Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:33 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlonb View Post
Hi Dennis,
I can see (some time) the 2 GPS string (Good or corrupted) with arduino serial monitor without having enabled the part of code you forseen for debug (if (1=0)....
I know this situation means that I have connected Arduino USB and GPS rx/tx at the same time and may be not fine.Connecting only rx/tx of GPS to arduino I can't see any data, nor time in left corner, only dots as per other datas.
The other strange think is that I connected TX of gps to TX of Arduino2009!!! Inverting this I can't receive any string on arduino serial monitor.
I verified that the update interval (do you mean 5Hz refresh?) and the command string is the same of yours in the sketch.

This evening I will try more, may be that TTL levels of RX/TX of GPS are not good for 5V supply/communication with arduino as data sheet show 3.3V TTL levels.

Ciao, Carlo
3.3V TTL level should be fine. If you have a separate FTDI converter / serial port you can try to connect the GPS directly.

And yes, TX on GPS should be connected to RX on Arduino.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:22 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,408 Posts
What do you think about incorporating a compass, maybe just a letter in which direction one is flying - N,NE,NW,S,SE,SW
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:26 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
What do you think about incorporating a compass, maybe just a letter in which direction one is flying - N,NE,NW,S,SE,SW
Change a single line and you will have the compass-heading instead of the home-heading (the arrow will still point home)
It was actually the plan to show the compass-heading below the arrow - but I completely forgot about it.

Good idea
Old Aug 29, 2011, 04:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
17 Posts
can You guys look at my pics on page 20 please? i'm stuck on this

btw, nice trip, fpv footage would be awesome
Jancis is offline Find More Posts by Jancis
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:41 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jancis View Post
can You guys look at my pics on page 20 please? i'm stuck on this

btw, nice trip, fpv footage would be awesome
Difficult to tell.
You have found a potentiometer, 3 resistors, a diode and a capacitor

The potentiometer:
I can't tell what potentiometer it is. You can maybe see it on the case - but you can just measure the resistance with a multimeter.

The resistors:
I would just use a multimeter, can't remember the color-codes. You can check the color-codes here:
http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Electronics/Color/

The capacitor:
It's just used to AC-couple the video-signal, so it's not very important to use the same value as shown in the schematic.

The diode:
You don't know the name? You will need more than 1 diode. Other diodes than 4148 should work as well, but I have just used 4148 as I got a bunch of them laying around.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:07 AM
Joined Aug 2011
17 Posts
yep, those resistors have value as listed: 10K, 100K and 220K. Pot is 50K and diodes are 4148. And it's 10mF capacitator. I just wasn't sure if that's the right kind of pot and capacitator. I am not too sure if they differ tho'. (yes, i have several diodes and resistors as listed on schema)

Ok, I'll try to build it all together one more time using 1st schema, Classic Arduino and breadboard. Thanks for reassuring those components are ok to use
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:11 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
yep, those resistors have value as listed: 10K, 100K and 220K. Pot is 50K and diodes are 4148. And it's 10mF capacitator. I just wasn't sure if that's the right kind of pot and capacitator. I am not too sure if they differ tho'. (yes, i have several diodes and resistors as listed on schema)

Ok, I'll try to build it all together one more time using 1st schema, Classic Arduino and breadboard. Thanks for reassuring those components are ok to use
If you mean 220K resistor that's your problem. The 220 value is ohm, not k ohm

220K ohm will not allow the SPI-output to change the video-signal at all (at least not visible).
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:17 AM
Joined Aug 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
If you mean 220K resistor that's your problem. The 220 value is ohm, not k ohm

220K ohm will not allow the SPI-output to change the video-signal at all (at least not visible).
ok, I'm gonna facepalm myself to death now :/
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:20 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
a little update..
I received a 16 mhz arduino compatible simpleOSD from flytron, while i was on vacation (a big thanks to flytron).

Only minor changes has been made to the code and it seems to work perfect.

At the moment it prints out text etc. just fine
So far I have only made a quick test - but hopefully an updated code-version will be available when I get some time.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:22 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
ok, I'm gonna facepalm myself to death now :/
So, I guess you did mean 220K ohm

I hope that will fix your problem
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:09 AM
Joined Aug 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
So, I guess you did mean 220K ohm
Yes, my mistake

something's on the screen! it works! thank You guys.

i noticed ATMEGA168 Arduino only works with V1 code. I happened to have ATMEGA368 too and it works with V4 Ok, this is not the case for You because both nano and pro have 368, just posted that for information

Have to set up GPS now and then will start poking the code.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 03:16 PM
Italia, Lombardia, Milano
Joined Jun 2010
146 Posts
Hi Dennis, please give me some instructions/confirmation.
I tested my GPS http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=204.
directly with a usb adapter and I received the 2 data strings correctly using Windows Hyperterminal at 9600 baud, I had a continuous flow of perfect strings up to I close the connection.

Connecting GPS to arduino2009 and running the OSD S/W I can't see any data on gogles, only dots.

1) How can I use arduino serial monitor ? is enough change the "if(1=0) to "if(1=1)...." on debug area of your sketch to see the strings? I tried but nothing!

2) I will see a continuous flow of data or once a time after each opening of serial monitor ? I tried but nothing!

3) Why you point at fourth location "if (GPSbuffer[4]=='R')" of received string buffer to detect the $GPRMC..... string ? Starting from zero the "R" is on Third location as the "$" is part of string.

All this is strange and seems that something conflict with serial comm on arduino with my GPS.

Help me please, thanks

Ciao, carlo
carlonb is offline Find More Posts by carlonb
Last edited by carlonb; Aug 30, 2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:37 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Hi Dennis, please give me some instructions/confirmation.
I tested my GPS http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=204.
directly with a usb adapter and I received the 2 data strings correctly using Windows Hyperterminal at 9600 baud, I had a continuous flow of perfect strings up to I close the connection.

Connecting GPS to arduino2009 and running the OSD S/W I can't see any data on gogles, only dots.

1) How can I use arduino serial monitor ? is enough change the "if(1=0) to "if(1=1)...." on debug area of your sketch to see the strings? I tried but nothing!

2) I will see a continuous flow of data or once a time after each opening of serial monitor ? I tried but nothing!

3) Why you point at fourth location "if (GPSbuffer[4]=='R')" of received string buffer to detect the $GPRMC..... string ? Starting from zero the "R" is on Third location as the "$" is part of string.

All this is strange and seems that something conflict with serial comm on arduino with my GPS.

Help me please, thanks

Ciao, carlo
Arduino 2009 uses Atmega168 - right?
If you look a few posts back Jancis wrote that Atmega 168 only works with code version 1.
Anyway - if there is enough memory it should work on Atmega 168 as well.

And your question...
1) Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to use the Arduino serial monitor. You can send GPS strings from your pc and check if it returns the same strings.

2) When debugging you should get a continuous flow of GPS-strings. Everytime it have received a complete string it will return it (if I remember correctly, the code is on another computer and I can't remember what the debugging function actually does)

3) To be honest, I simply can't remember..
Probably an ugly fix - will have to check tomorrow.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:39 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,506 Posts
Welcome back Dennis, the trip looked fabulous.

The OSD project has been fun. Thanks for all the info.

I've been trying to figure out my voltage problem. As of now I'm running my voltage thru a divider on pin A3. The only way it'll show voltage is to disconnect and reconnect pin 6 on the arduino Pro Mini and even then its not accurate all the time. LOL

I'm sure somewhere along the line something on my end is incorrect or wrong variable. LOL Thanks as always, great project to share with us.
mrfliboy is offline Find More Posts by mrfliboy
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:45 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfliboy View Post
Welcome back Dennis, the trip looked fabulous.

The OSD project has been fun. Thanks for all the info.

I've been trying to figure out my voltage problem. As of now I'm running my voltage thru a divider on pin A3. The only way it'll show voltage is to disconnect and reconnect pin 6 on the arduino Pro Mini and even then its not accurate all the time. LOL

I'm sure somewhere along the line something on my end is incorrect or wrong variable. LOL Thanks as always, great project to share with us.
It should work without any problems. Have you tried with a quick arduino-sketch and checked if you get better readings? Something like

void setup() {
int voltageReading =0;
pinMode(1,INPUT);
Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
voltageReading = analogRead(1);
Serial.println(voltageReading);
delay(250);
}

Remember atmega takes readings very fast - you can use it as a slow scope. To get a stable reading you will need a pretty stable voltage source or add a little lowpass filter.

I made a quick voltage-reading a couple of hours ago (for battery-voltage reading), worked without problems.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:03 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
4 hours of sleep, a normal work day, a meeting, a couple of beers with some friends - and now, late in the night, a quick implementation of battery-voltage....
Don't expect any miracles - but it have been tested and works fine...

The entire code/project have also been verified to work on SimpleOSD (16 mhz version). A version with support for both SimpleOSD (16 mhz version) and arduino should be available soon.

These 'variables' have been added (okay, voltageline is not a variable):
#define voltageline 252
unsigned char voltager[] = {3,3,3,3,3};

This is used to display the voltage just above the current (just with small numbers):
if (line > voltageline && line < (voltageline +9)) {
temp = line - (voltageline+1);
_delay_loop_1(33);
buffer[0]=voltager[0]<<3;
buffer[1]=voltager[1]<<3;
buffer[2]=voltager[2]<<3;

// Updates SPDR (SPI buffer)
SPDR = numbers[(buffer[0])+(temp)];

// Adds delay before the SPI buffer can be updated again.
delay12

SPDR = numbers[(buffer[1])+(temp)];
delay12

SPDR = numbers[8+(temp)];
delay13

SPDR = numbers[(buffer[2])+(temp)];
delay13

}

The analog reading have just been made within the code for current-sensor. Please change the MUX-setting to match the input-pin used.
if (loopcount == 0) {
// Setup ADC to be used with current sensor (ADC4), and set the reference voltage.
ADMUX = (0<<MUX3) | (1<<MUX2) | (0<<MUX1) | (0<<MUX0) |
(1<<REFS0) |(0<<REFS1);

// Start the conversion (ADC)
ADCSRA|=(1<<ADSC);
}

// In next frame - the analog
// reading should have been ready for quite some time
if (loopcount == 2) {

// The ADC is 10 bit, so we have to read from 2 registers.
ADCtemp=ADCL;
ADCtemp2=ADCH;

// Adding the high and low register;
ADCreal=ADCtemp+(ADCtemp2<<8);

// Prepare voltage reading for battery-voltage
// Setup ADC to be used with voltage reading on ADC7, and set the reference voltage.
ADMUX = (0<<MUX3) | (1<<MUX2) | (1<<MUX1) | (1<<MUX0) |
(1<<REFS0) |(0<<REFS1);

// Start the conversion (ADC)
ADCSRA|=(1<<ADSC);

}

// Divides with 1.82 - calibration. This matches my current sensor.
// Please note - if the current shown on the display is correct, the mAh should be calculated correctly.
if (loopcount==3) {
ADCreal2=ADCreal/1.82;

// Updates currentr which will be displayed directly on the OSD;
currentr[0]= (ADCreal2 / 100)+3;
currentr[1]= ((ADCreal2 % 100) / 10)+3;
currentr[2]= 1; // Writes the dot. Should only be done once.
currentr[3]= ((ADCreal2 % 100) % 10)+3;

// Updates the total mah consumed.
mah = mah+ADCreal2;

// For testing timing.. Almost at the end of line..
//SPDR=0b11111100;
}

if (loopcount == 4) {
// 10.000 mAh is 10 amps in 1 hour. With 10 hz update rate and
// this will show as 1800000. Divide be 18
// will give 100000. The last number will be used as decimal.
// microcontrollers don't really like decimal-numbers, so we will
// avoid this

mahtemp = mah/18;

// Prette close at line-end already...
//SPDR=0b11111100;

// The ADC is 10 bit, so we have to read from 2 registers. (This is used for battery-voltage)
ADCtemp=ADCL;
ADCtemp2=ADCH;

// Adding the high and low register;
ADCreal=ADCtemp+(ADCtemp2<<8);
}

if (loopcount == 5) {
// Updates the 2 first mah numbers;

mahr[0]=( mahtemp / 10000)+3;

// For testing timing.. Almost at the end of line..
//SPDR=0b11111100;

// Divides with 1.82 - calibration. This matches my voltage-divider (2 resistors).
ADCreal2=ADCreal/1.82;

}

if (loopcount == 6) {
// Updates the 3 last numbers of mAh consumed.
mahr[1]=( (mahtemp % 10000) / 1000)+3;
//SPDR=0b11111100;

// Updates the battery-voltage that will be shown.
voltager[0]= (ADCreal2 / 100)+3;
voltager[1]= ((ADCreal2 % 100) / 10)+3;
voltager[2]= ((ADCreal2 % 100) % 10)+3;

}

Edit: It seems like more or less all of the SRAM is used. Some cleaning in the number/length of variables etc. might be necessary.
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Sep 01, 2011 at 05:03 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:55 PM
Joined Jun 2010
146 Posts
GPS running good

Quote:
Arduino 2009 uses Atmega168 - right?
If you look a few posts back Jancis wrote that Atmega 168 only works with code version 1.
Anyway - if there is enough memory it should work on Atmega 168 as well.

