HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:36 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,417 Posts
GPS-coordinates

Thanks for a great project Dennis

One quick question - how do I convert the on screen GPS-coordinates to ones that Google Earth can understand?

I may be being a bit dim but I can not show position in GE

Regards
Frank
frank48 is offline Find More Posts by frank48
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:00 AM
Joined Nov 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Not to be rude or anything, but the pin marked RSSI would be a good place to start

But you can change the pin-config if you want to use another input.
Haha Ok For my defense. I dont own a board yet. Just wanted to know if its possible to plug a Rssi to the board. Didnt find the rssi pin in the schematic.
http://www.flytron.com/pdf/SimpleOSD_OPEN.pdf

thx an be prepared for more stupid questions
Just learing arduino programming...

vscope
vscope is offline Find More Posts by vscope
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:42 AM
Silicon/poker/chocolate chips
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2008
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vscope View Post
Haha Ok For my defense. I dont own a board yet. Just wanted to know if its possible to plug a Rssi to the board. Didnt find the rssi pin in the schematic.
Look at JP1, ATmega pin 24, top right
Chip Geek is offline Find More Posts by Chip Geek
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined May 2008
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Hi Nils
I think your problem is the text allignment. For some reason, the text is moved too much to the right.
You can change it in the config/setup part.

Please try to set the align_text_ to 1

// Align text. On different screens/video signals I have seen, that the text is not alligned perfectly. Decreasing the number will move all text left, increasing the number will move it right.
// Smallest number allowed is 1
// Please be aware - no limits have been made, so you can move the entire text as much as you want. If you push the text "over the edge" (when you can't see it anymore) this will cause the text
// to interrupt with the "new line sync". You can give it a try to see what it does - but I deffinately recommend to keep the text on the screen when flying
#define align_text_ 22

Change to:
#define align_text_ 1
Hi Dennis,

thank you for your advice. I tried with the other setting, but saw no big change. Is there a way to change to small characters on all lines?
nils1982ks is offline Find More Posts by nils1982ks
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:04 PM
United States, ID, Fruitland
Joined Apr 2008
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nils1982ks View Post
Hi Dennis,

thank you for your advice. I tried with the other setting, but saw no big change. Is there a way to change to small characters on all lines?
I had the same issue as well after switching cameras. Changing the text alignment to a value of 1 helped a little bit but I had to fine tune the pots connected to pin 6 and 11. After tuning both of them, I was able to get a clean OSD on the screen.
vasago17 is offline Find More Posts by vasago17
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:26 AM
Joined May 2008
13 Posts
Hey,

that sounds great, thank you. Can you tell me the values you took in the end or in which range you tuned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasago17 View Post
I had the same issue as well after switching cameras. Changing the text alignment to a value of 1 helped a little bit but I had to fine tune the pots connected to pin 6 and 11. After tuning both of them, I was able to get a clean OSD on the screen.
nils1982ks is offline Find More Posts by nils1982ks
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:14 AM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry. View Post
By pure accident i tumbled on to this thread and have read through it some times and followed almost all the links to know whats needed so already ordered a small Aurdino mini. Thanks for putting this work out for anyone to use, its just what i have looked for!

A request though:

Could it maybe be possible to program to have an output to just go high or put out a squarewave in a selectable frequency area from say 1 Hz to a few kHz and maybe even pulse this on and off in say a selectable interval of 0 to a few Hz? Then connect the trigger for this to a selectable Max setting like the battery for example or so?

By this you could just put a buffer like a transistor on that output to drive a simple speaker or a buzzer or just drive a LED directly or just light the hole thing up with LED stripes or anything to visually and/or audible warn of some max setting or so if not using the OSD in FPV by whatever reason.

