Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:22 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Sure.

a) GPS uses nautical miles (or, the coordinat system is based on nautical miles). 1 nautical mile = 1.85 km.
Google this to get the conversion (1 nautical mile to km)

b) From radians to degrees.
360 / (2 * pi) = 57
Ahh! :-) I'm enligthened. Thank you! :-)

One more question, I don't know this ardunio stuff as so far I always made my own PCBs and designs. So, do you use the standard Atmel compiler and in particular the avr-libc library to do the math (sin, cos, etc. pp.)?

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:49 AM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Ahh! :-) I'm enligthened. Thank you! :-)

One more question, I don't know this ardunio stuff as so far I always made my own PCBs and designs. So, do you use the standard Atmel compiler and in particular the avr-libc library to do the math (sin, cos, etc. pp.)?

Markus
Arduino automatically includes the math-library if you use cos, sin etc. It does take some space and you could maybe make it faster with a simple look-up-table or something like that - but it's not really worth the trouble.
Dennis Frie is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:28 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,043 Posts
Oh, and just for info. The button needs to be pushed (pulled low) when powering on the controller in order to enter menu
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:47 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Hopefully, I can test version 15 today.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:00 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
Hopefully, I can test version 15 today.
That would be great
Please let me know if you have any trouble making it work, quite a lot of code have been added from version 14
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:39 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Sure will keep you updated.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:51 PM
Trying to learn.
Moscow, Russia
Joined Jun 2010
181 Posts
What a wonderful project!
I took arduino laying around, some old boards for analog parts and voila, i see numbers in my glasses!

Name: P1000033.jpg
Views: 99
Size: 117.3 KB
Description:

I used rather small smd parts (0603 i guess) with small "through hole" diodes (don't know what they are, but voltage drop is 0.6V), some kapton tape for protection and 0.1 mm wire. So total weight is astonishing 3 gramms with 0.48g wire (i specially cut same cable at same length)!

Name: P1000034.jpg
Views: 1961
Size: 302.3 KB
Description: Name: P1000035.jpg
Views: 1948
Size: 253.3 KB
Description:

Name: P1000036.jpg
Views: 99
Size: 226.8 KB
Description: Name: P1000037.jpg
Views: 121
Size: 244.6 KB
Description:

Name: P1000038.jpg
Views: 98
Size: 221.6 KB
Description: Name: P1000039.jpg
Views: 1896
Size: 247.2 KB
Description:

Name: P1000040.jpg
Views: 90
Size: 228.3 KB
Description:

At first there was no picture but from my video player, that disappointed me a lot, but then i realized, that variable resistor stands there not for beauty, silly me! So with some "tuning" i saw clear picture!

Many thanks to you, genius Dennis, for letting me see a little wonder!
leprud is offline Find More Posts by leprud
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:55 PM
Italia, Lombardia, Milano
Joined Jun 2010
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Oh, and just for info. The button needs to be pushed (pulled low) when powering on the controller in order to enter menu
Thanks Dennis for this awesome project, it's growing every day
Now I have a question, why do you enable the setting menu button keeping pressed at start-up?
I just tried vers 15 this evening and I saw the strange behavour, in this way I need 3 hands to start, two to insert the connectors on the battery of my system and the third to keep pressed the button

I think it's better to reverse it, but I understood that your thought is to avoid setup menu activation if not needed.

What is better to do ?

Edit: If I use a normaly closed button I solve my trouble, where some users with 3 hands may chose a normally open button.

Ciao, Carlo
carlonb is offline Find More Posts by carlonb
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:48 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,419 Posts
Since Melih opensourced he's openlrs, is also possible, I think, to use a similair diy solution like your osd, with a promini/nano and the rf chip, connect both arduino's (one more at the transmitting side, which could be interfaced for example with an nunchuck some buttons, and some pots) and we have a totally open source, cheap, diy solution for safely guideing the plane from take off to landing ...I just have to wait to get a nano from dealextreme, and with one coding friend from multiwii we'll start to test the "driving with nunchuck" part...But for now I'll be quiet since maybe my nano is lost in the post since it's taking so long for it to arrive ..