And your question...
1) Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to use the Arduino serial monitor. You can send GPS strings from your pc and check if it returns the same strings.

2) When debugging you should get a continuous flow of GPS-strings. Everytime it have received a complete string it will return it (if I remember correctly, the code is on another computer and I can't remember what the debugging function actually does)

3) To be honest, I simply can't remember..
Probably an ugly fix - will have to check tomorrow.
Thanks Dennis for the anwers, I discovered my trouble about no communication between GPS and Arduino 2009 (AtMega328).
The problem was comm conflict cause the RX of Arduino board (pin 0 where connected GPS of course) is connected to RX of AtMega but also connected to TX of USB converter, and TX of Arduino pin 1) is connected to TX of ATMega also conn to RX of USB converter.
So.... The result is that the TX of GPS will be conn to RX of Atmega and to TX of USB and similarly the RX of GPS.
Now I removed this and now GPS data are received fine on the gogles.

Ciao
Old Sep 01, 2011, 07:10 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
okay, time for a little update.

Main changes:
  • Support for SimpleOSD 16 mhz
  • Voltage and current input can be choosen in beginning
  • Battery voltage added
  • A few danish comments translated/removed
  • Few minor changes/cleaning in code
Old Sep 02, 2011, 01:28 AM
Joined Aug 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
So.... The result is that the TX of GPS will be conn to RX of Atmega and to TX of USB and similarly the RX of GPS.
Now I removed this and now GPS data are received fine on the gogles.
I also tried to connect GPS to Arduno 2009 lookalike (with atmega 326) but didn't succeed. I have 3 wires on GPS (Supplied with G-OSD) - apparently +5, GND and GPS-TX. When I connect GPS-TX to Ardino-RX, in few seconds OSD goes crazy and overlay starts showing weird chars and then disappears completely. I have to reset / reprogramm uC.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 01:56 AM
Joined Jun 2010
146 Posts
Quote:
I also tried to connect GPS to Arduno 2009 lookalike (with atmega 326) but didn't succeed. I have 3 wires on GPS (Supplied with G-OSD) - apparently +5, GND and GPS-TX. When I connect GPS-TX to Ardino-RX, in few seconds OSD goes crazy and overlay starts showing weird chars and then disappears completely. I have to reset / reprogramm uC.
Exactly what appened to me, may be no matter about RX, but for sure the TX-GPS is in conflict with TX of the on board USB-adapter.
I removed the resistor in series with RX-atmega and TX-USB chip and connected a jumper intead in order to short the line for reprogramming the atmega, open it for use with GPS.
Ciao
Old Sep 02, 2011, 03:20 AM
Joined Aug 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
I removed the resistor in series with RX-atmega and TX-USB chip and connected a jumper intead in order to short the line for reprogramming the atmega, open it for use with GPS.
Can You please make a picture? Would help me a lot and is great matherial for others. Upload it for example to imageshack.us
Old Sep 02, 2011, 03:27 AM
Electronics slayer
Reading, UK
Joined Jul 2008
494 Posts
I've reworked the DIY OSD circuit to make it clearer.

Source: http://xkcd.com/730/
SouthPawPaul is offline Find More Posts by SouthPawPaul
Old Sep 02, 2011, 03:38 AM
Hamburger
Joined Jan 2010
818 Posts
Feature request: serial terminal mode

Hi,
as I would be using the OSD together with a MultiWii flightcontroller I would love to see the possibility to
- not attach any sensors to the OSD (sensors go the flightcontroller already)
- use it as a serial terminal to output and transfer/display data from the flightcontroller.

For that it would need to be able to
- receive the data over serial connection (115200 baud preferred for compatibility reasons)
- receive coordinates for displaying a compass/return to home arrow
- receive 2 lines, 16 chars each of text that got mapped to top and bottom of display.

This would combine my fpv efforts (just begun) and supersede the current telemetry I hacked together via 2 bluetooth modules and a simple 2x16 LCD text display.

What do you think? Hamburger
hamburger is offline Find More Posts by hamburger
Old Sep 02, 2011, 05:18 AM
Joined Jun 2010
146 Posts
Quote:
Can You please make a picture? Would help me a lot and is great matherial for others. Upload it for example to imageshack.us
I will try this evening, I never uploaded a pic
Ciao
Old Sep 02, 2011, 06:20 AM
Lithuania
Joined Jan 2007
179 Posts
Hi, here is Eagle files for my OSD design:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evvaldis View Post
New design
Messy but it works There could be some inaccuracy in component values.
P.S. For me with 100K R3 digits are more stable(less noisy).
evvaldis is offline Find More Posts by evvaldis
Old Sep 02, 2011, 06:51 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Hi, here is Eagle files for my OSD design:

Messy but it works There could be some inaccuracy in component values.
P.S. For me with 100K R3 digits are more stable(less noisy).
I might be wrong, but in your schematic compared to the one posted in post #1 it seems like the name R3 and R2 have been changed. The resistor values you have used looks like the same as first schematic.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 07:12 AM
Lithuania
Joined Jan 2007
179 Posts
I used first OSD circuit from post #111. Yes, sorry, resistor names could be different from your schematic. But I checked all values, looks like all correct.
evvaldis is offline Find More Posts by evvaldis
Old Sep 02, 2011, 07:23 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
I used first OSD circuit from post #111. Yes, sorry, resistor names could be different from your schematic. But I checked all values, looks like all correct.
No need to apologize at all, I just wondered about your R3 value

All developing is more than welcome.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 08:13 AM
Joined Jun 2010
146 Posts
Original Arduino2009 mod for GPS testing

Here annexed my Arduino mod for testing with GPS serial comm, the pictures are related to original Arduino 2009.

These 2 jumpers will be hot-glued near/at side to USB connector (my solution).

Bye all
Old Sep 02, 2011, 09:15 AM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,506 Posts
Quote:
I went thru the same problem and it turned out it was the baud rate that was wrong. i used :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=265

Cleared up my problem anyway.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 08:01 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,506 Posts
Quote:
okay, time for a little update.

Main changes:
  • Support for SimpleOSD 16 mhz
  • Voltage and current input can be choosen in beginning
  • Battery voltage added
  • A few danish comments translated/removed
  • Few minor changes/cleaning in code
Newbie at this so be gentle LOL

Is this line missing on ver5?? Serial.begin(38400); or in your case (9600) Or is it farther down the code somewhere?? I did load the new code after pasteing that line in. It seems to run fine.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 05:07 AM
Joined Jun 2010
146 Posts
Dennis Please,
I try to change the letters "BAT" to "MAH", but the "H" is not printable, why?
I noted that I can print MA"T"...to MA"I" but from MA"H" to MA"A" the last letter is a blank

Thanks a lot, Carlo
Old Sep 03, 2011, 09:28 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Newbie at this so be gentle LOL

Is this line missing on ver5?? Serial.begin(38400); or in your case (9600) Or is it farther down the code somewhere?? I did load the new code after pasteing that line in. It seems to run fine.
I removed it as serial communication is initialized by writing directly to the registers. But as quite a few people will have to change the baud-rate i will consider to use Serial.begin instead - and make it possible to set baud-rate in the "setup" section (now done).
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Sep 03, 2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 09:44 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Dennis Please,
I try to change the letters "BAT" to "MAH", but the "H" is not printable, why?
I noted that I can print MA"T"...to MA"I" but from MA"H" to MA"A" the last letter is a blank

Thanks a lot, Carlo
It's due to timing. Normally everything is loaded into a buffer first - but not here.

Around line 1900 (I have added a few lines since, but it seems like you already know where to look), just replace the code with this;

if (temp > 7) {
SPDR = letters[(13<<3)+(temp-8)];
delay15

SPDR = letters[(1<<3)+(temp-8)];
delay15

SPDR = letters[(8<<3)+(temp-8)];
delay11
}
else {
_delay_loop_1(19);
delay1
}

That will give you MAH instead og BAT
In next version BAT will be replaced with MAH
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Sep 03, 2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 10:05 AM
Joined Jun 2010
146 Posts
Thanks Dennis, now MAH text it's runnig good, the timing is very hard to understand, how can you calculate it? Or simply you try the best value with your experience with this OSD ?

One more detail, I think we do not need no more this code line in setup as you had modified the sketch for Arduino/Simple-OSD, I am right?
ADMUX = (0<<MUX3) | (1<<MUX2) | (1<<MUX1) | (1<<MUX0)
(1<<REFS0) |(0<<REFS1);

Grazie a lot, Carlo
Old Sep 03, 2011, 10:16 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Dennis, now MAH text it's runnig good, the timing is very hard to understand, how can you calculate it? Or simply you try the best value with your experience with this OSD ?

One more detail, I think we do not need no more this code line in setup as you had modified the sketch for Arduino/Simple-OSD, I am right?
ADMUX = (0<<MUX3) | (1<<MUX2) | (1<<MUX1) | (1<<MUX0)
(1<<REFS0) |(0<<REFS1);

Grazie a lot, Carlo
Year, the timing is annoying - but when all data is loaded into a buffer it's the same delay every time
I guess you can calculate it if you know exactly how many clock-cycles a line takes, but you quickly learn to deal with it.
I would definitely have preferred a for-loop or something like that, but it takes time.

Year, the code could use some more "cleaning". The line you commented is removed - thanks.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:10 AM
Joined Jun 2010
146 Posts
Osd layout - my proposal

Hi Dennis and all guys,
I designed this layout as I think IMHO that in FPV is important have:

BIG NUMBERS:
Speed, Los, Alt, Battery voltage, Flight time start from sat fix in minutes.

Little numbers:
Latitude, Longitude, N. of sats, Mah, Amp (Current).

In my opinion the batt voltage is the true charge indicator, if we use a new battery the capacity is real, but with an old one the capacity is less.
More, is important have an idea of the flight time related to batt capacity.

Wath do you think about it ? It's is possible this layout ?

Bye, Carlo.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:15 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
New update....

- Flight summary added. Should work for everyone even though GPS code haven't been updated.
Flight summary will show:
  • Max altitude
  • Max Speed
  • Max LOS
  • Total distance traveled.
  • Flight time

Flight summary will show when you are going under 5 km/h and are within 100 meters of LOS. When home-position is set, all values will be cleared.
Any better ideas of when to show flight summary is welcome. (when using the OSD on a quadrocopter - just check if the current-draw is less than x A)
  • Wrong baud-rate settings will no longer crash the controller
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:25 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Hi Dennis and all guys,

BIG NUMBERS:

Little numbers:

In my opinion the batt voltage is the true charge indicator, if we use a new battery the capacity is real, but with an old one the capacity is less.

Bye, Carlo.
Sure, it's just to re-arrange the text a bit.
Flight-timer from sat-fix is added on latest version - but atm only shows on flight-summary. But you can just replace "the time" with the flight-timer.

Showing bat-voltage with large numbers might be a good idea, but I prefer to show the current and mah with big numbers as well. I can remove the small line in the buttom for a cleaner look, move the arrow pointing home and replace it with bat voltage. The line in the buttom is not really necessary, mainly used for testing.
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Sep 04, 2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:26 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,408 Posts
What about moving some numbers to the left and right side middle area (one number on each side)...
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:30 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
What about moving some numbers to the left and right side middle area (one number on each side)...
I think it's more comfortable to have the numbers in the top and buttom, but I gotta admit, I haven't tried to put any text in the middle (except flight summary).
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Sep 04, 2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:36 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Hi Dennis and all guys,

BIG NUMBERS:

Little numbers:

Bye, Carlo.
Okay, here is a quick test...
(Sorry about the picture quality - my grabber is not exactly the best one on the market)

I don't really need "the time" and number of satellites - but the line can just be turned on if anyone want's it.

And the flight summary for now
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:49 AM
Joined Jun 2010
146 Posts
Quote:
Okay, here is a quick test...
(Sorry about the picture quality - my grabber is not exactly the best one on the market)
I don't really need "the time" and number of satellites - but the line can just be turned on if anyone want's it.
Thanks for the quick answer and test, Now seems very clean , about sat numbers I think they can stay on display as gives an idea about GPS reception.
Wath do you think about Lat and Long display usefull when we record a flight and unfortunately we lost the plane ?

About altitude, at my home area I am at about 160mt over sea level, it is possible after the GPS fix assume altitude=0 mt ? This give an easy evaluation of height of the plane referred take off point.

Thanks again for this great job, are you on the keyboard of the PC today? I am too, today it's raining...
Ciao, Carlo
Last edited by carlonb; Sep 04, 2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 11:35 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the quick answer and test, Now seems very clean , about sat numbers I think they can stay on display as gives an idea about GPS reception.
Wath do you think about Lat and Long display usefull when we record a flight and unfortunately we lost the plane ?

About altitude, at my home area I am at about 160mt over sea level, it is possible after the GPS fix assume altitude=0 mt ? This give an easy evaluation of height of the plane referred take off point.

Thanks again for this great job, are you on the keyboard of the PC today? I am too, today it's raining...
Ciao, Carlo
Latitude and longitude could be usefull - but only in case of a crash. So I would prefer to hide them in a corner or something like that.

Regarding the altitude - you can make an auto-offset when setting home-position, but you will need to convert from string to int. It's already done in the "flight summary" section. It should be a quick fix - but I prefer to see the above sea-level height.

It's raining here in DK as well
Old Sep 04, 2011, 12:10 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,408 Posts
Isn't altitude above ground more relevant? Because then one has to all the time calculate in his head how high one is flying hehe
Old Sep 04, 2011, 12:29 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
GPS coordinates added. Line can just be moved to fit where ever you like

Quote:
Isn't altitude above ground more relevant? Because then one has to all the time calculate in his head how high one is flying hehe
Well maybe, Denmark is so flat it wan't make any difference
Old Sep 04, 2011, 12:40 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,408 Posts
Hehehe good point ...Have to come once to your nice country, and you are welcome to come to Slovenia if you haven't been already ...a little bit off topic hehe.. I'll remind you about something (north, south, southeast,... ).
Old Sep 04, 2011, 01:40 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Updated look ATM...

Text is sharp on screen - but again the grabber sucks

The flight timer is added above Current.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 01:41 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Hehehe good point ...Have to come once to your nice country, and you are welcome to come to Slovenia if you haven't been already ...a little bit off topic hehe.. I'll remind you about something (north, south, southeast,... ).
I'll remind you as well, it's all open source
Old Sep 04, 2011, 01:48 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
- and the updated code.

More or less only the look has changed...
If you want to remove a line, you can just change the line number to 500 or something like that.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 01:50 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,408 Posts
I didn't have nothing to write so i wrote that hope you don't mind...
Old Sep 04, 2011, 01:52 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
I didn't have nothing to write so i wrote that hope you don't mind...
Not at all, I know must of you guys live far away from Denmark
I'm just lazy - and it was more fun to code other stuff
Old Sep 04, 2011, 02:00 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,408 Posts
You're not lazy,..you are doing very good work and at a very fast update rate.. In the time you can make an update i can't even think of a feature that would be worth adding. Nice work, truly..i'm liking the last screen look
Old Sep 04, 2011, 03:05 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,506 Posts
Quote:
Updated look ATM...

Text is sharp on screen - but again the grabber sucks

The flight timer is added above Current.
Fabulous look!!!
Old Sep 04, 2011, 03:07 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
You're not lazy,..you are doing very good work and at a very fast update rate.. In the time you can make an update i can't even think of a feature that would be worth adding. Nice work, truly..i'm liking the last screen look
Thanks

It starts to look like something useful - except for the GPS code that needs a little update.
At the moment it's running a little simulation-test with 750 km/h to be sure overflow doesn't give trouble.

Total distance should probably support more than 10 km
Old Sep 04, 2011, 03:10 PM
Joined Jun 2010
146 Posts
I downloaded the release 7 and look very clean, very fast and good job Dennis
I see a strange black line after flight-time (big nimbers), and a strange max speed data corruption at start-up, for me is not easy the debugging...I am waiting for you.

Great Dennis, now we are almost ready to do some flight tests.
Thanks, Carlo
Old Sep 04, 2011, 03:22 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Fabulous look!!!
Thanks, nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks it starts to look like something
Old Sep 04, 2011, 03:26 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
I see a strange black line after flight-time (big nimbers), and a strange max speed data corruption at start-up, for me is not easy the debugging...I am waiting for you.

Thanks, Carlo
Very nice with some fast response

The speed-data corruption is most likely caused by a "corrupted" string at start-up. All the "max data" will be cleared when home position is set, so it shouldn't have any influence on the flight-data. If you have the same problem after home-position is set, please let me know.

I can't see the black-line after flight-timer, I will test on Arduino in 5 minutes. Just need to finish the overflow-test.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 03:37 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:

Thanks, Carlo
Black-line problem fixed

EDIT: Wups, in the version7 black line fix - please remove this from line 2913
landed=1;

Otherwise the flight summary will stay on.
It was only meant for testing
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Sep 04, 2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 03:38 PM
Joined Jun 2010
146 Posts
Quote:
Very nice with some fast response

The speed-data corruption is most likely caused by a "corrupted" string at start-up. All the "max data" will be cleared when home position is set, so it shouldn't have any influence on the flight-data. If you have the same problem after home-position is set, please let me know.

I can't see the black-line after flight-timer, I will test on Arduino in 5 minutes. Just need to finish the overflow-test.
Helping you is a pleasure,
I agree about data corruption, I think the same.
I tryed to move up few lines the flight timer, but still se a black line starting from last digit (Seconds).....a moment.... seems the top black line of number matrix...?

Take a look, ciao

Edit:
Wow...you are a quick as a flash
Tested last mod, black line disappeared.
Bye and good night, tomorrow I must go in office for my job, I'll continue tomorrow evening.
Last edited by carlonb; Sep 04, 2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Message too late !
Old Sep 04, 2011, 03:42 PM
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
Does this osd work with NTSC yet?
Can I use it on the east coast of the USA?
will the osd work without a gps antenna or current sensor?
(don't have them yet, coming soon)
im a noob with osds, especially diy osds...
FPVdude is offline Find More Posts by FPVdude
Old Sep 04, 2011, 03:46 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Helping you is a pleasure,
I agree about data corruption, I think the same.
I tryed to move up few lines the flight timer, but still se a black line starting from last digit (Seconds).....a moment.... seems the top black line of number matrix...?

Take a look, ciao

Wow...you are a quick as a flash
It was a quick fix - I just didn't noticed the problem as I tested on simpleOSD where I haven't found the pin for dimming yet (that's the only thing missing).
Old Sep 04, 2011, 03:50 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVdude View Post
Does this osd work with NTSC yet?
Can I use it on the east coast of the USA?
will the osd work without a gps antenna or current sensor?
(don't have them yet, coming soon)
im a noob with osds, especially diy osds...
It's made for PAL, but somebody tested on NTSC without any problems (just change the line-numbers where text/numbers is displayed).

Please note that the mah-calculation is based on 50 fps pal signal (actually 25, but it will be seen as 50 fps - but you can just change the division factor to get the calculation right for NTSC)

Yes, you can use it without GPS and current-sensor for testing - but for actually flight it will not be able to give you any useful information without current sensor and/or GPS
Updated GPS-code is more or less the last thing missing.
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Sep 04, 2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:01 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Wups, in the version7 black line fix - please remove this from line 2913
landed=1;

It was only meant for testing.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:06 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,506 Posts
Heres a NTSC setup using a Aiptek 720PHD camera with a 1k 15turn pot.

My lettering and all is perfect, my problem lies in the voltage/current numbers. The only way I can get volt reading is to disconect and reconnect Pin6 after bootup. These pics have no GPS but it works, except for the Denmark, I'm US.

The line changes for NTSC were found back aways abit by Andreas77, even than I had to fiddle abit to get it in the black bars.
Last edited by mrfliboy; Sep 04, 2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:07 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,506 Posts
Quote:
Wups, in the version7 black line fix - please remove this from line 2913
landed=1;

It was only meant for testing.
LOL Pics above of stay on flight sumnmary
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:12 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Heres a NTSC setup using a Aiptek 720PHD camera with a 1k 15turn pot.

My lettering and all is perfect, my problem lies in the voltage/current numbers. The only way I can get voing is to disconect and reconnect Pin6 after bootup. These pics have no GPS but it works, except for the Denmark, I'm US.

The line changes for NTSC were found back aways abit by Andreas77, even than I had to fiddle abit to get it in the black bars.
You will need to change the scaling used to make it take accurate readings (I have used a higher voltage-divider).

But I can't explain why you have to remove pin6 - it seems pretty strange.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:13 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
LOL Pics above of stay on flight sumnmary
Haha, year you got me
But it will not turn off before it's airborne (> 5 km/h) anyway
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:16 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
It's a shot in the dark, but you can try to change this line:
// Analog read enable and set prescale. You can change prescale if you like.
ADCSRA = (1<<ADEN) | (1<<ADPS2) | (0<<ADPS1) | (1<<ADPS0);

You can give it a shot with a faster/slower prescale. But as it works when you connect and disconnect pin6 I don't think that's your problem..

Anyways, it's the only idea I have atm.

Value of ADPS2 -> ADPS 0 and division factor:
000 = 2
001 = 2
010 = 4
011 = 8
100 = 16
101 = 32
110 = 64
111 = 128

Try for example 16:
ADCSRA = (1<<ADEN) | (1<<ADPS2) | (0<<ADPS1) | (0<<ADPS0);
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:17 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,506 Posts
Quote:
You will need to change the scaling used to make it take accurate readings (I have used a higher voltage-divider).

But I can't explain why you have to remove pin6 - it seems pretty strange.
Yes the Pin6 is starnge 2 boards same problem. Also if I adjust the 1k pot the bottom line goes out and than numbers appear as I readjust. It might have something to do with NTSC or the bottom line text. Definitely confused.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:32 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,506 Posts
Quote:
It's a shot in the dark, but you can try to change this line:
ADCSRA = (1<<ADEN) | (1<<ADPS2) | (0<<ADPS1) | (1<<ADPS0);

You can give it a shot with a faster/slower prescale. But as it works when you connect and disconnect pin6 I don't think that's your problem..

Anyways, it's the only idea I have atm.

Value of ADPS2 -> ADPS 0 and division factor:
000 = 2
001 = 2
010 = 4
011 = 8
100 = 16
101 = 32
110 = 64
111 = 128

Try for example 16:
ADCSRA = (1<<ADEN) | (1<<ADPS2) | (0<<ADPS1) | (0<<ADPS0);
Thanks tried that and its the same. I'm thinking somewhere along the NTSC butline change is where the problem is. When I first starting adjusting the Pot, the upper numbers came in and more turns later the bottom numbers appear, shaky and all until I tweak the pot. Same token on the voltage reading, as soon as I tweak the Pot the numbers go shaky and volt readings appear, albeit a little different as I tweak. LOL I'm really having too much fun, especially when the wife thinks I'm nuts.

Thanks for all the help, its a really cool project. My goal here is for my Quad, only looking for Alt, LOS, Speed,volts, sats,timer and home arrow.

Quad is in my Blog and was featuerd in FlyRC from when I attended EFest.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:41 PM
UK
Joined Nov 2010
80 Posts
hi, any idea if this gps module would work?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Build-in-A...item2a10d801e0

its the cheapest I can find or i will go with the one from DX
Stu2 is offline Find More Posts by Stu2
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:44 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu2 View Post

No expert here byfar, I have been trying a SIRF chipset GPS for awhile now with no success. I happened to have a gps from CEOSD that worked after changing baud rate and such
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:46 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu2 View Post

Year that should work. But the sensitivity, refresh rate and weight is nothing to brag about

But it's cheap.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:52 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
  • Black line removed
  • total distance up to 99 km supported
  • Error in total distance calculation corrected
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:56 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Thanks tried that and its the same. I'm thinking somewhere along the NTSC butline change is where the problem is. When I first starting adjusting the Pot, the upper numbers came in and more turns later the bottom numbers appear, shaky and all until I tweak the pot. Same token on the voltage reading, as soon as I tweak the Pot the numbers go shaky and volt readings appear, albeit a little different as I tweak. LOL I'm really having too much fun, especially when the wife thinks I'm nuts.

Thanks for all the help, its a really cool project. My goal here is for my Quad, only looking for Alt, LOS, Speed,volts, sats,timer and home arrow.

Quad is in my Blog and was featuerd in FlyRC from when I attended EFest.
Have you by any chance moved any text-lines to overlap line 290? That could explain the problem. Line 290 is used to read the voltage and current.
It seems like you have moved the timer pretty far down.

You can try to change line 2025
if (line == 290) {

to something like (or another line where you are sure nothing else is displayed)
if (line == 200) {

That will give you some jumping text in the buttom, but as a quick test to see if it makes any difference.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 05:58 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,506 Posts
Quote:
Have you by any chance moved any text-lines to overlap line 290? That could explain the problem. Line 290 is used to read the voltage and current.
It seems like you have moved the timer pretty far down.

You can try to change line 2025
if (line == 290) {

to something like (or another line where you are sure nothing else is displayed)
if (line == 200) {

That will give you some jumping text in the buttom, but as a quick test to see if it makes any difference.
Seems we (you) may be on to something Here's a vid

MOV00487.MPG (1 min 47 sec)

My current numbers butine text are 222 and 240, that is where its at in this vid. no 290 I guess But that sems to be where the conflict is.

Heres my code
Last edited by mrfliboy; Sep 04, 2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 06:05 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Seems we (you) may be on to something Here's a vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttggipbZyhY

My current numbers butine text are 222 and 240
Well, that's your problem
NTSC only have 525 lines. The OSD will detect 525/2 = around 260 lines. So in short, it will never reach line 290.

