HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:21 PM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,718 Posts
I've almost got my wife convinced that this should be my Christmas present this year.
dion9146 is online now Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:41 PM
United States, NY, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2011
474 Posts
dion... I am thinking early x-mas?
tailsld is offline Find More Posts by tailsld
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:50 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
You better place your orders early as I doubt Tim, as a small business, keep a ton of inventory laying around.

The good thing is that the one winch will work in cold weather so you can use it to fly on New Year's day even in the North.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:08 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,448 Posts
Hi Tim,

Just wanted to let you know my OneWinch arrived today safe and sound. I can't wait to get it setup and to start launching sailplanes.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:35 PM
Always room for one more!
United States, MI, Midland
Joined Jul 2012
204 Posts
My wife told me I just have to wait until November then I can get one. Looks to me to be the answer I've been looking for, dont much care for a winch, lost a good 2M when the thing locked and the plane went thru the turn around. And this will cut my high start area needed in half if not more.
chawkins is offline Find More Posts by chawkins
Old Aug 15, 2012, 04:15 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,116 Posts
I had the same deal with my Wife last year.It was worth the wait.
Wayne the raven should be a real treat on the one winch.
Any thoughts on a self launcher yet?I might try and make my own.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Aug 15, 2012, 04:29 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc993 View Post
I had the same deal with my Wife last year.It was worth the wait.
Wayne the raven should be a real treat on the one winch.
Any thoughts on a self launcher yet?I might try and make my own.
Hi Doc,

All the woodwork is complete on the Raven, I have the servos mounted and the elevator control rod connected. I am routing the rudder cables next and then its onto the spoiler servos. Getting closer every day.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:02 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Hi Tim,

Just wanted to let you know my OneWinch arrived today safe and sound. I can't wait to get it setup and to start launching sailplanes.

Wayne
Thanks, Wayne. I was hoping you would receive it in time for the weekend, but we just missed that. Please let us know how it works for you.

Tim
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:43 PM
Mississauga ON Canada
Joined Feb 2007
131 Posts
I received my OneWinch 2 days ago. We tried it out for the first time today at our Southern Ontario Glider Group (SOGGI) club field just south of Hamilton Ontario. This was after an ALES contest, so I was the only pilot who brought a plane with a tow hook to try out the winch.

No problems whatsover in setting it up. We have a big field and the wind was blowing from the field entry gate. So rather than walk the entire length of the field I eyeballed the distance needed between the ground and turnaround pulleys. I just made it as the line became taut before I reached the hedge. Turns out the distance was 210 paces.

Any additional time needed to set up relative to a Hi-Start is insignificant, even with this first time use.

In accordance with Tim's advice we tested it with a light model and a helper first doing the pulling. The plane was 19oz, 1.5m span . She launched perfectly each time on several launches with 2 different pullers. I then pulled myself using the belt and also had no problems. Once the plane was off the line I just released the belt buckle with my left hand and let it drop on the grass.

The tow hook position was not moved from that used with a Hi-Start.

I forgot to take my RAM3 to the field, so unfortunately couldn't measure the launch height, but it was easily comparable to a 2m Hi-Start.

Rewinding the line with a cordless drill was also no problem, although one needs to keep tension on the line for the last few feet as it easily becomes slack on the reel.

We are looking forward to trying it out with heavier models and I'll post the results in due course.

Tim, all the club members who were present were impressed by the quality of the OneWinch and its performance. I am not disappointed.

Andy
Andy Meysner is offline Find More Posts by Andy Meysner
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:08 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
560 Posts
Thank you for the report, Andy. I'm glad it went well for you. We look forward to further reports.

Yes - at the end of winding in the line is really moving, and with very little resistance. I usually look for the approaching end loop and switch to a lower drill speed. This makes it safer.

Tim
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:17 PM
United States, NY, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2011
474 Posts
I use the shaft of the hammer laid over the line to keep some tension on the line as I wind it up.
Rick
tailsld is offline Find More Posts by tailsld
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:28 AM
Mississauga ON Canada
Joined Feb 2007
131 Posts
Tried out a 28oz 2m plane with no problems.

However I'm wondering whether my technique near the apogee of the launch is wrong and I'm pulling back too much when the tension on the line starts to reduce. My launch heights are 300 ft with about a 25ft zoom. Is it better to stop pulling back when the tension reduces and allow the plane to 'kite' to gain more altitude near the end of the launch? Maybe even walk forward a bit to allow more line out like a kite? I thought perhaps I'm preventing a higher launch height by shortening the line too much.

