to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:19 AM
United Kingdom, England, Canterbury
Joined May 2008
1,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Chances are you just ruined the rest of my spare-time
No, it would be fun, it have quite a few possibilities.

OpenLRS is a very nice initiative, and it should give a lot of opportunities. I have considered to make a cheap IMU with gyro and accelerometer from nunchok and wiimotion plus. Could make an interesting and pretty cheap receiver and autopilot based on OpenLRS.
I just tested your gps code with OpenLRS. I used your arrow variable as a rudder control and GPS emulator of Happykillmore. Results was very funny, the servo following the home direction now
I will release a new firmware with RTH(return to home) function in this week

If you dont have spare time for osd integration dont worry, i can help about that.

Thank you very much.
Melih
MelihK is offline Find More Posts by MelihK
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:48 AM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelihK View Post
I just tested your gps code with OpenLRS. I used your arrow variable as a rudder control and GPS emulator of Happykillmore. Results was very funny, the servo following the home direction now
I will release a new firmware with RTH(return to home) function in this week

If you dont have spare time for osd integration dont worry, i can help about that.

Thank you very much.
Melih
I should have plenty of spare time to play with this and make some integration

Can I ask how you have made RTH at the moment? I was thinking about 3 axis gyro + accelerometer, a descent kalman-filter and a PI or PID regulator to control the servos.
Dennis Frie is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Oct 09, 2011, 12:31 PM
Italia, Lombardia, Milano
Joined Jun 2010
146 Posts
Hi Dennis and Melih, go on with improvements

Now, after some troubles with very strong light loosing text sinc I solved, was my mistake with R3, I used 10K instead of 100K.
For all interested I upload this oscilloscope traces that I used to debug my hardware.
Bye, Carlo
carlonb is offline Find More Posts by carlonb
Old Oct 09, 2011, 01:21 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,419 Posts
About a suitable cheap acc, these two come in mind (successfully used in multiwii project) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-MMA7...-/250888793245

and

bma020 - reselled from kinderkram on rcgroups..

For a gyro an original or suitable clone wm+..
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Oct 09, 2011, 01:41 PM
Joined May 2008
1,366 Posts
Quote:
I should have plenty of spare time to play with this and make some integration

Can I ask how you have made RTH at the moment? I was thinking about 3 axis gyro + accelerometer, a descent kalman-filter and a PI or PID regulator to control the servos.
Basic RTH functions using only throttle, elevator and rudder. Stabilization/autopilot is an extra feature and not the part of RTH. you dont need a stabilizer for self-stabilized planes or you can use thermopile or imu based stabilizers for acrobatics.

For a real autopilot, You need gyro+accelerometer for stabilization and a magnetometer for flight direction. I'm strongly suggesting RazorIMU codes.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 09, 2011, 01:45 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
About a suitable cheap acc, these two come in mind (successfully used in multiwii project) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-MMA7...-/250888793245

and

bma020 - reselled from kinderkram on rcgroups..

For a gyro an original or suitable clone wm+..
IMO, that Accelerometer is analog and would require three of the Analog ports on the Arduino, the MMA7455 is just as cheap if not cheaper on ebay and is I2C. Alex has written code for the Multiwiicopter to access the I2C bus interrupt free. I believe this would be a better way to go. The Great thing about the MMA7455, the calibration only requires recording the offset and to write this offset to a reg upon boot up.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Oct 09, 2011, 01:51 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,419 Posts
Maybe I wrote the wrong number ...I meant that one that Rich uses...yes, the 7455.. Thanks for the correction.. Best thing is its really cheap .
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Oct 09, 2011, 06:10 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlonb View Post
Hi Dennis and Melih, go on with improvements

Now, after some troubles with very strong light loosing text sinc I solved, was my mistake with R3, I used 10K instead of 100K.
For all interested I upload this oscilloscope traces that I used to debug my hardware.
Bye, Carlo
Good to hear you found the error
A scope is a great help, it have helped me a lot.

