Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:32 AM
Lee Estingoy
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Joined May 2003
723 Posts
Alert
HV 120 modification offer

Hello all,

While we take all controller failures seriously, many have felt that our response to the HV120 problem was taking too long. We didn't make any official statements as we couldn't identify any particular pattern or cause for the failures. Our Repair Dept. keeps track of our returns and the returns - for any reason -- on the 120HV were actually very low, less than 3%. Given that we've produced more than 10,000 of these, that number is low. But for those unfortunate owners of one of the 3% that failure rate is still way too high.

We were able to test -- and destroy -- a number of HV 120s last week with the help of a very talented heli pilot. Through this process we determined that some, again some, setups stressed a particular component in a way that caused controllers to fail instantly. Adding capacitance to the setup did show promise as a solution but it is a rather cumbersome solution.

Unrelated to this particular problem, Castle has been working with a major component vendor to build these particular components to our specifications. We have just received a small quantity of sample parts for evaluation.

We gave the new components a shot in the HV 120s and found that they were a very tidy and seemingly complete solution to the matters plaguing that design.

We therefore are going to offer all who wish to return their HV120 for one that has this modification an opportunity to do so.

As mentioned above, the new component is just now coming into production and we don't have them in stock. We hope to have them as early as this week (July 18-22).

We will post particulars as to how to go about returning these and what the turn around time may be once we get those parts. Our Tech Support and Warranty people don't have any additional information, so calling them at this point will only lead to more frustration.

We apologize for any problems this matter may have caused, and we hope that our candor and willingness to repair these controllers will help maintain your trust in our products and service.

We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to putting this behind us all and going flying again.

Thanks,

Lee Estingoy
for Castle Creations, Inc.
lestingoy is offline Find More Posts by lestingoy
Last edited by Clintstone; Aug 29, 2013 at 10:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2011, 02:56 PM
3D... the only way to fly!
Kissimmee
Joined Apr 2010
336 Posts
Very cool guys!

I have many CC controllers, but no 120. A few of my field mates do have them, I will spread the word!
snjbird is offline Find More Posts by snjbird
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:09 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,248 Posts
Even though I am not affected by this you have earned my respect for stepping up and acknowledging it and offering a solution for it.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:14 PM
Michigan, East of Hell
Joined Jan 2009
91 Posts
Because I want to fly my HV120 equipped Furion 6 at IRCHA, will you be doing exchanges there and possibly provide a soldering station so people who exchange can solder their stuff there?

Sounds like a lot, I know. First, I would send my HV120 in, but I doubt I'd get it back before IRCHA. Two, it's probably going to be sweltering at IRCHA and I would be hesitant to fly my F6 in extreme heat without first knowing if my setup was at risk. Three, depending on when or if you'd be able to perform the exchange, the soldering station would save folks like me a trip back to the hotel to solder connectors and wire up our BEC Pro's.

Thanks!

Scott
dunkonu23 is offline Find More Posts by dunkonu23
Old Jul 20, 2011, 03:07 AM
Joined Apr 2011
5 Posts
**THANK YOU**

I have a CC-HV 120 sitting on the shelf for some time looking longingly at the 700 heli next to it with no ESC... With all the bad press (see my other post) I've been afraid to risk the expensive/dangerous heli.

Moves like this will keep customers like me coming back and recommending CC.

-Scott
scm6079 is offline Find More Posts by scm6079
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:49 AM
too cheap to be a Plus user
USA, WA, Richland
Joined Nov 2009
1,260 Posts
Thanks!

Sending my HV 120 in today.

Doug B.
dougbo is online now Find More Posts by dougbo
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:48 PM
Michigan, East of Hell
Joined Jan 2009
91 Posts
I think it's great you've acknowledged the problem. I'm certain you're very busy, please do consider my request for swaps at IRCHA. Currently, my Furion 6 is doing great with an ICE 120HV, but like I wrote in my previous post, I do not believe you'll be able to get it back to me before IRCHA. While I truly believe you're deluged by requests, my hope is that you'll take the time to consider swaps for those of us in my position and respond.