On a separate note, the first time I used the OneWinch I discovered the hard way how important it is to pay attention to rewind the line on the spool neatly. I did not rewind it tight enough. It came off the spool during transit and it took considerable time to unravel the resulting tangle. Now I keep tension during rewinding with a gloved hand and traverse the line up and down the length of the spool to provide an evenly wound line. I also made up an elasticated fabric/velcro wrap to ensure the line stays on the spool when fully wound.

Andy
Andy Meysner is offline Find More Posts by Andy Meysner
Last edited by Andy Meysner; Sep 14, 2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:04 AM
Hamilton, CANADA
Joined Sep 2009
339 Posts
Hey Andy.. great report... looking forward to seeing it in action.
Will it launch a 3.5 m..??
Had the pleasure of meeting Tim and chatting with him, at Muncie.

Hope you can bring it to the first club meeting for show and tell..

Cheers
Ray
Upvector is offline Find More Posts by Upvector
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:14 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upvector View Post
Hey Andy.. great report... looking forward to seeing it in action.
Will it launch a 3.5 m..??
Had the pleasure of meeting Tim and chatting with him, at Muncie.

Hope you can bring it to the first club meeting for show and tell..

Cheers
Ray
I have launched a 3.4M Graphite so, yes.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:32 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
Suggested launch procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Meysner View Post
Tried out a 28oz 2m plane with no problems.

However I'm wondering whether my technique near the apogee of the launch is wrong and I'm pulling back too much when the tension on the line starts to reduce. My launch heights are 300 ft with about a 25ft zoom. Is it better to stop pulling back when the tension reduces and allow the plane to 'kite' to gain more altitude near the end of the launch? Maybe even walk forward a bit to allow more line out like a kite? I thought perhaps I'm preventing a higher launch height by shortening the line too much.

snip...

Andy
The amount of breeze is important as the more the breeze the less you pull. See my reports and launch videos earlier in the thread (around post 145 I think)

Posted a report starting about here with videos around post 158. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...newinch&page=9

ESL Newsletter - Go to the 4th post for the report
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=453

In short, my experience is to give it a good throw and a strong pull till the wind catches it, then just hold tension and let the wind take it up. The less line you pull in the higher it can go.

I found it better to launch with flaps and ailerons neutral and then apply a launch mix once the glider is flying, say at about 50 feet. This is the same way I fly my hi-starts when my glider has an agressive hook position.

When you get to about 60 to 70 degrees, build up the tension, put the nose down slightly to gain some speed, then pull up and turn that speed into altitude. A common mistake is to wait till you are at 90 degrees to pull up. At that time your line is pulling you down and you are losing air speed. 60 to 70 degrees the glider is going up and you have your best oppty to convert speed to altitude.

On a RES glider, there is nothing to do in terms of mixes.

On my full house gliders I use a launch mix with flaps and ailerons down about 15 degrees. As I start that 60 degree zoom sequence I move to reflex, slight flaps/ailerons up so the glider can gain speed more easily, then pull up and go to neutral at the top of the zoom. That is the sequence I use on an electric winch and I think I do the same on the Onewinch. These things become so automatic it is hard to say what I am doing and when or if I adjust somewhat with the Onewinch.

When using flaps or flaps and aileron launch mix you might want to experiment with those camber changes.

Below is copied from Post 162:

We got good launches with planes from 24 to 60 ounces and from 2M to 3.1 M wing spans. If I wanted to adjust the hook positions I am sure my 3.4M Supra and Graphtie would launch just fine. ( did that later on the Graphite with good results)

*Pretensioning prior to release builds up energy in the line which helps get the plane up to flying speed.

*If there is a breeze, the walk back will be less than if it is calm.

*With a small breeze, once you hit the "tension point" there really does not seem to be much value in fighting to keep the line moving. Just hold tension and the glider will climb.

* The hook position would be the primary tuning point for successful launches, in my opinion.

* If you want to play with launch mixes, try applying the mix at about 50 feet or once the plane is flying and climbing nicely. I found it better to launch neutral and then apply a launch mix. This is the same way I fly my hi-starts.
Last edited by aeajr; Sep 14, 2012 at 10:04 AM.