For those that don't want the trouble with making there own, they can go with Melih's nice hardware solutions for osd and lrs (Melih do I get some discount for my nice words hehe)..

Dennis awesome the addition of the menu...what about that graphics thing that you were thinking to add, is it already added I wasn't reading the thread for some time ..
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:15 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leprud View Post
What a wonderful project!
I took arduino laying around, some old boards for analog parts and voila, i see numbers in my glasses!

I used rather small smd parts (0603 i guess) with small "through hole" diodes (don't know what they are, but voltage drop is 0.6V), some kapton tape for protection and 0.1 mm wire. So total weight is astonishing 3 gramms with 0.48g wire (i specially cut same cable at same length)!

At first there was no picture but from my video player, that disappointed me a lot, but then i realized, that variable resistor stands there not for beauty, silly me! So with some "tuning" i saw clear picture!

Many thanks to you, genius Dennis, for letting me see a little wonder!
Thanks for sharing.
It looks really nice - but a bit fragile

And yes, this solution requires you to adjust the resistor, but as this should only be necessary once (maybe when changing camera) it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlonb View Post
Thanks Dennis for this awesome project, it's growing every day
Now I have a question, why do you enable the setting menu button keeping pressed at start-up?
I just tried vers 15 this evening and I saw the strange behavour, in this way I need 3 hands to start, two to insert the connectors on the battery of my system and the third to keep pressed the button

I think it's better to reverse it, but I understood that your thought is to avoid setup menu activation if not needed.

What is better to do ?

Edit: If I use a normaly closed button I solve my trouble, where some users with 3 hands may chose a normally open button.

Ciao, Carlo
I have only allowed menu-access on power-up. That will allow GPS-code etc. to run as usually. You can change it and allow menu-access all the time, but as I only rarely plan to make changes i figured this was the best solution.

The 3-finger problem... Well, you can just reverse the code to enter menu if button is not pressed. But then you always have to exit menu.
You can also add like 5 seconds delay to allow menu-access.

Except for that, have you successfully tried version 15? And been able to save settings etc.?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:22 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Since Melih opensourced he's openlrs, is also possible, I think, to use a similair diy solution like your osd, with a promini/nano and the rf chip, connect both arduino's (one more at the transmitting side, which could be interfaced for example with an nunchuck some buttons, and some pots) and we have a totally open source, cheap, diy solution for safely guideing the plane from take off to landing ...I just have to wait to get a nano from dealextreme, and with one coding friend from multiwii we'll start to test the "driving with nunchuck" part...But for now I'll be quiet since maybe my nano is lost in the post since it's taking so long for it to arrive ..

For those that don't want the trouble with making there own, they can go with Melih's nice hardware solutions for osd and lrs (Melih do I get some discount for my nice words hehe)..

Dennis awesome the addition of the menu...what about that graphics thing that you were thinking to add, is it already added I wasn't reading the thread for some time ..
I have a few ideas for OpenLRS, DIY OSD / SimpleOSD, some cheap stabilization with wii parts and uplink/downlink with OpenLRS. But as I haven't received the hardware yet it's gonna be a while before I have anything interesting to tell about that

For now, the graphic (plane-position) I mentioned is shown as numbers instead. It will give a more precise position rather than graphic - but it needs you to read to numbers
As i'm gonna use it to stay within antenna-beam I think it's nice to be able to see exact degrees, but it shouldn't take much code to change it. You can more or less just copy-paste the code from the arrow-home arrow.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:25 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Dennis, sounds to me, you have a great future ahead.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:29 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
Dennis, sounds to me, you have a great future ahead.
I guess you are talking about OpenLRS, OSD etc :P
Year, that's probably gonna require some time, but it will be fun to play with.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:34 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,419 Posts
Now that I think about it, degrees are way better ..
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:38 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Now that I think about it, degrees are way better ..
Well, it depends on what you are gonna use it for. For a quick "is my plane in front of me or on my left" a graphic illustration is a lot easier.

But if you need more specific heading (or just for testing) numbers are nice. I actually haven't tested if it works if you change N/S/W/E coordinates? Oh well, someone's probably gonna tell me if it doesn't work