HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:47 AM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
i would personally wait to see what dennis has been working on, but if you want to get started, check this link - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1928
The MAX7456 project was just a quick idea, I haven't done much work but an initial test-code and first PCB-layout. Just show-off .

As you need a bit of experience to solder the components, it's not really an obvious DIY-project with the MAX7456. The work with MAX7456 have been done pretty quick and hard-coded, so I'm probably not gonna upload code etc. Already plenty of MAX7456 projects out there
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:53 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
822 Posts
Quote:
you will never look at projects the same way - http://www.amazon.com/Updated-Aoyue-...rds=aoyue+968a
At the price it looks amazing. Have you tried that exact model yourself?
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:32 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarky1 View Post
Alright I'm stumped.

I connected this back up on my bread board and I can only get output if I short out the cap and disconnect the pot. Here are the pics, is anyone able to help??
What kind of cap have you used? And have you checked the potentiometer is right? If you remove the potentiometer, you dont have AIN0 connected?
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:12 AM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
At the price it looks amazing. Have you tried that exact model yourself?
Have one on the bench - works excellent. Everybody I know that has one loves theirs. Between that, cheap laser cut kapton stencils (or other type), hotplate or Toaster oven, oshpark.com for nicely Priced low qty high quality 2 or 4 layer 6/6 enig finished boards In a decent time you will be able to make so many projects that i would consider professional quality (especially for what we are Doing) your significant other will think you are cheating on them. .

Highly recommend!!
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:20 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
822 Posts
Quote:
Have one on the bench - works excellent. Everybody I know that has one loves theirs. Between that, cheap laser cut kapton stencils (or other type), hotplate or Toaster oven, oshpark.com for nicely Priced low qty high quality 2 or 4 layer 6/6 enig finished boards In a decent time you will be able to make so many projects that i would consider professional quality (especially for what we are Doing) your significant other will think you are cheating on them. .

Highly recommend!!
Have to check oshpark.com. Have used BatchPCB and Seeedstudio so far. But if OSH makes PCB's every 2. day it would be really nice

I have a lot of equipment available at work and the university (SMD rework, "owen" etc.), so could be an option. A lot can be done with a normal soldering-iron, but some reflow might be a good idea with the very small components.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:28 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
822 Posts
- and a few PCB's have been ordered from oshpark.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:29 AM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Oct 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
What kind of cap have you used? And have you checked the potentiometer is right? If you remove the potentiometer, you dont have AIN0 connected?
The cap is a 0.1 uF are there different types as this one does look different to what I have seen in other peoples pictures.

Yes if I remove my pot Its the same as disconnecting Pin6 on my arduino which I thought was AIN0.

Looking at this maybe its actually pin7 that is AIN0 and pin8 that is AIN1.

http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/Ar...-schematic.pdf
sarky1 is offline Find More Posts by sarky1
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:30 AM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Oct 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarky1 View Post
The cap is a 0.1 uF are there different types as this one does look different to what I have seen in other peoples pictures.

Yes if I remove my pot Its the same as disconnecting Pin6 on my arduino which I thought was AIN0.

Looking at this maybe its actually pin7 that is AIN0 and pin8 that is AIN1.

http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/Ar...-schematic.pdf

Just answered my own question. So I think its in the correct spot.

The pot is a 50k so that should be fine as far as I can tell
sarky1 is offline Find More Posts by sarky1
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,411 Posts
Quote:

Highly recommend!!
Man I wish you were in Europe so I could send you some stuff to solder for me
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:49 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,650 Posts
Quote:
you will never look at projects the same way - http://www.amazon.com/Updated-Aoyue-...rds=aoyue+968a
That's what I have.
Nothing goes to the trash anymore. I bet you'll recognise this quote!
This weekend just repaired one ESC plush 6A by replacing the fets.

Btw is there any pcb layout available to send to some of those batch services?
I'd like to build one or two, I tried first using the perforated pcb's but it becomes a mess with wires/soldering and I'd
prefer to go SMD size.

One other alternative I was considering was to order a atmega328 to fit into a E-OSD and be able to load this code.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Last edited by IceWind; Nov 06, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:52 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Do you have a link?

Here it's a MAX7456 that's mentioned
http://code.google.com/p/arducam-osd/wiki/minimosd
Opx sorry, It was a typo.
There is no such thing as a MAX7566.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:28 PM
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Connecting elements to the Diy Osd

Can someone point me to a schematic which shows connecting the Diy Osd to a GPS, current sensor, and maybe a atmospheric pressure sensor etc?
Thank you in advance,
Rick
RickEis is offline Find More Posts by RickEis
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:04 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,843 Posts
I would be interested in the same.
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:28 AM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
I would be interested in the same.
I don't think I have seen one w/ a barometer as most use GPS altitude as it is accurate enough for this purpose. With baro it would need to be added to the code which would not be an issue, but then the mount of the unit would become very important since they are not only sensitive to pressure but light also.

Just look at how hard alt hold has been to implement in MW because of the mount issue and I am sure other FCs I am not familiar with
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:56 AM
LKJ
Lars k Jensen
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Tostrup
Joined Apr 2006
579 Posts
Quote:
I don't think I have seen one w/ a barometer as most use GPS altitude as it is accurate enough for this purpose. With baro it would need to be added to the code which would not be an issue, but then the mount of the unit would become very important since they are not only sensitive to pressure but light also.

Just look at how hard alt hold has been to implement in MW because of the mount issue and I am sure other FCs I am not familiar with
Hmmm i have being flying a homemade OSD no GPS but with barocensor for 6 years now, its is mounted in a black plastic box and works like a charm, i love the vario it give me in my glider, little bulky box and the hight is probatley a little off but the vario is somthing i dont want to fly without in my glider so no baro vario is a showstopper for me.
GPS flying hight is fine but for vario is not good.

Lars.
LKJ is offline Find More Posts by LKJ