HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:53 AM
Registered User
xwingnut's Avatar
The Great NorthWest
Joined May 2007
1,029 Posts
Last week's attempt was a bust due to the kids on the property. Looked like the 1st annual little people's sidewalk chalk grind off. This week was different.
Yesterday conditions were a perfect sunny and 72 with a 6 knot NE wind. The 3.2m used is right at 80oz with the hook about 3/4" forward of the CG. Had a chance at the slope last week to trim it out so that part wasn't on my mind.
The launch was rather easier than expected. I'm definitely now convinced this winch will launch about anything. The video is of the first launch of the day. Got a little crazy at first but managed to straighten things out. Note to self: rudder on high rate for launch! The 2nd attempt went higher probably due to keeping it straight while on the line.
My girth (bought-n-paid for) provided the needed line tension by simply walking it back a few steps. It did feel a little awkward but I suspect that feeling will eventually diminish. This was only the 7th time using the winch.
Backed up the sled approximately to the passengers door on the van.
I plan to use the winch a lot more in the near future so I can become more comfortable with it. Purchased extra 150lb mono line to experiment with.

Ken



OneWinch80oz3m (0 min 55 sec)
xwingnut is offline Find More Posts by xwingnut
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:32 PM
Registered User
doc993's Avatar
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,118 Posts
Awesome thanks for posting that .It's the highest launch,and largest plane I've seen yet.This week end with a re trimmed plane will be interesting.
doc993 is online now Find More Posts by doc993
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:50 PM
Never left one up there yet...
mdjohnson's Avatar
Canada, BC, Campbell River
Joined Jun 2009
98 Posts
There was some talk on a previous thread about different weights of the tower making a difference but I have not seen the results. Reason I ask is I just ordered an Xplorer 4.0 and I am seriously considering the OneWinch for a quick and dirty alternative to my FLS winch. I forgot to mention that I am 240 lbs of fighting flab and the X4 should come out under 80 oz.

Also need the excercise.

Cheers

MJ
mdjohnson is offline Find More Posts by mdjohnson
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:07 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
2motheus's Avatar
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
560 Posts
Ken,

Thank you for the great video. I like the way it follows the plane up, showing how well even a heavy plane will go up on the OneWinch with a little breeze.

I noticed that on tow you're leaving the lines laying in the retrieval hook. If you take them out of the hook and let them go straight out the bottom of the sled you will reduce the drag of the system.

Regards,
Tim
2motheus is online now Find More Posts by 2motheus
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:00 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
2motheus's Avatar
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjohnson View Post
There was some talk on a previous thread about different weights of the tower making a difference but I have not seen the results. Reason I ask is I just ordered an Xplorer 4.0 and I am seriously considering the OneWinch for a quick and dirty alternative to my FLS winch. I forgot to mention that I am 240 lbs of fighting flab and the X4 should come out under 80 oz.

Also need the excercise.

Cheers

MJ
MJ,

We've never claimed that the OneWinch is for everybody. But if you're willing to lean into it the OneWinch will serve your purposes well.

We have one customer who tops 300 and uses his a lot. He launches a 3.2m 80 oz ship, so your Explorer will go up more easily. The key is to get tension built before release. You should be good at that. Then you need to move back steadily after release. Others with more experience with big planes can confirm this.

On the other end of the scale is bigwheels0 who weighs 150 and launches his Pike with the OneWinch. If I'm not mistaken he's about 70 years old. He's the one who's perfected his backup and release technique to make the most of his lighter power source.

Tim

P.S. If you send us the plane we'd be glad to do some testing...
2motheus is online now Find More Posts by 2motheus
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:35 PM
Never left one up there yet...
mdjohnson's Avatar
Canada, BC, Campbell River
Joined Jun 2009
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2motheus View Post
MJ,

We've never claimed that the OneWinch is for everybody. But if you're willing to lean into it the OneWinch will serve your purposes well.

We have one customer who tops 300 and uses his a lot. He launches a 3.2m 80 oz ship, so your Explorer will go up more easily. The key is to get tension built before release. You should be good at that. Then you need to move back steadily after release. Others with more experience with big planes can confirm this.

On the other end of the scale is bigwheels0 who weighs 150 and launches his Pike with the OneWinch. If I'm not mistaken he's about 70 years old. He's the one who's perfected his backup and release technique to make the most of his lighter power source.

Tim

P.S. If you send us the plane we'd be glad to do some testing...

Thanks for your testing offer Tim!! I will consider it after a few years of flying the X4 myself!!

I will definately be interested in your product. From the feedback on this forum it seems like a very innovative and well thought out unit. I probably will not order until next Sept as I may be waiting (most probably) until then for my sailplane if it is not in this container due this week. How are you with stock?

Cheers

MJ
mdjohnson is offline Find More Posts by mdjohnson
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:11 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Captain Canardly's Avatar
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,559 Posts
could you test a new canard type too?
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:01 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,259 Posts
In my experience with the Onewinch the typical 150 0ound person should have no problem with a 5 pound/80 ounce plane.