Try to change the line-number I showed in last post and I bet you will get better results. The reason why it shows when you disconnect etc. is caused by the fact that it will miss a "new frame" and just continue to count lines. Then it will reach 290.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 06:14 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,506 Posts
WooHoo Excellento, bottom lines a tad jumpy but we have readings, atad off but getting there. Thanks so much. Dinner time here with guests afterwards. Appreciate the help and more to follow.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 07:05 PM
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
mrfliboy,
what did you do with the serial begin line?
On which line?
thanks
Old Sep 04, 2011, 07:26 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,506 Posts
Quote:
mrfliboy,
what did you do with the serial begin line?
On which line?
thanks
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=265
Old Sep 04, 2011, 07:31 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
If I get the time I will update it tomorrow, so baudrate can be changed in the beginning, by just writing the desired baud-rate like 9600 etc.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 07:36 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
WooHoo Excellento, bottom lines a tad jumpy but we have readings, atad off but getting there. Thanks so much. Dinner time here with guests afterwards. Appreciate the help and more to follow.
Perfect. Just set the line number to make sure it will run right after the last text/number line. I can update the code tomorrow to do this automatically.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 07:45 PM
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
Noob question alert!!!!!!!!

this is really dumb, but....
where is the connection between the osd and the camera/vtx signal line?
does it go on the board somewhere or on an arduino pin?
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:07 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,506 Posts
Quote:
this is really dumb, but....
where is the connection between the osd and the camera/vtx signal line?
does it go on the board somewhere or on an arduino pin?
There are 2 parts to this OSD. Arduino board and our component board. Arduino and component board connect up. The video (osd) from the component board is tied in along the video line, like a "T" in the line, if the osd does not work the video stream still works. Hope this helps
Old Sep 05, 2011, 07:01 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Just started to code a new GPS implementation and it seems to work very well. LOS should now be calculated correct no matter location.

Just need to fix the direction to work globally as well
Old Sep 05, 2011, 07:21 AM
Joined Jun 2010
146 Posts
Quote:
Just started to code a new GPS implementation and it seems to work very well. LOS should now be calculated correct no matter location.

Just need to fix the direction to work globally as well
Well done! I hope I can test this evening

Ciao
Old Sep 05, 2011, 08:09 AM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,506 Posts
Quote:
  • Black line removed
  • total distance up to 99 km supported
  • Error in total distance calculation corrected
New day and something new to tinker with. Bottom lines, current volts are working great. GPS timer starts up even. Thank you!!!!

Upper lines not so. Small letters are fine (los,alt,speed) Big numbers are half gone wacky, just the uper part of them LOL

I'm running code 8 with the past changes we've made. Just tested back to code4 with line change from 290 to 200 and lettering is fine, even though volt is a tad off.Looking forward to the gps implementation. Great Job

Latest seems its all in where my text is located, I changed the topline #'s a bit and all looks good. Thanks
Last edited by mrfliboy; Sep 05, 2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 11:09 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Time to release the updated GPS version

I have done quite a few simulations with GPS coordinates around the world, and as far as I can tell, it seems to work very well (as long as you don't plan to fly a few kilometers away from the north or south pole ).

Main updates in this version:
  • GPS code updated
  • LOS and heading should work for everyone (no matter location)
  • Alarm function added on LOS, altitude, battery-voltage and mah used
  • Avg speed added to flight summary
  • Baud rate can be set in the setup-section (by just writing 9600 etc)
  • The line where analog-readings and current calculation is done have been added to #define line section
  • corrupt serial data will no more "fill the buffer" and block valid data
  • Topline moved a bit, might help NTSC users.

Feedback, especially on the GPS part, would be great

For the first time I actually can't think of anything really missing?

Enjoy!
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Sep 06, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 11:25 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
New day and something new to tinker with. Bottom lines, current volts are working great. GPS timer starts up even. Thank you!!!!

Upper lines not so. Small letters are fine (los,alt,speed) Big numbers are half gone wacky, just the uper part of them LOL

I'm running code 8 with the past changes we've made. Just tested back to code4 with line change from 290 to 200 and lettering is fine, even though volt is a tad off.Looking forward to the gps implementation. Great Job

Latest seems its all in where my text is located, I changed the topline #'s a bit and all looks good. Thanks
I can see you have the same problem with the first speed-reading. It's removed when home-position is set, but a bit annoying.

Your voltage-reading just needs to be "calibrated" to match your voltage-divider. I'm getting the exact voltage-value.
Please see line 2192:
// Divides with 1.82 - calibration. This matches my voltage-divider (2 resistors).
ADCreal2=ADCreal/1.82;
Old Sep 06, 2011, 11:55 AM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,506 Posts
Uploaded code 9

My changes
#define toplinetext 49
#define toplinenumbers 19
#define butlinenumbers 230
#define timer_line 212
#define gps_nmea_line 130 (wanting to see gps coordinates for testing)
#define summaryline 600 (not needed right now)
#define current_calc_line 200 (a little jumpy text below but quite useable)

#define baud 38400

I'm just testing GPS coordinates

you show 4221.3020N 8805.2645W

According to my address is 42.354957 -88.087692 very close

Now this is from my hobbyroom in my basement, yupper I'm getting gps inside.

Also alt is at 249.4 which is pretty close to where I'm at above sea level, anyway to set it at 0??

Home arrow is quirky but real tests might prove otherwise.

For voltage divider I'm using a 10k and 4.7k, still no current sensor, I'm just coming of the voltage divider to Pin A0.

Thanks
Old Sep 06, 2011, 12:10 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Uploaded code 9

My changes
#define toplinetext 49
#define toplinenumbers 19
#define butlinenumbers 230
#define timer_line 212
#define gps_nmea_line 130 (wanting to see gps coordinates for testing)
#define summaryline 600 (not needed right now)
#define current_calc_line 200 (a little jumpy text below but quite useable)

#define baud 38400

I'm just testing GPS coordinates

you show 4221.3020N 8805.2645W

According to my address is 42.354957 -88.087692 very close

Now this is from my hobbyroom in my basement, yupper I'm getting gps inside.

Also alt is at 249.4 which is pretty close to where I'm at above sea level, anyway to set it at 0??

Home arrow is quirky but real tests might prove otherwise.

For voltage divider I'm using a 10k and 4.7k, still no current sensor, I'm just coming of the voltage divider to Pin A0.

