SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:43 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,328 Posts
Easy fix. Remove all components and pour hot water just off of boil over the compressed portions. This will re-expand the gasses in the deformed foam cells and hopefully bring it back up. Use a back side of a spoon to help shape. Let us know how it comes out.
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Jul 2011
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
Easy fix. Remove all components and pour hot water just off of boil over the compressed portions. This will re-expand the gasses in the deformed foam cells and hopefully bring it back up. Use a back side of a spoon to help shape. Let us know how it comes out.
Thanks.
Will try that, but I am even more worried about the structure having been too stressed and having become too weakened than about its shape. The battery compartment has become shorter and wider (the battery just falls out).

This plane, if it ever flies again, will crash again (and again, and again...). I am quite sure the thin section of the walls of the battery compartment will need some sort of reinforcement.

I guess I will probably have to find some way of taking out the motor mount - will probably need to cut the fuse front - so it does not become twisted from the heat. All in all, quite a bit of work.

My wife just laughed when I told her about. She tells me her father used to fly free flight models in the old days - balsa and IC motors, of course, that was some 50 years ago - and every weekend would bring the same show. He would go out flying for maybe two minutes and then come back home with the remains of the plane, which he would dutifully repair during the week so he could crash it again on the next weekend...

I have even considered rebuilding the whole front from ply and balsa, starting with a "firewall" just back of the battery compartment, but have some (well, a lot of...) misgivings, as I have never done anything of the sort.

Well, I'll see (and let you know when I do...)
GLFaria is offline Find More Posts by GLFaria
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:11 AM
Once you taste flight...
United States, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Dec 2011
2,767 Posts
Little CA, some CF or balsa helps too, I have beat the heck out of my noses on these birds, and they bounce back. Several places have spare fuses for cheap as well, Hobby Kings is under 10 bucks if memory serves me right.
skydvejam is offline Find More Posts by skydvejam
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:13 AM
Once you taste flight...
Joined Dec 2011
2,767 Posts
Mind you I do have 3 of these, or 4 if you count just fuses lol.... stock, and highly modded, they can scream when modded.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:22 AM
Joined Jul 2011
131 Posts
It's I (had to edit, the "I" was missing) who screamed, not the plane (that I could hear, at least )

I don't need a screaming plane, just one that I can keep in the air if I do my part...

Anyway, I will work on it as soon as my workbench is a little less crowded. I don't know if you ever felt that, but I take it for sure that in a home, when things find out there is a tinkerer of some sort, they manage to go out of order one after the other, if not several at the same time, just to keep you busy. Some minutes ago I just melt some parts of my coffee making machine (Italian moka type) when I forgot it on the stove while I attended to something else. Oh, well...

G.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:16 AM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,328 Posts
This will impress your wife...

Your next sailplane should be a Parkzone Radian. You will fly every weekend to extraordinarilly high altitudes, catch the smallest and largest of thermals, glide forever and return home again and again in one piece. The Radian will teach you about aerodynamic effects like no other sailplane too. Not only will your own levels of enthusiasm go off the charts but you will also impress the kids and people watching you fly and have fun at the same time. Maybe your wife will see what all the fun is about and try to fly.

My first sailplane was a Radian and I still own and fly it to date, they are amazing and I have captured some of the best on-board video sunsets looking over Lake Champlain. MoF, after two years and hundreds of flights I plan to fly it again today videoing fall foliage in Vermont.

Check out my videos...
http://www.youtube.com/user/kewlartdesigns

I love my little sky surfer, but there are so many other really nice flying sailplanes that will blow you away. Hope this helps your enthusiasm. Cheers, Thompson
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Oct 2010
16 Posts
Hi,
this evening I was making some adjustment to the servos and during and engine test, the propeller simply came out from engine shaft!
I think it will need some glue, which kind is the best one?
Or can u suggest me the best way to reattach it whitout the risk to loose the propeller in the field?

Thanks,
Nicola
piumach is offline Find More Posts by piumach
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Jul 2011
131 Posts
studioRS, thanks for the encouragement. I think my next plane will still be a repaired skysurfer, but maybe later...

piumach, welcome to the club! (just take a look at some past posts in this thread)
These days I dab a little CA glue on the motor shaft, wait for it to dry somewhat, so it makes for a slightly thicker and less slippery surface, and then push in the prop.
Previously I did not wait for the CA to dry, just pushed in the prop immediatly after applying the glue, and that did not seem as reliable, maybe because the CA didn't adhere so well to that kind of plastic.
A spare prop would not be a bad investment...

G.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:31 AM
Once you taste flight...
Joined Dec 2011
2,767 Posts
Thick CA is great for the prop as well. The Nine Eagles Sky Climber is a wonderful 4 channel 2 meter glider, nothing wrong with the Radian, but why loose a channel?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:44 AM
Joined Oct 2010
16 Posts
Thanks @GLFaria and @skydvejam, I will try with CA as you suggested ;-)
piumach is offline Find More Posts by piumach
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:32 AM
Joined Jul 2011
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydvejam View Post
Thick CA is great for the prop as well. The Nine Eagles Sky Climber is a wonderful 4 channel 2 meter glider, nothing wrong with the Radian, but why loose a channel?
Thanks, any better/bigger plane will have to wait (just look at the financial scene and prospects in the southern countries in Europe, you will understand why)
But I'll be looking around, some day - they give it about ten years... - things will improve and I will be ready by then

G.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Long wires on new batteries, a problem?

Hi there.
I just got my 3 new zippy 350mah batteries from HK and they come with longer cables than the originals is this a problem?
Thanks.
supermoth is offline Find More Posts by supermoth
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Back to the prop issue.

Finally I was able to get a prop replacement just in case.I read several stories regarding dumping the prop while in flight.Isn't about time for Nine Eagles to fix the prop issue?
Regads
SM
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
To lube or not to lube?

Being all the flying time around the beach is a good idea to lube the propshaft after every flight? or could it damage the engine?

Thanks
SM
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLFaria View Post
Thanks, any better/bigger plane will have to wait (just look at the financial scene and prospects in the southern countries in Europe, you will understand why)
But I'll be looking around, some day - they give it about ten years... - things will improve and I will be ready by then

G.
Hi there.I feel your pain.I hope you can refurbish your Surfer and keeping on flying for a long time.
Cheers
SM