Quote:
Basic RTH functions using only throttle, elevator and rudder. Stabilization/autopilot is an extra feature and not the part of RTH. you dont need a stabilizer for self-stabilized planes or you can use thermopile or imu based stabilizers for acrobatics.

For a real autopilot, You need gyro+accelerometer for stabilization and a magnetometer for flight direction. I'm strongly suggesting RazorIMU codes.
No for a self-stabilized plane you should be able to to make RTH based on GPS, but it will need a pretty good trimmed plane and good conditions. RazorIMU is just the hardware sold by sparkfun, right? Using cheap sensors like those found in wii-remotes etc. would be a lot cheaper.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 06:13 PM
RC Farmer
Joined Aug 2011
419 Posts
I too thing that wii sensors are the way to go. Look at wii-copter it is a opensource project and it flies beautiful.
Farmer_Joe is offline Find More Posts by Farmer_Joe
Old Oct 09, 2011, 06:17 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,036 Posts
And a little update. I'm done for today, so I will just put it up as a beta. I haven't tested much.

I also tested a menu which seems to work fine. Unfortunately I just made it quick - so it takes up quite a lot of space.

An early test done with 10 ohm dimming-resistor. The sync-detector doesn't really like it
Only to show the idea
http://vimeo.com/30280532
pass: osd

This have been updated:
  • Test-menu (for simpleOSD or extra button on Arduino. For now, only saved on volatile memory (fixed, will be included later))
  • US units (Please note, altitude offset must be 1 to show altitude in feet as well)
  • Dimming removed from top-characters when not active (Speed, LOS and altitude)
  • Version-number added on boot-up
  • Plane-position added as an option (will show in degrees) - Please note, not completely verified

Edit; The file is > 100 kb, so I had to rename it .doc. Just change that

Settings are now saved on permanent none volatile memory, so settings can be saved.
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Oct 09, 2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:10 AM
Electronics slayer
Reading, UK
Joined Jul 2008
494 Posts
Dennis is it worthwhile now that there are multiple versions in setting up a google code project and using that for the code repository?

Just an idea.
SouthPawPaul is offline Find More Posts by SouthPawPaul
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:16 AM
Joined May 2008
1,366 Posts
Quote:
No for a self-stabilized plane you should be able to to make RTH based on GPS, but it will need a pretty good trimmed plane and good conditions. RazorIMU is just the hardware sold by sparkfun, right? Using cheap sensors like those found in wii-remotes etc. would be a lot cheaper.
I'm not talking about hardware, you can make your own hardware with wii or other sources. But razorIMU's soruce code is ver good example about EULER Angle calculations. including matrix based calculation codes. Just replace the analog gyro and adc values with your digital ones

PS: i'm agree with SouthPawPaul, you must set up a google code page for this project
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:31 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPawPaul View Post
Dennis is it worthwhile now that there are multiple versions in setting up a google code project and using that for the code repository?

Just an idea.
Year, guess I should consider to put it on google code projects sooner or later
But you should always be able to find the newest completed version in post #1.

Quote:
I'm not talking about hardware, you can make your own hardware with wii or other sources. But razorIMU's soruce code is ver good example about EULER Angle calculations. including matrix based calculation codes. Just replace the analog gyro and adc values with your digital ones

PS: i'm agree with SouthPawPaul, you must set up a google code page for this project
Now that makes more sense. I will have a look at the code later

P.s. A few changes have been made from diy osd software 15 beta - so you might wanna wait for the completed version. Hopefully I can upload tonight or tomorrow.
Settings can now be saved in none volatile memory and most things can be configured from the menu
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:06 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2010
156 Posts
Quote:
Year, guess I should consider to put it on google code projects sooner or later
But you should always be able to find the newest completed version in post #1...
From a coding perspective, I think it would be good to break the code into several files to make it easier to maintain as the project becomes larger too. For instance, it would be good to have a separate file for the sensors, one for the display, etc. This way, people with different sensors know that they can mess with the one file without messing up the display module.
The overhead with doing this shouldn't be too much, and it would make it much more readable.

Just my personal opinion though.
android78 is offline Find More Posts by android78