HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:20 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Build Log
Scratch-Built Mini Scorpion 60"L X 44"W(flight footage*finally*)

I have always really liked this aircraft and called and was told it would be at least 6 months before the smaller E-Version would be in production..That they were having problems with getting it going...
So I decided to build my own from depron and stratigically placed plywood..

I had started a large F22 but had to put it on the back burner due to the cost it was going to require to finish..I figured I could do a single motor setup with the funding I had so I hose to start the scorpion..

I certainly didn't build this to piss off AD and would never try to make money on their beautiful aircraft...Just wanted a mini-version so out comes the blades and glue...lol..

This aircraft topped out at 5.7 lbs ready to fly with batteries...This is the prototype and I will start on another one trying to shave about 2 pounds from the overall weight..I built this one from pis only and learned a lot about where I can save a lot of weight...The main weight gain was using the posterboard backed depron throughout the interrior for strenth..This was a huge overkill...
I also had to skin her in depron aero which is far to soft and dings far to easy...Next one will use standard depron and carbon fiber for strenth..
Or should I glass her.......(chris scratches head....)Oh well,lets try to get this one up on her maiden first...

I have not put paint on yet as I have not decided on the final design/color..

I also wanted to add that this was built from pictures only ..There are no plans out there and I would never have thought this possible (for me) to build this if not for you guys here showing me what is possible with depron and similar foams and a little heat...A big thank you all!!!!!You guys certainly rock for giving me(and others) the confidence to take on a scratch built project!!

Here goes......................
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Last edited by Hover or die; Oct 26, 2011 at 08:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:23 AM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
More pics...
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:28 AM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
More pics for the interested..
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:30 AM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
A few more pics....
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:40 AM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Whats inside....
Power system:2-thunder power 45C batteries
Castle Creations Phoenix Ice 100amp esc
Velocity RC motor(1900-2000watt 2900kv 6s in Delta V-15 fan)
3 axis gyro-stabilization system
Spectrum 7 channel reciever
JR and Hitec servos throughout..
RCLander 360 degree thrust vector system with sullivan flex cables

Test flight will e today or tomorrow...CG seems to be right on...Will try to get a video for you guys to see her in the air...
Thanks for all the ideas and help from you guys getting started here...
I guess it's time to get that raptor bak out and on the table..I can just see the big smile on my wifes face....LOL..
Take care all......................................Chris
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:37 PM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
863 Posts
You have been busy... It looks awesome, looking forward to see the maiden video- good luck on the maiden.
frank40 is online now Find More Posts by frank40
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:14 PM
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,598 Posts
Looks like a very nice build. Did you have any plans to go by?
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:33 AM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Thanks Frank!
I am still waiting for this heat wave to back off a little before heading to the flying site..I really enjoyed building and figuring out how to go about doing so..Was certainly a challenge and I learned a lot about building from this bird...I am working on putting together a park flier-like plan that does not copy the original aircraft too much..
I just love the look of this jet!!

djacob7,
there are no plans for this availible as it is a production aircraft from Aviation Design..There are enought pics around to get the general outlines and you just have to go with trial and error until you get something you like on paper and work it into the model..I used a lot of posterboard paper to cutout the parts and test fit and then cut it out of foam after getting something I like..
Very enjoyable and gives you a feeling of pulling it off on your own...I would say I spent as much or more time thinking of how to make something work as I did actually building..
I had to use depron aero on the skin and it dings far too easy compared to standard depron...A real disappointment having to fix dings daily.(from simply handling the aircraft!).By using the right materials and having some kind of plan/direction to go by should allow me to shave nearly 2 pounds from my next build..

Is this the first scorpion built from foam on the site?I have not been able to search up anything here....Take care all...........................Chris
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:38 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,517 Posts
Nice work. Good luck on the maiden.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:50 PM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Thanks!I appreciate you guys stopping in to let me know how it looks..I know it is rough and needs quite a bit of body work but I will probably leave as is and build a stronger lighter version..I have high hopes and really like the look of this bird in all versions they make her in..(Scorpion,Super Scorpion and E- Scorpion..)
I also wanted to add that I can take out the 4 fan mount screws slide it forward and then I can slide the exhaust tube forward to access the 2 elevator servos and the 2 thrust vector servos..I put a small hole in the bottom of the fuselage and a small hole in the top over the 2 elevator servos and can adjust them without having to pull any screws and parts..It works very good and I have to really crank out on the set screws for them to fall out of the set...I just use 1 turn out, adjust, and 1 turn back..
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:15 AM
Go FASST or go home...
Bergen, Norway
Joined Nov 2002
3,123 Posts
This is an impressive build, and as far as I know a first off here on rcg. I have several clubmates that flies the turbine version and you really have captured the lines of this one - well done!!

Would love to see a video of it in the air! Best of luck on your maiden

Ben_E
Ben_E is offline Find More Posts by Ben_E
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:18 AM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Ben,
thank you for stopping in and for the nice comments..I am new to this type of building but must admit I love it..I've built flat depron F22's and flown them for a couple years now but just starting in the 3 demensional skinning of the airframe...I knew you could heat and bend the dep but never thought it could be manipulated in such a manner...
I have to give thanks to all the builders right here because this is where I learned to build this jet..Buy reading the scratchbuild threads and seeing how you guys put em' together..
I'm putting together the parts on paper to build this much easier..I'm getting new depron today to rebuild this thing in a lighter version..By getting this one together I now know where I can use a single piece of foam instead or 2,3 or even 4 pieces putting it together for the first time from pictures..I'm going to try to get the parts(foam) down to as few as possible and if anyone might be interested in putting one together I will see if I can get it on paper(parts:shape and size)..
The new one should be much nicer and put together saving 1-1/2 to 2 lbs.
I know 1-1/2 is very doable...
a few more pics with some paint on board..
I did fly her once(no aerobatics) and need to adjust the batteries forward(tail-heavy cg)..Basically a take off and landing..CG was in need of adjustment before I crash her..It seems shes going to be a pussycat to fly once adjusted...high hopes...
Take care.......................Chris
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:27 AM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
863 Posts
Hey Chris

I'm really looking forward to see some video, great build.
frank40 is online now Find More Posts by frank40
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:37 AM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Frank,
Thanks friend!
Yes I have a nice,small digital camcorder(harddrive type) but have had problems getting the videos uploaded to utube..It seems like it is going to take 2 to 3 hours to upload and I usually lose my internet connection(wireless)before the process finishes..I have some 3-d flight videos I have repeatedly try to upload..
I am going to mount my cam to a helmet and see if it works out ok as I can only get someone to video me on the weekends and then only if lucky..

Thanks for all the help you have provided me since my arrival here.....................Chris
Old Aug 02, 2011, 07:40 AM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
OK,
I have started on an ultra-light version so I can get my thrust up to 1-1/2 to 1 or possibly 2 to 1...I want to 3d this jet and plan to make it happen..It has a 3 axis stabilizer that should allow me to hover if I get the thrust issue worked out...
More to come....................Chris

I am keeping a paper cutout of each part so I can create some type of parkjet plan for others to use if there is interest.....