For example if i fly a quad close to me or just testing it out i normally dont use FPV/OSD but it could be good to know when the battery is starting to drain when you already have the OSD on the quad instead of buying some gadget to do it for you that as usual isnt that exact.
Sorry about the late reply.
Flashing a LED/buzzer or something like that, should be straight forward. If you use the main-loop you can just use the Arduino digitalWrite command. If you use the interrupt to flash I would recommend to access the registers directly.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:58 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vscope View Post

thx an be prepared for more stupid questions
Just learing arduino programming...

vscope
All questions are welcome - stupid or not
Just be aware that the RSSI-pin is just connected normally to an analog input. If your RSSI out is not buffered, you should consider a large resistor in series or a buffer.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:26 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,404 Posts
Is voltage range from 0,9 to 1,1V enough range for a useful rssi?
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:40 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank48 View Post
Thanks for a great project Dennis

One quick question - how do I convert the on screen GPS-coordinates to ones that Google Earth can understand?

I may be being a bit dim but I can not find position in GE

Regards
Frank

Can't find the aircraft position in google earth, how do I do it ?

Anyone like to answer my stupid question?
Old Mar 02, 2012, 06:24 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Can't find the aircraft position in google earth, how do I do it ?

Anyone like to answer my stupid question?
Sorry, I forgot your question.

Not quite sure I understand what you mean? You just wanna take the coordinates and put them into google earth yourself?

Let's take this picture as an example:

Coordinates from picture:
5601.2295 N
1229.3435 E

Unfortunately there is more than one standard when it comes to GPS-coordinates. Some of them are:
1) Degrees/minutes/seconds
2) Degree/decimal/minutes

In this case only the last coordinates differ from the way it's shown in google earth. The last 4 numbers (2295 and 3435) is decimal, where as it's minutes or seconds in google earth. That means, that you need to convert the coordinates.
2295 * (60/100) = 1377
3435 * (60/100) = 2061

Write this directly into google earth, and you will see the position of my plane in that picture.
56 01' 13.77", 12 29' 20.61"
Old Mar 02, 2012, 06:29 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Is voltage range from 0,9 to 1,1V enough range for a useful rssi?
The Atmega uses an 10 bit ADC. 10 bit = 2^10 = 1024 steps. As the reference voltage for the ADC is 5 volt (0-5 volt), it will have a resolution at 5 volt / 1024 steps = 0.0049 volt / step. 0.9 - 1.1 volt will give you 0.2 volt from min to max.

0.2 volt / (0.0049 volt/bit) ~= 40 steps. If you show RSSI as %, that will give you a resolution of (100 % / steps) = 2.5 % per step.

Enough? It depends on your need, but it should give you a descent RSSI reading.

Steps can be directly calculated as:
(1.1 volt - 0.9 volt) / (5 volt / 1024 steps)
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:34 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,417 Posts
Thanks Dennis, its all clear now

Frank
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:37 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Dennis, its all clear now

Frank
Great
Otherwise, just ask again
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:28 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,404 Posts
Well so I did my first look into the code, and it seems its easy to configure since you documented so well ..I'll just post here what I'm doing just for you to double check.
Since I'll first try my luck with the lm1881:
Code:
//Arduino = 0, SimpleOSD = 1
#define controller 1
Since I'm planning in the future to use a 50A current sensor:
Code:
// Current-sensor
#define offset 0
#define current_cal 0.49
What's the purpose of the voltage divider?

// As default configured for standard plane -> I'll use it on a plane. Do I have to put // infront of #define below // Quad/helicopter example...If I once put it on a quad how do I enable it to quad settings?

Hmmm altitude less then 999 , that means if I go above 999 it will show me summary, do you guys use higher values?

// Hide GPS-coordinates when altitude is more than x meter, can I put higher values? (not that I'm going to go that high )

Regarding the button for config, are we talking that button that's on the arduino?

That display of degrees in which one is flying, that you said is only for your country is very important for me, when I'll be flying with a narrow beam helical..can you modify it also for my country? Please PM me with additional details

For a 3S lipo 10V for voltage alarm or should I go higher/lower?

// END SETUP
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Last edited by msev; Mar 03, 2012 at 03:34 AM.