HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by roscoedude, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:53 AM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Discussion
CAD-a-tonic

So with this blog entry, I'm doing an everything CAD theme, a place to show projects of any kind, not just Warbirds. It's open to everyone, and your welcome to post your WIP's, finished projects, future projects and everything in-between, whether you want some feedback, or just for fun, it's all good.
To start this off, here's some current WIP's I've been working on, and there are a few... there are more, but this will do for now.(since these are all unfinished, there will be updates along the way, and I plan on a series of civil war ironclads)

Hope you enjoy them,
Dean
roscoedude is offline Find More Posts by roscoedude
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:20 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Hi Dean,

Really nice job. I can't believe the rate you keep showing up new models Those textures really make a difference, makes the models much more realistic.

raipe
raipe is online now Find More Posts by raipe
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:34 AM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Hi Raipe,
How's it going?

Well, not much on my end, but as you can see still playing with virtual models , it keeps me out of trouble anyhow...

So, got anything you would like to show here, feel free to post some pics.

Regards,
Dean

Here's a little update for ya...
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:54 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
I'm great thanks! How about you?

You're 3D stuff is just amazing. I keep dropping my jaw over and over again
I do actually have some wip projects I might wanna share. I'll post few pics tomorrow afternoon.

keep at it
raipe
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:47 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
I'm doing OK, thanks for asking...

Definitely post some pics, I look forward to checking out what you've been doing... And post as much as you want, it's all good .

Dean
P.S. thanks for the kind words.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:00 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Ok,

Here's a few i've been fiddling with. The first one is a small Streak, a 30's racer. still a lot to do with it. The second one is obviously a T-37 trainer and it is a foamie for two 70 mm fans.

raipe
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:09 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Raipe,
Damn dude, you've been busy! Those look absolutely awesome, very cool subjects too. You should definitely post those in the CAD showcase thread (if they were mine I'd want to show them off)...
So did you make them in Inventor or Solidworks?
And do you plan on building either one?

Dean
Old Sep 15, 2011, 06:19 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Thanks, I do feel happy with them considering my experience with CAD(or lack of) I wish I'd get even close to the level you're at some day

These are both done with Inventor. My first SW project is still very much in WIP stage Have to get in to it thought because my Inventor student lisence will expire in a year or so. I will definetely build both of these when I get the Myrsky done one day. The Comper streak will follow right after it and the Tweet soon after that. Will give it some time so that the EDF technology can get as far as possible(here's hoping for longer flight times).

raipe
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:21 AM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
I'd say your already there CAD wise, that's some fine looking work you've done.
Hey, if you have any questions on SW, feel free to ask, then maybe we can get your WIP into it's finished stage and get you more familiar with SW too.

I've thought of doing an EDF myself, already have one or two picked out. (Hint: both are already shown in the modeling warbirds thread he he)

Happy modeling,
Dean
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:03 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Thank you, that's too kind. I feel like I've just scrathed the surface on the CAD thing. Still a lot to learn just to make designing these planes a bit easier. I do have a few kinks with SW I can't figure out. I'll post a question when I get home from work.

So, you wanna narrow it down some? Theres only like 20 jets in the thread

Later
raipe
Old Sep 19, 2011, 08:50 AM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Heck, most people don't use half of what their CAD program can do, including me, so there's usually always something new to learn if you want, your not alone on that one .

Yeah ask away, I'll do what I can to help out.

Keep forgetting there's more than a couple jets in that thread, old age creeping in maybe . It's really been a toss-up between the XB-51 or the XF-91 twin tail, hmm, what to do.

Later,
Dean
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:18 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Those are really cool subjects. You should make them both
I know what you mean about CAD softs, can't really master them throughout. And there's always features someone simply might not need yet another one finds really useful. Personally, I know there are some easier ways to do things and those are the things I'm eager to learn

One thing I struggled with is cutting the wing tips. I made a wing tip according to how we did it in CAD-along. I just cant get a solid out of the surfaces. I did what i did with inventor and extruded the "shell" full and used the surface to cut everything outside it. That result in a solid wing tip but I think there is a simpler way out there. Can't paste a pic to explain, hope I didn't make it sound weird

Later
raipe

ps. funny how I've never seen an actual pic of a twin tail XF-91. You got some great sources for the pics
Last edited by raipe; Sep 19, 2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old Sep 19, 2011, 03:12 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raipe View Post
One thing I struggled with is cutting the wing tips. I made a wing tip according to how we did it in CAD-along. I just cant get a solid out of the surfaces.
Where the boundary-surface's meet, check to see if there is a tiny little kink in any of the surfaces, near where they all come together. If there is, then it wouldn't let you make a solid when knitting them together.
SW has some limitations with it's surfacing, so you may have to tweak the sketches some to get it to work, or you may be able to extend them & then trim them back together (read Pain in the Butt).

Let me know if that helps,
Dean
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:38 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Thanks Dean it did help actually.

The thing was that I started the poundary surface from the airfoil sketch and when I changed it to the actual lofts edge it worked ok. So I should probably use the loft edges from now on. Dunno why I used the sketch in the first place? You clearly told me to use the solid edge in the cad-along thread

Thanks a bunch
raipe