SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2011, 03:49 PM
Buenos Aires
Joined Jun 2008
39 Posts
Hello Friends

This was my first flight with this osd and everything went very well. Just note that the height was not very accurate.

ArduOSD DIY (4 min 1 sec)

Denis: As much as I tried I could not shrink the characters, be so kind to create a version with the characters more small?

Greetings and thanks for the OSD.

El Nono
El_Nono is offline Find More Posts by El_Nono
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:36 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVdude View Post
I want to make a simple rth system that is cheap. I'm not paying for one of those expensive fy21's. So, DIY to the rescue?
I have an idea about rth that would make it much simpler. But I'm not sure if it would work. could you use a simple photodiode mounted on the side of the plane (looking sideways) to stabilize the roll of the aircraft? I know it wouldn't work in clouds or at night, but really, who flies then anyways?
Roll seems to be the tricky part to stabilizing an airplane, if you can keep the plane level it seems like you could just use GPS data to set the elevator right.
Would that scenario work? it seems to me a heck of a lot simpler than using a full blown IMU, but is it too simple?
Detecting the horisont with light-sensors have been used a lot for stabilisation in older systems, and in some cheap systems. It should work pretty well under normal conditions, but I wouldn't use it myself. It have quite a few limitations, dirt on the "lens", foggy weather, flying inside a cloud etc. - I want a reliable system that works everytime and under all conditions. A full blown IMU does require a lot more work, but I believe it's a lot better.

I plan to do some tests with 3 axis accelerometer + 3 axis gyro and a PI or PID regulator to control the servos, and hopefully implemented on an OpenLRS receiver. But that's not gonna happen anyway soon, so don't hold your breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Nono View Post
Hello Friends

This was my first flight with this osd and everything went very well. Just note that the height was not very accurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozg7G...layer_embedded

Denis: As much as I tried I could not shrink the characters, be so kind to create a version with the characters more small?

Greetings and thanks for the OSD.

El Nono
Nice to see some video - thanks

The accuracy of the height is usually a lot better if you wait for better GPS-fix, but normally I don't really care if I'm at 1000 meters or 1010 meters AGL .
Nevertheless, the OSD gets the altitude directly from your GPS, so it only depends on your GPS-device.

I fly with fatshark googles myself and prefer the large font - it's just so easy to read compared to the small font.
If I rewrite the code used to output text I'll have it in mind, but don't expect anything.

I noticed your OSD missed a couple of lines (buttom-line jumping a little). You can probably turn the pot a bit to improve sync, or add a watchdog to eleminate this.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:07 AM
Joined Jun 2011
25 Posts
Hi Dennis,

i have a problem with my OSD Layout (schematic is attached).
If i change the Buttonpin in the Simpleosd Part to 10, the button is not working. If i set D10 as Input, the OSD is not working.
I have used FW 17.
What can i do to use the Button on D10?

regards, Daniel
seeers is offline Find More Posts by seeers
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:02 AM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,641 Posts
Folks,

I bought a simpleOSD (open) to start to play (and learn) with the diyOSD code, but I found this board produces swinging characters as my breadboard did without the lm1881.

Those who are using the lm1881 diyosd "version" have stable non swinging characters?

I thought the lm1881 would cure the swing
jalves is offline Find More Posts by jalves
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:44 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeers View Post
Hi Dennis,

i have a problem with my OSD Layout (schematic is attached).
If i change the Buttonpin in the Simpleosd Part to 10, the button is not working. If i set D10 as Input, the OSD is not working.
I have used FW 17.
What can i do to use the Button on D10?

regards, Daniel
I'm not quite sure, as I haven't tested that pin myself, but D10, also described as PB2(SS/OC1A/PCINT1) is used as "SS line" when using SPI. For this project, the SS pin is not used. Can you use the pin as input? I actually don't know, guess you have to test a bit and perhaps do a google search. - or just pick another pin that is not used
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:52 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalves View Post
Folks,

I bought a simpleOSD (open) to start to play (and learn) with the diyOSD code, but I found this board produces swinging characters as my breadboard did without the lm1881.

Those who are using the lm1881 diyosd "version" have stable non swinging characters?

I thought the lm1881 would cure the swing
If you have a scope available, you can check the video signal-level. It might be out of spec.

But otherwise yes, you should be able to get a very good synch with the LM1881. Just one thing I have noticed, the SimpleOSD open (LM1881) I have tested, seemed to be more sensitive to noise from motor/ESC.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:19 PM
United States, MN, Rochester
Joined Oct 2004
57 Posts
This is really an Arduino pro mini question but I have not found it answered definitively anywhere. The site http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoProMini
...states:
"Power
The board can be powered through USB via the six-pin programming header, or from a regulated 5V or 3.3V (depending on the model) supply applied to the VCC pin or an unregulated supply on the RAW pin. "

I can get my arduino board running example sketches by connecting a 2 cell lipo to the VCC pin. Looking at page 2 of this thread, it appears Dennis did the same. I could get nothing to work connecting to the RAW pin with 2 or 3 cell lipos (fully charged). Have I damaged the regulator already ?!? I am on my second arduino at this point...

