HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:08 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
549 Posts
Dion and others,

4m is a pretty big wing, and if it's a scale bird I think it would be the heaviest yet on the OneWinch.

As others have pointed out, having good tension at the start is key. If trying ROG I would either have someone hold the plane (or have a release mechanism) so you don't waste all your line capacity getting up to speed.

Don't forget that the limiting factor is power. Instead of putting the tow strap around one person's waist you could remove the buckle and have two people pull from the ends. This is uncharted territory, but putting two people instead of one on the business end of the pulleys is well within the equipment's capacity.

Tim
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:39 PM
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
411 Posts
Excellent way to launch a sailplane

We had a perfect flying day here in SE Minnesota today, so friend of mine and I went to the local sailplane flying site. He brought his OneWinch with him. He has launched 2 Meter planes with it but hadn't launched a 3 Meter plane with it yet.

We used the OneWinch to launch my 3 Meter Mirage. My friend said it did require more effort to launch the Mirage than it had taken to launch the 2 Meter planes, but the amount of effort required was not excessive at all. We launched into a 5 - 6 mph breeze. I am so very impressed with this way of launching a sailplane! The OneWinch is so much smoother and more controlled than a Hi Start or an electric winch. Sometimes my friend hardly needed to pull backwards at all. The plane just went up like a kite. We consistently and easily launched to the maximum height the standard OneWinch is set for (500').

I am very impressed with the OneWinch. I don't think I will ever use my 3 Meter Hi Start again.

Ray
RayPB is offline Find More Posts by RayPB
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:11 PM
DLGFPVBAJAOCD
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
3,595 Posts
Adding this to my Xmas list. Does Santa read RCG?
electrich is online now Find More Posts by electrich
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:13 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,380 Posts
He will be when I get done explaining the scenario!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Address
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:01 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,469 Posts
I hope no one minds if I occasionally inject these links into the discussion. Video really helps people understand how the OneWinch works so I show where the launch videos are that I posted.

Posted several reports starting on bottom of the page.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1473778&page=9
Videos on this page - around post 158.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...473778&page=11
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3 Posts
I fly RCs at a full scale ultalight grass field when they are not flying. When using a high start I worry about someone coming in to land that I didn’t know about and the high start getting caught up in the full size plane. With the high start it may take me a moment to get to the shoot and secure the line, how much easer will this be with the Onewinch? I do not set up on the runway but the high start may end up across it, would I have the same problem with the Onewinch?
chris24354 is offline Find More Posts by chris24354
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:30 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,469 Posts
You might.

Like a hi-start there is line and a chute. Since you should be launching into the wind, the wind should bring the chute back toward you. My experience is that this works as well or better with the one winch. however if the wind shifts cross wind the chute can go .... wherever, with either one.

One option is to remove the chute. Use a streamer. The line will tend to fall straight down rather than be carried away with the wind. It comes out of the sky faster and will likely be more in lie with your hi-start or the OneWinch.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:41 AM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris24354 View Post
I fly RCs at a full scale ultalight grass field when they are not flying. When using a high start I worry about someone coming in to land that I didn’t know about and the high start getting caught up in the full size plane. With the high start it may take me a moment to get to the shoot and secure the line, how much easer will this be with the Onewinch? I do not set up on the runway but the high start may end up across it, would I have the same problem with the Onewinch?
Chris,

Good question.

The OneWinch allows you to pull in the line as far as you want - like "tapping down the chute" in a contest.
You wouldn't usually do this, because normally you stop pulling as soon as the sailplane drops the chute. This allows the wind to bring the chute most of the way back to the launch point.

However, if if a full scale bird is approaching and the line is in the way, you can just grab the handle and walk back about 100 feet. This would pull the chute out of harm's way - right back to the turnaround if you want.

Tim
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
Last edited by 2motheus; Dec 08, 2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:11 PM
United States, TX, Kemp
Joined Jul 2012
10 Posts
ok go to your local high school football field not many horses there i hope
oedjrplanenutz is offline Find More Posts by oedjrplanenutz
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:17 AM
Australia, NSW, Dubbo
Joined Dec 2009
182 Posts
Any Australian users out there?
I have a unit on order and would be interested in hearing from the Aussies.

Gregg
ggergk is offline Find More Posts by ggergk
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:12 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,469 Posts
My OneWinch is on loan to a friend, and for me this is slope soaring season so the It could be months before I could try this. It would be cool to have a retriver set-up.

I was thinking that a spinning rod could be used as a retriver. Might not work with a hi-start since you have to drag that bulky/heavy rubber along the ground, through the grass. But with a OneWinch you don't have that issue.

Has anyone given this a try?
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:56 PM
United States, NY, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2011
426 Posts
Wouldn't a retriver complicate the simplicity of the one winch?
tailsld is offline Find More Posts by tailsld
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:14 PM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,600 Posts
They also contribute to the waistline.
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:35 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsld View Post
Wouldn't a retriver complicate the simplicity of the one winch?
Yes, and an automatic transmission contributes to the mechanical complexity of a car.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 08:23 AM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Yes, and an automatic transmission contributes to the mechanical complexity of a car.
I agree, that's why all of my cars are manual shifters....
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics