HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by roscoedude, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:57 AM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raipe View Post
Dunno why I used the sketch in the first place? You clearly told me to use the solid edge in the cad-along thread
Goes to show ya, I don't always listen to myself either .

SW can be tricky that way, you would think that since you made the loft using the sketch, it should work reusing it for the tip, but no, it doesn't always work that way. I think it's a SW geometry issue (bug?), and depending on the airfoil shape, sometimes it will and sometimes it won't work using the sketch instead of the edge. I guess from going through that myself multiple times, that I don't even think about it anymore and I just do it instinctively... now that's scary .

Anyway, glad it worked out for you, I'll try to use my whole brain next time .

later,
Dean
roscoedude is offline Find More Posts by roscoedude
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:40 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Just a couple final shots of the USS Chickasaw and a short clip of a video I'm working on.... on to the next project...

http://youtu.be/m7AJ6Aj6nJ0?hd=1

Dean
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:26 AM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
A couple more projects in the works... I've been on a boat kick recently for some reason .

Dean
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:39 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Really cool ships, I'm not that familiar with bots/ships. Are these late 1800- early 1900 era ships? Kinda funky looking, almost like subs . Wouldn't wanna be standing on those decks in bad weather...

raipe
raipe is offline Find More Posts by raipe
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:33 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Hey Raipe,
Yeah, these ships are Ironclads from the American civil war 1860's, and your right, the do almost look like subs. Us Yanks have a pretty bloody history, fighting each other over all kinds of crap, and as kids we would take school field trips to the battlegrounds, cool stuff for a kid.

If your interested, here's a link to another CAD thread I started on a ship forum that's kinda cool, there's also some really great ship CAD models in the same section, way better than my stuff.
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum...p?f=27&t=82330

Later,
Dean
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:37 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoedude View Post
Hey Raipe,
Yeah, these ships are Ironclads from the American civil war 1860's, and your right, the do almost look like subs. Us Yanks have a pretty bloody history, fighting each other over all kinds of crap, and as kids we would take school field trips to the battlegrounds, cool stuff for a kid.

If your interested, here's a link to another CAD thread I started on a ship forum that's kinda cool, there's also some really great ship CAD models in the same section, way better than my stuff.
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum...p?f=27&t=82330

Later,
Dean
Hi Dean,

I know what you mean about bloody history and civil-war, we've had our share of that too.

Really cool stuff on that ship forum. Just finnished reading your thread in there, impressive. Have to see what else is in there

Later
raipe
Old Nov 22, 2011, 09:41 AM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
The Chickasaw frame up so far...

Dean
Old Dec 13, 2011, 04:50 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Hi Dean,

How are you?

Looking really nice. Have you had her cut yet? It looks like you're slicing it up for a laser cutter, a build thread maybe...

Cheers
raipe
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:24 AM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Hey Raipe,

I'm doing fine, thanks. How about yourself, any new builds?

Well, your right, it's going to get laser cut here shortly, but it will be built by a guy named Devin on that ship site. We are also having some parts 3D printed, like the turrets and the props. And once it's cut and we get the printed parts, I'll post a link here to the build thread so you can check it out.

Nice to hear from you,
Dean
Old Dec 14, 2011, 01:27 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Hi Dean,

I'm doing great, thanks for asking. Gosh no, I'm up to my neck with all the unfinished ones already The line is getting longer every day though Don't know if you've seen those cartoon planes by Keith Sparks, I did get me a messerschmidt from him... Could'nt resist it Have to let that one sit in a box for a while, just for the domestic peace

That 3D printing thing is so cool. I've been tempted many times because there was a 3D-printer at my school and I know at least one school that does that for a decent price. Please do post a link to the thread, I'd really like to see the Chickasaw come together.

Later
raipe
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:12 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Ooh, those cartoon planes are too cool, I've got to get one of those. Let me know when you get started on yours, I'd like to check it out.

Yeah, I'm getting that 3D printed test part this Thursday, I'll throw up a pic for you. Now that I think of it, I'm going to get some decent exhaust nozzles printed for the Me 309, and maybe some machine guns or cannons.... oh yeah...

And I'll definitely post a link for the Chickasaw when he starts it.

Later,
Dean
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:55 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
I will let you know. Funny you mentioned exhaust stacks. I really thought about printing a set for the still unfinished hurricane. Actually i'm not late for that yet

Later
raipe
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:14 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Yeah, never late, just slightly delayed , but a printed exhaust would look good on the hurricane, go for it.

I got that turret a few days ago, but my camera took a dump and the only pics I have are these blurry ass ones from my cell.
It's just the turret without the top decking (which is a separate part), and it's really hard to see this thing because it's only 1.4 inches in diameter, and those rivets on it are .01 inch in diameter, tiny... I did a quickie, black sharpie paint job on it and it actually looks pretty good in person.

Later,
Dean
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:38 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
That turret looks really nice. The detailing that is possible with those printers is amazing. Yet I didn't think that a .01" diameter rivet would come out well, it's like .25 mm after all Hmm, that would mean that I could make the stacks with visible welds and everything. Darn it, now I wanna do it even more

Cheers
raipe
Old Dec 21, 2011, 04:00 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Yeah, those .25mm rivets are pushing the limit for details with their printer, but all in all I'm happy with it.

You know, if you put welds on the exhaust, then you'll have to detail the rest of the plane that much too. I say go for it!

And here's the rest of the parts that are getting printed for that project, these pics are from the Shapeways website. Same material as the turret, the ultra frosted detail, which has the most detail, and is the most expensive plastic of course.

Later,
Dean