What power configuration are folks flying with? It sounds like I could damage my arduino if I supply 12.6v to the ACC pin which is supposed to be getting 5v regulated!
I could get 5v from the receiver but then can I connect the camera ground to the arduino ground ? Its a 12v camera.

Sorry for the neophyte questions but... I'm a neophyte with this stuff.
Regards,
Alex
sandmaninator is offline Find More Posts by sandmaninator
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:19 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmaninator View Post
This is really an Arduino pro mini question but I have not found it answered definitively anywhere. The site http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoProMini
...states:
"Power
The board can be powered through USB via the six-pin programming header, or from a regulated 5V or 3.3V (depending on the model) supply applied to the VCC pin or an unregulated supply on the RAW pin. "

I can get my arduino board running example sketches by connecting a 2 cell lipo to the VCC pin. Looking at page 2 of this thread, it appears Dennis did the same. I could get nothing to work connecting to the RAW pin with 2 or 3 cell lipos (fully charged). Have I damaged the regulator already ?!? I am on my second arduino at this point...

What power configuration are folks flying with? It sounds like I could damage my arduino if I supply 12.6v to the ACC pin which is supposed to be getting 5v regulated!
I could get 5v from the receiver but then can I connect the camera ground to the arduino ground ? Its a 12v camera.

Regards,
Alex
You can see it here:
http://arduino.cc/it/Main/ArduinoBoardProMini

It should be able to handle 3.35/5 - 12 volt input on RAW. As the consumption is very little, you can probably push it a little (~3S lipo), but I wouldn't recommend it.

You have to be careful - VCC should NOT be above 5 volt. Otherwise you will kill the uC (I think it can handle 5.5 volt according to the datasheet, but I would use a stable 5 volt supply).

I you have connected 2-3S lipo on VCC (and not RAW), chances are your controller is dead (most likely).

I use 5 volt on my entire FPV-system and have just supplied my OSD with the filtered 5-volt. But you can just use a little linear regulator and a couple of caps. The power consumption is so little, it shouldn't matter if you are using a DC/DC converter or a linear regulator.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:17 PM
United States, FL, Plantation
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
Does this osd/firmware support stability sensors?
GregSilver is offline Find More Posts by GregSilver
Old Jan 13, 2012, 05:27 PM
United States, ID, Fruitland
Joined Apr 2008
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmaninator View Post
...states:
"Power

Regards,
Alex
I use a 3s lipo on mine, running the ~12.5v through the raw pin on the Arduino Pro Mini. I know the Arduino website says 7-12v but if you look up the datasheet for the voltage regulator, it says it can handle 15v max.

Like Dennis said, if you hooked a 3s lipo up to to VCC, you probably fried the microcontroller on the Arduino Pro Mini.

Don't worry about the neophyte questions, we were all there once or still are! The beauty of forums like these is we all learn from the vast amounts of information!

Scott
vasago17 is offline Find More Posts by vasago17
Old Jan 13, 2012, 05:36 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSilver View Post
Does this osd/firmware support stability sensors?
No, at the moment it's "just" an OSD
I was planning to do some work on the code, downlink, support for OpenLRS etc. but as I have been programming microcontrollers 8 hours a day the last couple of weeks (completly different project), I haven't done much progress with this
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:11 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,424 Posts
Today I'm gonna order the kk+ board (i'm also gonna order the adxl335) so that I will have stabilization and autolevel...hope it will work ok , then I'm a step closer to rth...
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:53 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,424 Posts
Dennis, since I didn't want to trash your thread with my noob questions I decided to put my questions in my blog: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post20419528

And I invite you and everyone who can help me with the questions there..
Thanks!
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:07 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Dennis, since I didn't want to trash your thread with my noob questions I decided to put my questions in my blog: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post20419528

And I invite you and everyone who can help me with the questions there..
Thanks!
Feel free to ask here if you want, all questions are welcome
You'll have an answer shortly
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:37 AM
Россия, Москва, город Москва
Joined Sep 2011
12 Posts
Hello
I have a problem at insertion loading v17 in Arduino nano v3. When I want to stitch, there is such message: "the ' BYTE ' keyword is no longer supported". What is such and how to rectify an error?

Below in the program there is a message: In file included from D:\Documents and Settings\admin\Рабочий стол\arduino-1.0\arduino-1.0\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:191,
from DIY_OSD_v0_17.cpp:254:
D:\Documents and Settings\admin\Рабочий стол\arduino-1.0\arduino-1.0\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/WString.h:139: error: expected ',' or '...' before numeric constant
DIY_OSD_v0_17.cpp: In function 'void setup()':
DIY_OSD_v0_17.pde:-1: error: 'BYTE' was not declared in this scope

As of Arduino 1.0, the 'BYTE' keyword is no longer supported.
Please use Serial.write() instead.
alex57russ is offline Find More Posts by alex57russ