Based on my earlier posts, to launch a 5 pound plane you need about 15 pounds of poll. With the 4 to1 ratio of the Onewinch. You need to provide about 60 pounds of poll with your legs. You exceed tha standing up.

It is not about strength as you lean against the line anjust step back.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:54 AM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
2motheus's Avatar
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canardly View Post
could you test a new canard type too?
Sure!

"Why is this tow hook mounted backwards?"
2motheus is online now Find More Posts by 2motheus
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:49 AM
Registered User
xwingnut's Avatar
The Great NorthWest
Joined May 2007
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2motheus View Post
Ken,
I noticed that on tow you're leaving the lines laying in the retrieval hook. If you take them out of the hook and let them go straight out the bottom of the sled you will reduce the drag of the system.
Regards,
Tim
Tim,
There was a number of things wrong on that launch. I've watched the videos on your site, read the instructions, launched 1/2 dozen times a week previous with the sled in the correct position but on that launch, with that plane, all I could think about was stalling. Those concerns were clearly unfounded. There was so much energy at release the plane didn't come anywhere near the stall point.
Before this I've never used any type of winch. Highstart experience consists of maybe a dozen catapults with a little 10oz Speedo II a few weeks ago. I do have decades of R/C experience but all my thermal/slope ships have only recently been acquired.
As a starting point for everyone, right or wrong I don't know, but I do know for me this choice was perfect. If I can open the box and make this winch work with a large glider then just about anyone with R/C experience, that can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time, should also be successful right from the start.

Ken
xwingnut is offline Find More Posts by xwingnut
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:32 PM
Registered User
hog2soar's Avatar
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
957 Posts
MJ,

Are you anywhere near Painters Lodge? Just curious. I love that place, I spent a week there about 15 or 20 years ago. Just after they rebuilt it.
What a beautifull place. I had a great fishing guide at that time. He was only 18 years old. Thor Johansen. Great kid.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:20 PM
Never left one up there yet...
mdjohnson's Avatar
Canada, BC, Campbell River
Joined Jun 2009
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hog2soar View Post
MJ,

Are you anywhere near Painters Lodge? Just curious. I love that place, I spent a week there about 15 or 20 years ago. Just after they rebuilt it.
What a beautifull place. I had a great fishing guide at that time. He was only 18 years old. Thor Johansen. Great kid.

Eddie
I'm about a 15 minute drive from Painters. Occasionally we go out on their deck for a lunch and a bevvy. It is a very beautiful area and for the most part still untouched but don't tell anyone!!An hour drive from here will put into the interior of the Island and it rivals anywhere in the Rockies. We go camping up there regularly. Winters are a little hard to take though as we get months of wind and monsoon like rains. That's why I head inot your area (Palm Springs) for a couple of months every winter.

This is a view off of my deck. The Alaska cruise ships go right past that point of land which is Quadra Island.

Cheers

MJ
mdjohnson is offline Find More Posts by mdjohnson
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 04, 2012, 03:17 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwingnut View Post
Last week's attempt was a bust due to the kids on the property. Looked like the 1st annual little people's sidewalk chalk grind off. This week was different.
Yesterday conditions were a perfect sunny and 72 with a 6 knot NE wind. The 3.2m used is right at 80oz with the hook about 3/4" forward of the CG. Had a chance at the slope last week to trim it out so that part wasn't on my mind.
The launch was rather easier than expected. I'm definitely now convinced this winch will launch about anything. The video is of the first launch of the day. Got a little crazy at first but managed to straighten things out. Note to self: rudder on high rate for launch! The 2nd attempt went higher probably due to keeping it straight while on the line.
My girth (bought-n-paid for) provided the needed line tension by simply walking it back a few steps. It did feel a little awkward but I suspect that feeling will eventually diminish. This was only the 7th time using the winch.
Backed up the sled approximately to the passengers door on the van.
I plan to use the winch a lot more in the near future so I can become more comfortable with it. Purchased extra 150lb mono line to experiment with.

Ken



https://vimeo.com/44935373
Great video!

Every time I see one of these Onewinch videos I am impressed with how little walking is required compared to a hi-start.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:44 PM
Registered User
United States, NY, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2011
474 Posts
Here is a vid from a wing cam on my 2 meter lilbird. The wind was quite shifty and clocked allmost 70 degrees on launch. Yep YIKES..only 150+ feet. I will try to get another this week to due the one winch justice. If it was a high start, well disaster comes to mind.
tailsld is offline Find More Posts by tailsld
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:51 PM
Registered User
United States, NY, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2011
474 Posts
okay did not load here ...it is in the video /sailplane section under one winch..sorry
tailsld is offline Find More Posts by tailsld
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion New discus launch method ? Nathan Schmoekel Hand Launch 8 Jan 22, 2009 09:13 PM
Discussion New launch method Larry051967 Hand Launch 34 Dec 30, 2008 08:30 AM
Art Hobby's Sling Shot launch method? John Gallagher Hand Launch 6 Sep 19, 2003 11:54 AM
Sling launch method John Gallagher Hand Launch 1 Sep 19, 2003 11:53 AM
GWS A-10 Best Method to launch walter40 Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 4 Jun 08, 2003 02:47 PM