HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined May 2010
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Nono View Post
Hello Friends

I did not like the characters make some changes so great. Since I was, I made some other changes.
Hope you like.

I'm still working.

El Nono
www.fpv-argentina.com
Hi Nono!

I really like your OSD changes! It is really clean, displays all the information you want and doesn't distract from the camera view.

I have a problem though, the top text line is not displayed clearly. It looks as if it is out of sync and shows a bunch of pixels. The line with GPS coordinates below is displayed without any problem.

I'm using the Simple OSD Open from flytron.com, with PAL. These lines had to be added to compile it for Simple OSD:
#define voltage_divider_input2 2
#define rssi_input 3

Do you have an updated version by any chance?

Or does anyone else have a version with smaller text and battery 2 voltage display that works on Simple OSD Open hardware?

Thanks,

Jonas
XDreamer is online now Find More Posts by XDreamer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Jul 2011
18 Posts
ATMega32u2

To make the DIY osd even cheaper would it be possible to use an ATMega32u2 since it has USB so no need for FTDI, analog comparator along with Arduino bootloader and add-in for both 0.22 and 1.0.1 versions, doesn't have a bunch of extra pin that would not be needed and its only $4.40 at Mouser?
See: http://www.mattairtech.com/index.php.../mt-db-u2.html
MyEyE is offline Find More Posts by MyEyE
Last edited by MyEyE; Oct 05, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Jun 2011
471 Posts
Gents, I am looking for a GPS unit that you KNOW works without modifying any of the stock code.

Preferably available in the US of A.

Cheers,
mike
mklinker is offline Find More Posts by mklinker
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:19 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklinker View Post
Gents, I am looking for a GPS unit that you KNOW works without modifying any of the stock code.

Cheers,
mike
The code have been written with the GPS from flytron as reference. I think it's available from readymaderc too.
Dennis Frie is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:49 PM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklinker View Post

Cheers,
mike
I am using the following in mine, the only code modification was to change the baud rate to 57600:
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1249

Since it is 3.3V, I do not hook up the Tx to the GPS unit, only the Rx. The Arduino has no problem getting the input at 3.3V and reads it fine, however if you let the Arduino send to the GPS unit it would be sending at 5V and may damage it. Since the unit has battery backup, you only have to send the message formatting command once, so I just hooked the gps up to my PC with an FTDI cable serial port and sent the message formatting commands over serial.

I was unable to get a simple voltage divider to work for powering the GPS, I can only assume the current draw was too high during bootup/acquisition, so I ended up using an LM317 to feed it 3.3V for power.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:48 PM
Chilled and served
Sweden
Joined Mar 2005
287 Posts
There are most likely clamping 3.3V zener diodes at the input on the gps to prevent the voltage to be to high but there isn’t anything to prevent the current to be to high but some resistors in series would prevent this. So that was how i did it on my board i put a 1k resistor in series between the Tx and Rx but i haven’t tested it yet.

By a coincident a few days ago so did i found the schematic for flytrons OSD open board and they had done exactly the same so im sure it would work just fine to do so and i haven’t herd of any that had a blown GPS or so using their board.

mklinker What i have understood so was the code pretty much written to and for the PA6B GPS and this GPS could be found almost everywhere around the world and you don’t really have to change anything in the code for this to work right away.
Henry. is offline Find More Posts by Henry.
Last edited by Henry.; Oct 05, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined May 2010
95 Posts
I tried the official 0.18 firmware for the first time this weekend, and I like it! But I think the characters are to big though, and I am not seeing the voltage reading from the second battery.

If I could just get El_Nono's version working, it would be perfect. Has anyone tried his code? It can be downloaded from here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...2&d=1339733698

I am using the SimpleOSD Open from Flytron, and I am not seeing the top line in the OSD. It looks like the sync is off on the first text line, and the text is smeared across the top of the screen. The other lines are displayed correctly.

Has anyone else tested the version 0.18 branch by El_Nono and got it working? If not, does anyone have a clue on what I should change in the code to fix the sync problem?
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:17 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Here's the Git link to the board that I designed. I'm quite happy with it for now, but there are always things to be changed about it, does anyone have any suggestions to what I could add to it? (The "Heavy" Current sensor is still being thought up/designed)

https://github.com/Legot/OSD-Board

The .skp file is a render of it for Google sketchup.
All other files are for Eagle PCB, with Rev. 3.5 being the latest designs.
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
can you post a picture, Legot?
FPVdude is offline Find More Posts by FPVdude
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:40 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVdude View Post
can you post a picture, Legot?
Sure! Here are some screenshots of the render and design. It has a few extra headers broken out around the board, which I'm hoping are well placed.

Two I2C connections (for misc sensors), a serial header(GPS, etc) that can be set to 3v3 or 5v, 2 analog headers (for analog sensors/misc),another analog header (with an unspecified voltage divider on it), a PWM digital pin (for a servo, or to give the RC rx control of the OSD, or anything else...), I also added an audio out thing, incase anyone wants to add an antenna tracker to it (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1651310).
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined May 2010
95 Posts
Top row out of sync

Hi again,

I'm still having some problems with the El_Nono version: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...2&d=1339733698

The top row out of sync and I can't figure out what is wrong. I don't really know where to start looking!

This is an image of the OSD display right now:

Can anyone please push me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Last edited by XDreamer; Oct 08, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
Nice, Legot!
FPVdude is offline Find More Posts by FPVdude
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:59 PM
Latvia, Riga
Joined Jan 2012
58 Posts
well I tried my setup on breadboard and nothing on screen.. maybe I did something wrong because I didn't use camera input but just connected prom dvd player to tv.. Well in my opinion.. it is the same signal and it should show something on screen.. maybe I use wrong pins.. I have arduino mega board to test with.. connected to D2 D3 D8 and D11 without any sensors to just see "hello world" , I set CONTROLLER 1 as I'm using LM1881.. maybe I'm doing it on wrong pins..
walkmanz is offline Find More Posts by walkmanz
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:39 PM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkmanz View Post
well I tried my setup on breadboard and nothing on screen.. maybe I did something wrong because I didn't use camera input but just connected prom dvd player to tv.. Well in my opinion.. it is the same signal and it should show something on screen.. maybe I use wrong pins.. I have arduino mega board to test with.. connected to D2 D3 D8 and D11 without any sensors to just see "hello world" , I set CONTROLLER 1 as I'm using LM1881.. maybe I'm doing it on wrong pins..
If there's no video signal at all, there is nothing for the LM1881 to latch onto in terms of video frames. Was your dvd player inputting video to your OSD input? You get a purely black screen on your output?
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:00 AM
Latvia, Riga
Joined Jan 2012
58 Posts
no, I was playing some random movie so there was video signal.. I'm thinking that there maybe some loose conection on breadboard.. That could be the problem..
walkmanz is offline Find More Posts by walkmanz