HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:40 PM
Orlin the fpv-a-holic
Joined Dec 2010
196 Posts
Discussion
Eagle Tree RTH Setup Questions

In the Video OSD Setup Menu, Configure On-Screen Parameters, Safety Configuration Menu, there are a few things I don't understand. What are the correct settings for the following:

1) Choose Receiver Type. Is it PPM/ No FS or PCM/FS

(Receiver is Futaba R617FS)

2) Number of Failsafe Chans on RX: No FS Chs or 1 or 3+

3) Any other settings need to be changed or used in the Safety Menu?

How does the RTH actually get triggered?

My primary concern would be to get an empty channel on the RX to activate in the event video is lost.

In the event the TX is out of range and the plane cannot be controlled, would want to trigger RTH.

How does the RTH know where home is? Didn't see any option for this in the menu to setup gps coordinates.

Thanks
bigo66 is offline Find More Posts by bigo66
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2011, 02:49 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigo66 View Post
In the Video OSD Setup Menu, Configure On-Screen Parameters, Safety Configuration Menu, there are a few things I don't understand. What are the correct settings for the following:

1) Choose Receiver Type. Is it PPM/ No FS or PCM/FS

(Receiver is Futaba R617FS)

2) Number of Failsafe Chans on RX: No FS Chs or 1 or 3+

3) Any other settings need to be changed or used in the Safety Menu?

How does the RTH actually get triggered?

My primary concern would be to get an empty channel on the RX to activate in the event video is lost.

In the event the TX is out of range and the plane cannot be controlled, would want to trigger RTH.

How does the RTH know where home is? Didn't see any option for this in the menu to setup gps coordinates.

Thanks
bigo,

You should be setting it to FS. so I suppose that will be PCM FS.

I would assume that you will set up aproximately 3 fs channels:

Throttle, ailerons or rudder, and elevator. so it will be set to 3+

Other things to be aware of are your altitude. there are two altitudes in the new firmware. (Cruise altitude, and home altitude). If your home altitude is set to 0, then your plane will dive when it returns to home. so be aware of that and set it to an apropriate altitude.

There are also choices that pertain to the throttle when you arrive at home. there is a throttle cut, normal cruise throttle, and some other choice that I can't remember.

also, you may need to adjust your turnrate and climbrate/diverate parameters. just be aware of what your plane is doing when you activate it, and be ready to take control if something isn't right. then if it doesn't perform correctly you can callibrate it and test it until it is correct.

set your throttle failsafe to off, and full trim down. that should activate rth. You can test it in the flight simulator (with your motor disconnected).

set your control surfaces (failsafe) to level flight. OSD will take over and make adjustments to control the plane back home.

If you are using 3POS + rth, you can activate rth by switching aux 2.

Hope this helps.

Mike
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:16 AM
Joined Jun 2009
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigo66 View Post
These are exactly the question I had in mind when first looking into RTH functionality. But then I read the manual and alas, it was all explained there! ;D
Trnquill is offline Find More Posts by Trnquill
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:19 PM
Orlin the fpv-a-holic
Joined Dec 2010
196 Posts
Thanks Trnquill and Mike. Appreciate the thorough explanation. The manual is good but always want to hear from the pilots themselves. There is no simple way to get RTH up and running without configuration. Have to test the sim on the bench and probably try to log the flight. Not sure if the simulator can log in sim mode lol? Would be nice to see a flight plan with google maps or earth from the sim. Read too many posts of guys assuming RTH was working (yet never actually did a live test) and either the plane crashed or was lost. It's important live tests are done to ensure the plane will come home if the failsafe is triggered or signal is lost.

Orlin
bigo66 is offline Find More Posts by bigo66
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:58 PM
Joined Jun 2009
226 Posts
Yep. That's exactly why I'm planning on giving the RTH a go live as soon as I have it setup. I mounted FMA Co-Pilot to my Hobbyking Bixler yesterday and was going to try out the autoleveling and after that RTH today but... The Co-Pilot was just not working the way it supposed to. Elevator leveling was great but in aileron direction it did basically nothing. No stabilization what so ever. The ailerons did move when I tested it on the ground but I guess the deflection was just not enough for the plane to correct it's attitude. I had all the throw pots and stuff cranked up to the max but in avail. I just ripped the Co-Pilot off and am going to test the RTH without any stabilization tomorrow if weather permits.
Trnquill is offline Find More Posts by Trnquill