet plane besides the X-planes to reach mach 1 in level flight, topping out at mach 1.07. Cool stuff....
And you know I like being different.

Later,
Dean
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:17 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
619 Posts
Hi Dean,

Quote:
I totally agree, and I wouldn't mind visiting your side of the globe someday, I hear there's some really hot women over there.
Well they have to be to keep us warm in this darn cold climate we've got around here

Later
raipe