SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:26 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Dennis,

Based upon your experince with writing the overlay routine, do you think it is possible to modify this TV out Library to function as Overlay?

http://code.google.com/p/arduino-tvout/
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:54 AM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
Dennis,

Based upon your experince with writing the overlay routine, do you think it is possible to modify this TV out Library to function as Overlay?

http://code.google.com/p/arduino-tvout/
You probably have to take a closer look at the code, to get an idea of the changes needed. But yes, it should be possible. It looks pretty nice.

If I start to work on OpenLRS and SimpleOSD merging, I might change/update the OSD output section.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:22 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Thank you Dennis.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,419 Posts
Dennis what about that question of mine about connections?
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:46 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
I started to assemble it on the breadboard.
I need a little help, on my dealextreme arduino nano there isn't vcc written...So is the vcc pin the same as 5V pin on my nano? And is Vin the same as raw pin on pro mini?

And I also have two grounds (GND) written, one is on the side where A1-A7 are written, and the other is on the side that D2-D12 are written...So which ground is the correct one ? Please see attached pics.

Do I connect to the same ground as power and video ground also the gps module ground? Or to the different ground?
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Dennis what about that question of mine about connections?
Yes, I think Vcc = 5 volt input and Vin = Raw. But better check the datasheet or schematic to be sure.

The 2 ground are the same, it doesn't matter which pin you use. Same goes for video/GPS/camera etc - same ground.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:26 PM
FPV from Lithuania
Lithuania
Joined Mar 2007
128 Posts
New WMC copter controler have GPS possibility.
Because i have using yours OSD, i want to ask if it is possible to connect this OSD as slave to I2C and provide all info for another arduino?

By now is required seperate arduino to make Serial GPS work with WMC I2C ports. I want to make simplier and use your OSD to display info and use as RTH in WMC.

Thanks for answer.
Edit: this is seperate arduino code to get GPS to I2C.
http://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav...2C_GPS_NAV.ino
And there WMC part: http://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav...e-snipplet.txt
vipix is offline Find More Posts by vipix
Last edited by vipix; Mar 10, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:38 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipix View Post
New WMC copter controler have GPS possibility.
Because i have using yours OSD, i want to ask if it is possible to connect this OSD as slave to I2C and provide all info for another arduino?

By now is required seperate arduino to make Serial GPS work with WMC I2C ports. I want to make simplier and use your OSD to display info and use as RTH in WMC.

Thanks for answer.
Edit: this is seperate arduino code to get GPS to I2C.
http://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav...2C_GPS_NAV.ino
And there WMC part: http://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav...e-snipplet.txt
To be honest, I don't know. The timing is pretty critical and you don't have much cpu-time left. You probably have to do a test. Just be aware, that you can't use interrupts (you might be able to use interrupt if you use LM1881. Please see interrupt-priority in datasheet).

I working on a few other projects at the moment, so haven't done much with the OSD lately. I just use it :P
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Dennis, just wanted to say thank you again for your work on this fantastic OSD. I did my first ground recording (No Virtual Glasses). I now need to test for distant and check for noise. I am using one battery source and will try using a separate battery for the OSD tomorrow, hopefully that will improve picture quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ9aFY-yPHc
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:52 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Dennis, just wanted to say thank you again for your work on this fantastic OSD. I did my first ground recording (No Virtual Glasses). I now need to test for distant and check for noise. I am using one battery source and will try using a separate battery for the OSD tomorrow, hopefully that will improve picture quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ9aFY-yPHc
Great to see some video, thanks

Can I ask what you have connected as GPS? It doesn't really update, and the values seems to be off quite a bit.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Great to see some video, thanks

Can I ask what you have connected as GPS? It doesn't really update, and the values seems to be off quite a bit.
I am using some 4800 baud GPS, not sure of the brand. I remove a chunk of the code that sets the values to zero and home in order to make room for some things I want to add. The Values do update, not sure why they are not in this video.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
I have a question please, with the aircraft stationary, how much drift or variants in the altitude reading is possible? I know my GPS is cheap, but I will like to know what you are getting.

Thank you.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:15 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,853 Posts
Quote:
I have a question please, with the aircraft stationary, how much drift or variants in the altitude reading is possible? I know my GPS is cheap, but I will like to know what you are getting.

Thank you.
10 meters and more is normal. Thats why some autopilotes have a pressure sensor on board.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:24 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
The GPS altitude is not very accurate. It helps a lot to wait for extra satellites, but normally I don't really care if it shows +/- 10 meters or more. I just wanna know if I'm at ~500 meters or ~1000 meters

Just quickly had a look at my ground-recordings, this is the difference:
- 3.8 meters
- 2 meters
0 meters
-0.1 meters
- 6 meters

I have also had a couple being way off as home position was sat very quickly with few satellites.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:05 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Thank you Guys.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:06 AM
Chilled and served
Sweden
Joined Mar 2005
287 Posts
I just saw on the picture on the OSD on the first page that there was a number right above the mAh reading, what does that show?

Would the Arduino be able to keep up if the GPS update rate was set to 10Hz and maybe also increased the baudrate a little? 10Hz is most likely more then normally needed but just in case i might need it some day.

And btw would also the update rate of everything else be at this speed then or is it only the GPS part?

I have ordered a small neat PA6B GPS some week ago and hoped it would work but i think i read here sometime that the GPS programming part pretty much had been made for this? Just want this confirmed so i know that this GPS would work right away.

The resistor divider for the battery voltage, for whatever the battery you hook up so should this net be calculated so it would always put out a voltage between 0-5V no matter the battery input voltage? And i know you will have to check any regulators so they could cope with the voltage you put on them if higher then normal.
Henry. is offline Find More Posts by Henry.