Thanks
You are mixing 2 different ways of showing GPS coordinates

Let's take the latitude (not looking at the first 2 digits)
21.3020N

21.3020/6 * 10 = 35.50

That will give you 42.3550 - now that's pretty close to your actual 42.354957

Regarding the home-arrow, the heading is obtained from the direction you move, so you will have to run or at least walk with the GPS

atm altitude offset haven't been implemented.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 12:25 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,506 Posts
Quote:
You are mixing 2 different ways of showing GPS coordinates

Let's take the latitude (not looking at the first 2 digits)
21.3020N

21.3020/6 * 10 = 35.50

That will give you 42.3550 - now that's pretty close to your actual 42.354957

Regarding the home-arrow, the heading is obtained from the direction you move, so you will have to run or at least walk with the GPS

atm altitude offset haven't been implemented.
Excellent on the GPS coordinates

I believe I'm actually ready to make a useable unit for my quad.

How are my voltage divider resistors?? Should they be changed or a different calculation??

Lastly I've been trying to remove the current and mah lettering and numbers and leave the volts and timer, my goal is to have timer and volts only on the bottom line. Is this easily doable as in some // somewhere? LOL

Thanks again
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:17 PM
SX_
.........lost..........
Zambia, Lusaka, Lusaka
Joined Jun 2005
325 Posts
Stil a great thread! Great project just great Dennis!!!!!!!!!
SX_ is offline Find More Posts by SX_
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:20 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,408 Posts
Just out of curiousity, how much code space is used already? I probably couldn't squezze multiwii also into it...I think once you answer already that I couldn't..
Old Sep 06, 2011, 04:28 PM
Joined Jun 2010
146 Posts
Quote:

How are my voltage divider resistors?? Should they be changed or a different calculation??
Thanks again
Hi flyboy,
I use the same voltage divider 10K+4.7K and you must change the line
ADCreal2=ADCreal/1.82;
to
ADCreal2=ADCreal/6.55; or 6.65 depending of comp tollerance and try.

For Dennis, In setup, I have added:
#define Voffset 8 // 0.8V Diference between Vin 12.31 for example (Arduino supply/Battery) and Measured V on voltage divider 11.5
#define Voltage_cal 6.65 // Voltage scale factor
and then in code
ADCreal2=(ADCreal/Voltage_cal)+Voffset;
It isn't a good idea?

Ciao, Carlo
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:36 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,506 Posts
Quote:
Hi flyboy,
ADCreal2=ADCreal/1.82;
to

Ciao, Carlo
Thanks for the calculations, when I load 6.55 it gives me a 3.57 or so reading LOL. I'm running a 3s lipo thru the voltage divider and than to AO pin. No current sensor yet. (Just ordered a Flytron 50a sensor) Not sure where the problem lies yet. Thanks again
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:24 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Have to get up in about 3 hours - so it's gonna be a quick answer
Just ask again, I will have better time to help out tomorrow .

Quote:

I believe I'm actually ready to make a useable unit for my quad.

Lastly I've been trying to remove the current and mah lettering and numbers and leave the volts and timer, my goal is to have timer and volts only on the bottom line. Is this easily doable as in some // somewhere? LOL

Thanks again
Your voltage-resistors (10k and 4.7k are fine), but the calculation should be changed to match your resistors/voltage divider. You can do a quick calculation and just trim it to match perfect

Removing the mah and numbers should be pretty easy, just find the "butlinenumbers" and outcomment what you don't want. You can also change the buffers to 14 (= blank) if that's easier.
If it all sounds like black magic just ask again and I will give you line-numbers etc. tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX_ View Post
Stil a great thread! Great project just great Dennis!!!!!!!!!
Thanks a lot

Quote:
Just out of curiousity, how much code space is used already? I probably couldn't squezze multiwii also into it...I think once you answer already that I couldn't..
Actually, quite a lot of memory is available - but the main problem is available processor power and SRAM. I'm not gonna tell you it can't be done - but it's gonna be a challenge :P
Using one micro controller for OSD, GPS analyzing, current-sensing, voltage-sensing etc. already takes up quite a lot of the available processor-power (and memory). You should be able to add quite a few extra sensors - but reading the RC-inputs might be a challenge without using interrupts (interrupts will "disturb" the OSD).

You can add it as an "expansion", but if you want it all to be done at one micro controller you probably have to code a bit yourself

Quote:
Hi flyboy,
ADCreal2=ADCreal/1.82;
to

For Dennis, In setup, I have added:
#define Voffset 8 // 0.8V Diference between Vin 12.31 for example (Arduino supply/Battery) and Measured V on voltage divider 11.5
#define Voltage_cal 6.65 // Voltage scale factor
and then in code
ADCreal2=(ADCreal/Voltage_cal)+Voffset;
It isn't a good idea?

Ciao, Carlo
I was thinking about adding an easier way to calibrate the voltage-reading, but I prefer to add the voltage-divider like 1/10 etc - But I got one beer too many to do that now (and I need some sleep - have to get up in 3 hours)
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Sep 06, 2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 02:18 AM
Joined Jun 2010
146 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the calculations, when I load 6.55 it gives me a 3.57 or so reading LOL. I'm running a 3s lipo thru the voltage divider and than to AO pin. No current sensor yet. (Just ordered a Flytron 50a sensor) Not sure where the problem lies yet. Thanks again
Try to measure the real voltage on 4.7K resistor, must be around 3.2V more or less, this is the voltage read by A0 pin.
The magic formula:
5V:1024=3.2V:X X=1024*3.2/5 X=6,55
Sobstitute the 3.2 with your measured voltage on A0 pin.

Note, have you set the chip to read on analog port A0 ?
This original line read A1 port:
#define mux_batVoltage ADMUX = (0<<MUX3) | (0<<MUX2) | (0<<MUX1) | (1<<MUX0) | (1<<REFS0) |(0<<REFS1);
in this:
#define mux_batVoltage ADMUX = (0<<MUX3) | (0<<MUX2) | (0<<MUX1) | (0<<MUX0) | (1<<REFS0) |(0<<REFS1);

Ciao, carlo
Old Sep 07, 2011, 02:57 AM
Istanbul/Turkey
Joined May 2008
1,364 Posts
Hi Dennis,

I just turned back from vacancy. Your project going awesome, thank you for your "SimpleOSD OPEN" support. We will add this product on our site in few days for all opensource developers. Please add a comment line into the code about "this is not standard SimpleOSD XL, it is 16Mhz Arduino bootloader version for opensource projects". We will call it as SimpeOSD OPEN.

Now i have one of these boards and loaded your latest firmware.
Letters stable on the horizontal but jumping on vertical. I'm using NTSC camera and line count less than PAL on OTSC. is it possible reason of jumping problem?

Cheers
Melih
MelihK is offline Find More Posts by MelihK
Site Sponsor
Last edited by MelihK; Sep 07, 2011 at 03:27 AM.