Thank you!

Scott
dunkonu23 is offline Find More Posts by dunkonu23
Old Jul 21, 2011, 05:45 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,655 Posts
Repair or Replace?

Does anyone know if CC is rebuilding your old ESC or replacing it with a new one?

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:04 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,655 Posts
ICE 80 Failures

I saw some comments on another forum inquiring if the ICE 80 HV was also on the recall list. Apparently there have a lot of recent failures of the 80 when used on the new Trex 600 with 12s LiPo.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 21, 2011, 09:05 AM
too cheap to be a Plus user
USA, WA, Richland
Joined Nov 2009
1,260 Posts
You get a another (I assume new) HV 120...

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...xicehv120.html

Quote:
NOTE: For purposes of fast turnaround, you will be sent another Phoenix Ice HV 120 controller. Remove all connectors, etc. from your ESC before shipping as they will not be returned with your replacement controller.

Not sure about the HV 80 failures. I assume that the new cases are an improvement. I should have two HV 80's in the air soon - 12S 600mm helicopters. Perhaps these failures are due to SA's from last year?

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...dvisories.html

Doug B.
dougbo is online now Find More Posts by dougbo
Last edited by dougbo; Jul 21, 2011 at 09:08 AM. Reason: link
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:27 PM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Sep 2009
10 Posts
This IS the reason I love CC
They find something they made has a problem they man up , admit it and offer to fix it. There's really only soooo few manufacturers that would be willing to do the same...
If nothing else this ensures I will still be buying my ESCs for my helis and cars from CC, no one else.
Thank You and keep up the good work....
Neriyah is offline Find More Posts by Neriyah
Old Jul 22, 2011, 05:16 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2009
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neriyah View Post
This IS the reason I love CC
They find something they made has a problem they man up , admit it and offer to fix it. There's really only soooo few manufacturers that would be willing to do the same...
If nothing else this ensures I will still be buying my ESCs for my helis and cars from CC, no one else.
Thank You and keep up the good work....
Would you have said the same if you had lost a heli worth a few thousands dollars due to under par electronic components in the ESC?

CC are doing the right thing now, still it took them almost a year to do so. In fact, I think they started to look into the ICE 120HV problems because they sell a lot of those bundled in the Align 700E kits and most likely Align freaked out on them. This is a good start in regaining customer trust, but they still have a lot to do about their other controllers in the ICE line that are notorious for catching on fire.
3Dmuse is offline Find More Posts by 3Dmuse
Old Jul 22, 2011, 05:51 PM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Sep 2009
10 Posts
Well I did loose one to Align electronics, switched to CC then and have not lost one after that. Maybe I got lucky, maybe not, but I am just speaking from personal experience... That being said I do get what you mean, I really do but good luck trying to get Align to admit that their products have anything wrong with em...
It's never fun to crash and when it's not your fault it's a lot worse.
Neriyah is offline Find More Posts by Neriyah
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:47 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,830 Posts
At least the good thing about the ICE HV-120 is that it does not have a BEC in it, so unless it shorts out, and takes the battery out, you "should" still have control, since you will have a separate BEC... Of course if you are a 100 feet up, and it catches on fire.... Hoooo boy!!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:44 AM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2005
63 Posts
Castle, you mention that the turn around for the HV120 is right away. I'm in the process of sending mine in for the recall, but there are folks on HF and RR. That had mention you guys are out of the HV120 for exchange, and that the wait would be about a month. Is there any truth to this?

BTW, would it be possible if I sent in my HV120 and trade in for the HV160 and pay the difference which I believe is around $50?
kouasupra is offline Find More Posts by kouasupra
Last edited by kouasupra; Jul 23, 2011 at 03:50 AM.
Closed Thread