HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:26 AM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer_Joe View Post
I dont see backup battery pin on the module... If you cant use backup battery or capacitor, this module is useless. Who will wait several minutes at every battery change.
I used that one with the DOSD with excellent results, only a minute or 2 for sat fixes between batter changes. Not bad at all. Should work well.
mrfliboy is offline Find More Posts by mrfliboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:48 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
I've made a Fritzing drawing for the DIY OSD schematics. I have not yet tested it so double-check if you want to use it. I hope it can help others who suffer the same lack of electronics engineering knowledge like myself.

The full fritzing file is included as well in the ZIP file. Keep in mind that PCB view has not been worked on and as such can't be used as is.

Thomas
thnilsen is offline Find More Posts by thnilsen
Last edited by thnilsen; Sep 24, 2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Updated R1 to correct value in drawing
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:54 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thnilsen View Post
I've made a Fritzing drawing for the DIY OSD schematics. I have not yet tested it so double-check if you want to use it. I hope it can help others who suffer the same lack of electronics engineering knowledge like myself.

The full fritzing file is included as well in the ZIP file. Keep in mind that PCB view has not been worked on and as such can't be used as is.

Thomas
Awesome, I had started doing the same, but will piggyback upon your accomplishment.

Thank you.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:31 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
Awesome, I had started doing the same, but will piggyback upon your accomplishment.

Thank you.
Glad if others find it useful. Feel free to use it as you like. It's my first attampt at one of these schematics so I'm sure there's room for improvements.

Found one error already, so new files have been uploaded to the original posting.

- Thomas
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:49 AM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thnilsen View Post

Thomas
That's great work

I don't have time right now, but I will check it later and attach it to first post if it's okay with you.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:39 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
That's great work

I don't have time right now, but I will check it later and attach it to first post if it's okay with you.
Please do Dennis. It's there to be shared. Let me know if you find anything that should be changed / corrected.

Thomas
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:59 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
754 Posts
Just went through it, seems like everything is correct

Old Sep 24, 2011, 02:10 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,404 Posts
Thnilsen, is this valid also for the dealextreme nano, I mean to ask is the dealextreme nano any different from the other arduino nano's with the 328 chip?
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Sep 24, 2011, 02:19 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Thnilsen, is this valid also for the dealextreme nano, I mean to ask is the dealextreme nano any different from the other arduino nano's with the 328 chip?
I would expect the units sold by dealextreme to be identical in layout/pin assignments as any other Arduino Nano. I haven't got one myself from there, but from the pictures on their site it looks the same layout.

Thomas
Old Sep 24, 2011, 02:28 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Jep, Arduino Nano sold by dealextreme is exactly the same board.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 04:27 PM
SX_
.........lost..........
Zambia, Lusaka, Lusaka
Joined Jun 2005
325 Posts
Hey i wanted to know if this would work:
http://shop.moderndevice.com/products/rbbb-kit

???

Thanks
Willie
SX_ is offline Find More Posts by SX_
Old Sep 24, 2011, 04:45 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
754 Posts
This is only meant for this very specific GPS, but the config-commands probably works for other sirf-based gps as well.

As Mrfliboy showed earlier, he had a few problems with a specific GPS. I was offered a GPS if I could take a look at it, and figured I could just as well share the result here rather than over PM

This is the GPS-device:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1470762

It should be pretty straight forward, but without a data-sheet, name or anything, it turned out to be a little challenge

I had no connector for the GPS-module, but the wires could be soldered on directly.

Connecting the GPS directly to a FTDI converter worked fine, but when connecting to Arduino I wasn't able to get any output at all.

A scope quickly revealed the problem. This is the serial data-stream when connected to the FTDI-converter:

A serial data-stream is suppose to look like this:

When connecting the GPS to Arduino, the data-stream wasn't present at all. A few tests quickly revealed, that the serial-output expected a logic high to pull low. For some reasen this is not made on the GPS-module?

The solution is too add a little pull-up resistor.

Next was the NMEA-strings. As default it was sending a lot more info than necessary. For this project only 2 strings are needed. So how do you configure a GPS without knowing the specific commands, having the datasheet etc? Good question.

As the GPS had a SIRF-chip i figured defaults sirf-commands was a good place to start. A little search later, and I found this document containing commands for a sirf gps chipset which seems to work:
http://gpsd.berlios.de/vendor-docs/s...ns-XT5x-v2.pdf

In short:
The quick and dirty solution (can't use GPS input):
If you connect GPS TX to GPS RX the output should behave normally. This can easily be done by just connecting TX and RX solder-pads on the GPS, and leave Arduino TX unconnected. It's a quick and easy solution, but as you can't use GPS RX you want be able to configure the GPS.

A better solution:
The serial-output needs a pull-up resistor (resistor connected to high/5 volt) to work probably. Connect the GPS TX pin to 5 volt with a 10K ohm resistor (or something like that). You can now connect the GPS as usually.

----------------------------------------------------
This is the arduino-code for configuring the GPS:

// Disable everything:
Serial.print("$PSRF103,00,01,00,01*25");
Serial.print(13,BYTE);
Serial.print(10,BYTE);

Serial.print("$PSRF103,01,01,00,01*24");
Serial.print(13,BYTE);
Serial.print(10,BYTE);

Serial.print("$PSRF103,02,01,00,01*27");
Serial.print(13,BYTE);
Serial.print(10,BYTE);

Serial.print("$PSRF103,03,01,00,01*26");
Serial.print(13,BYTE);
Serial.print(10,BYTE);

Serial.print("$PSRF103,04,01,00,01*21");
Serial.print(13,BYTE);
Serial.print(10,BYTE);

Serial.print("$PSRF103,05,01,00,01*20");
Serial.print(13,BYTE);
Serial.print(10,BYTE);

// Enable GGA
Serial.print("$PSRF103,00,00,01,00*24");
Serial.print(13,BYTE);
Serial.print(10,BYTE);

// Enable RMC
Serial.print("$PSRF103,04,00,01,00*20");
Serial.print(13,BYTE);
Serial.print(10,BYTE);
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Sep 24, 2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 04:54 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SX_ View Post

???

Thanks
Willie
Year, that should work just fine

But Arduino Nano costs 16.90$ incl shipping from deal extreme (including cable and FTDI converter) - so don't pick it due to the lower price
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/arduino-nano-v3-0-81877
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:03 PM
SX_
.........lost..........
Zambia, Lusaka, Lusaka
Joined Jun 2005
325 Posts
Thanx Dennis,
no the price is pretty much the same but im having problems with paypal and need to do a TT/westernunion and dealextreme dont use anything but paypal...

Thanx a lot!
willie
SX_ is offline Find More Posts by SX_
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:28 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SX_ View Post

???

Thanks
Willie
I don't see any reason why not as long as you have access to pins 11, 8,7 and 6 I believe off the top of my head..
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter