HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:08 PM
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Having trouble getting MAX7456_OSD_2.rar to see gps - The gps is working fine with the "TinyGPS" program -
I have set the baud rate in V2 to 38400 as in the "TinyGPS" program.

This is the gps I have (see attached). Maybe there is the DIYdrone firmware that is allowing it to work with the TInyGPS but not the MAX7456_OSD_2.

I see if working with Remzibi's OSD that DIY says one should install the Factory default firmware - It says, "Factory default firmware (If you're using Remzibi's OSD, you should use this!" maybe the problem?
RickEis is offline Find More Posts by RickEis
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:12 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEis View Post
Having trouble getting MAX7456_OSD_2.rar to see gps - The gps is working fine with the "TinyGPS" program -
I have set the baud rate in V2 to 38400 as in the "TinyGPS" program.

This is the gps I have (see attached). Maybe there is the DIYdrone firmware that is allowing it to work with the TInyGPS but not the MAX7456_OSD_2.

I see if working with Remzibi's OSD that DIY says one should install the Factory default firmware - It says, "Factory default firmware (If you're using Remzibi's OSD, you should use this!" maybe the problem?
The OSD expects standard NMEA-strings. If the GPS uses some binary protocol, Sirf or something else, it will simply be ignored. I think Remzibi uses same GPS-settings, so that's most likely your problem.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
The OSD expects standard NMEA-strings. If the GPS uses some binary protocol, Sirf or something else, it will simply be ignored. I think Remzibi uses same GPS-settings, so that's most likely your problem.
Got it !
Thanks Dennis
Updated the gps firmware.
It appears V2 see's the gps now (see pict)
I'm hoping the flight video w/coordinates will help if the copter/plane goes down in the woods
Can we toggle on/off?
Rick
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:58 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEis View Post
Got it !
Thanks Dennis
Updated the gps firmware.
It appears V2 see's the gps now (see pict)
I'm hoping the flight video w/coordinates will help if the copter/plane goes down in the woods
Can we toggle on/off?
Rick
Looks good
The delay is mainly to make sure the GPS have a good fix before setting home-postion. It can be changed in config-file.

GPS-coordinates is not exactly on top of the TO-DO list. It will require a lot of new small characters (or using same large font as the one that's used now).
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
On this DIY OSD, is everything connected the same way as the Minim OSD?
Like, would this work?
http://dx.com/p/minimosd-ardupilot-m...rotocol-149351

its only $27, with FTDI!!!!!!!!!
FPVdude is offline Find More Posts by FPVdude
Last edited by FPVdude; Nov 23, 2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:11 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,871 Posts
MinimOSD is for Mavlink only .. it doesn't have any processing .. it's just a display board and all data needs to be transmitted calculated...

I am currently in the process of hacking the MinimOSD and rewrote the entire software :-) Tested today and I flew 22000mph :-D I got a the wrong conversion value .. hehe .. more in my thread "Hack the MinimOSD" - search on RCG .. it's late and I am lazy :-D

Happy Holidays!
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:17 AM
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
GPS is correct, but I would prefer if you connected the sensors like this:
(just move all 3 connections 1 place)
A0 = Battery voltage (from resistor divider)
A1 = RSSI
A2 = Current sensor

It can be changed in software, but that's what I'll be using as default.

Please be aware that the voltage you have connected from the current-sensor MUST be connected with a voltage-divider. Otherwise you will end up with a dead Arduino.

(Vin is battery-voltage, Vout goes to A0 pin on Arduino. For max 4S li-po, with good safety margin, something like R1= 10K ohm and R2 = 3.3 K ohm could be a possibility)

Dennis,

I hooked things up as in the schematic for the UNO and plugged a 3 cell into the current sensor after I soldered in the resistors (see Pict). On the other end of the sensor I plugged in a 5 volt BEC which powered the UNO, GPS and MAX.

The CUR on the OSD=0.0 ...maybe it is too small to measure? but I would think it might be 0.1 or something. I'll have to hook up a motor tomorrow to see if it measures any higher current.

The MAH is 0.0 . I'll leave this connected for a while to see if it measures anything

The VLT on the OSD =4.8 ~ 4.9.
I was expecting it to be the pack voltage + 12 Volts?

Any ideas?

Rick
Last edited by RickEis; Nov 24, 2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:05 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVdude View Post
On this DIY OSD, is everything connected the same way as the Minim OSD?
Like, would this work?
http://dx.com/p/minimosd-ardupilot-m...rotocol-149351

its only $27, with FTDI!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
MinimOSD is for Mavlink only .. it doesn't have any processing .. it's just a display board and all data needs to be transmitted calculated...

I am currently in the process of hacking the MinimOSD and rewrote the entire software :-) Tested today and I flew 22000mph :-D I got a the wrong conversion value .. hehe .. more in my thread "Hack the MinimOSD" - search on RCG .. it's late and I am lazy :-D

Happy Holidays!
Yes, all the pin-config etc. should be the same for MinimOSD. I have one one my desk and just did a very quick test. Firmware loads fine etc. - but the MAX7456 have another character-set loaded and some settings have been changed.
It behaves a little weird, but I believe that's just caused by the settings on MAX7456
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:06 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,080 Posts
Rick, in config you have to change
#define VOLT_GAIN 1

It should match your voltage-divider. If you used 3.3K and 10K try with something like 5.12

The value is calculated something like this;
// Calculated by (1024)/(50*divider)

Edit: Think I might have done it different this time, might by 1/x instead. That gives something like 0.195 in your case
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Nov 24, 2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:13 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,080 Posts
Guys, to keep this thread on track for those making the OSD this thread was originally about, I've created a new thread for the MAX7456 version.
A lot earlier than planned, but the last many pages of this thread is MAX7456 talk
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post23349412
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:19 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Aug 2012
7 Posts
Hi Dennis!

Thanks for your time that takes this project.
My question is, if you could give some short advice to me for exploring the distorted display like in the attached picture.
The artificial horizon is okay even the attitude (0 0 0 ) - so what can i do?
cbob is offline Find More Posts by cbob
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:39 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbob View Post
Hi Dennis!

Thanks for your time that takes this project.
My question is, if you could give some short advice to me for exploring the distorted display like in the attached picture.
The artificial horizon is okay even the attitude (0 0 0 ) - so what can i do?
It's not my software you are using. Perhaps a heavily modified version, but not mine

What hardware do you use? LM1881 or analog comparator? If you use LM1881 it should do all the work. If it's the analog comparator, have you checked the potentiometer etc?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:46 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Aug 2012
7 Posts
I use the LM1881 on a breadbord.
I wonder, why a "middle" area is working but not the upper and the lower?! Could that be a timing problem? I use the newest (repacked) software.
Ah, and maybe this is important: I do not have no "sensores" attached to Conn2 - no battery no gps, no rssi.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:04 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Aug 2012
7 Posts
Hm, interesting thing: with mobidrone version 2.0 it works ?;-/
Maybe I have to adjust some parameters? Number of lines? It depends on the video signal?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:28 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Dennis, please may I ask you to give me an example of how to set up a Pin change Interrupt handler within the DIY ODS code? I know about using external Pins two and three but I also understand any of the other pins can be configured for an internal interrupt on change.

Here is an Library for Pin change however, I don't want to use the library but inline C code. Hope that makes sense.

http://arduino.cc/playground/Main/PinChangeIntExample

Thank you.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter