HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
Here is my recent progress on the OSD...
made a really tiny SMD one, but I couldn't program it
made a REALLY SCRAPPY non LM1881 version that works but I havent tested the GPS or current sensor part yet.
I am thinking about sending a non-SMD version of the board (with current sensor) to BatchPCB. Would anyone want one?
I have attached my board files below.

New jZip archive file
FPVdude is offline Find More Posts by FPVdude
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,419 Posts
I can see from the code that the gps is setup for 9600 baud,..at how many Hz?
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old May 10, 2012, 05:47 PM
RC Farmer
Joined Aug 2011
419 Posts
Funny thing today i discovered that when you go over 10k, los is going in minus for 1km than it starts over from 000...

Is it possible to configure that it don't save home position till 8-9 satelites.
Farmer_Joe is offline Find More Posts by Farmer_Joe
Old May 11, 2012, 07:26 AM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,641 Posts
Something is about to born...

almost done, just finishing last details...
jalves is offline Find More Posts by jalves
Old May 12, 2012, 08:23 AM
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Aug 2009
186 Posts
Hello all

I've been using this code in a old Flytron board and following this thread for a while. I had the flytron board for a long time then one day killed the current sense input by plugging it in wrong. I replaced the CPU and crystal and loaded the DIY-OSD code. I made my own current sensor board.

This worked great for many months then last week the GPS started giving strange results. The altitude was not correct and sometimes the distances etc. would fail.

Long story short, I wanted to see the satellite count during flight so I made a mod to the code to display satellites where it once said "SPEED" it now shows "SP 00", 00 being the count. This worked great and I was able to determine that I'm loosing satellites when climbing. Now to find a solution.

I'm using a 1Hz Unitraq GT-720F GPS module set to provide just the 2 NMEA messages at 38400 baud.

Data embedded in video:

I've seen mention here about sending back GPS position within the video. So I've been thinking about it and suspect it should be possible to hide the data in a 2-3 video lines prior to the first lines of the GPS position text at the top of the screen. I would have to build a unit to extract the data at the receiver but this shouldn't be too difficult and I'd like to use something like the Happy Killmore antenna tracker. It could send back position, altitude and maybe an alarm or two.

I'm thinking of 2 or 3 lines of black and white async. 0-9 and a few extra characters. Each character could be 16-bit output like one line of a standard large characer and maybe 20 characters per video line.

The large characters are 2 bytes wide so data could be coded a 3 pixels per bit:
0nnnNNNnnnNNN000 gives 4 bits per character width

From what I've seen of the code, it should be not much more than adding an extra row of text. My unknown is wether the CPU will run out of time or if it will interfere with other processing.

If anyone has any thoughts I'd be interested.

Paul
PMB-NZ is offline Find More Posts by PMB-NZ
Old May 12, 2012, 09:05 AM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
1,032 Posts
Sorry guys. I'm still around, but have been pretty busy lately and have a few other projects that's stealing my time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glofuel View Post
Ah... just found if I draw some 8 amps thru sensor the summary screen turns off.

So how can I increase the sensativity of the micro i/p sense pin or maybe just change the 73.2k R fitted on the atto sensor o/p ?
The summary-screen will turn off as soon as you pass the limits that can be set in the config-file. Can't remember exactly, but it's something like 5 km/h, 5 Amp, 100 meters LOS, 100 meter height etc.

My summary-screen disappears as soon as the plane is airborne (speed > 5 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_s View Post
Thanks Joe. I used just that reference for testing . And it works if GPS is alone, but not with arduino...
Some idiot must have been programming the DIY OSD software, cause it's a mess, and more or less all memory have been used - making it very easy to cause problems with memory etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer_Joe View Post
Funny thing today i discovered that when you go over 10k, los is going in minus for 1km than it starts over from 000...

Is it possible to configure that it don't save home position till 8-9 satelites.
Sorry, haven't forgot about the updated version, but just haven't got the time.

You can change the number of satellites, but as default it uses the "GPS-fix" instead of satellite numbers. Check gps.cpp (around line 818)

if (homepos == 0) {
// If we have GPS-fix;
if (GPSfix > '0') {

Instead of GPSfix you can use the number of satellites and set the value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalves View Post
almost done, just finishing last details...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMB-NZ View Post
Hello all

I've been using this code in a old Flytron board and following this thread for a while. I had the flytron board for a long time then one day killed the current sense input by plugging it in wrong. I replaced the CPU and crystal and loaded the DIY-OSD code. I made my own current sensor board.

This worked great for many months then last week the GPS started giving strange results. The altitude was not correct and sometimes the distances etc. would fail.

Long story short, I wanted to see the satellite count during flight so I made a mod to the code to display satellites where it once said "SPEED" it now shows "SP 00", 00 being the count. This worked great and I was able to determine that I'm loosing satellites when climbing. Now to find a solution.

I'm using a 1Hz Unitraq GT-720F GPS module set to provide just the 2 NMEA messages at 38400 baud.

Data embedded in video:

I've seen mention here about sending back GPS position within the video. So I've been thinking about it and suspect it should be possible to hide the data in a 2-3 video lines prior to the first lines of the GPS position text at the top of the screen. I would have to build a unit to extract the data at the receiver but this shouldn't be too difficult and I'd like to use something like the Happy Killmore antenna tracker. It could send back position, altitude and maybe an alarm or two.

I'm thinking of 2 or 3 lines of black and white async. 0-9 and a few extra characters. Each character could be 16-bit output like one line of a standard large characer and maybe 20 characters per video line.

The large characters are 2 bytes wide so data could be coded a 3 pixels per bit:
0nnnNNNnnnNNN000 gives 4 bits per character width

From what I've seen of the code, it should be not much more than adding an extra row of text. My unknown is wether the CPU will run out of time or if it will interfere with other processing.

If anyone has any thoughts I'd be interested.

Paul
Hi Paul
Using video to transfer data shouldn't be too difficult. You have a few blank lines before the actually video-feed (if I remember correctly). But it's more difficult to decode and I believe the Audio-modem should be more stable. Jalves have been working on some modem that should be available soon
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old May 12, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,419 Posts
Development on antenna tracker: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post21594564
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old May 12, 2012, 04:54 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,641 Posts
Dennis,

I forgot to announce it here, Sorry!

Folks,

The Open DIY AT is online, check it here: http://code.google.com/p/opendiyantracker/
Old May 12, 2012, 05:05 PM
Quad lover.
Joined Dec 2011
853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalves View Post
Dennis,

I forgot to announce it here, Sorry!

Folks,

The Open DIY AT is online, check it here: http://code.google.com/p/opendiyantracker/
Thank you for all your work, I can't say it enough times.
I was already trying to figure out how to do this but I don't need to do any work on it now .
chaosdestro0 is offline Find More Posts by chaosdestro0
Old May 12, 2012, 06:06 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosdestro0 View Post
Thank you for all your work, I can't say it enough times.
I was already trying to figure out how to do this but I don't need to do any work on it now .
Don't forget it is a BETA version
Old May 12, 2012, 08:52 PM
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Aug 2009
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Sorry guys. I'm still around, but have been pretty busy lately and have a few other projects that's stealing my time.

The summary-screen will turn off as soon as you pass the limits that can be set in the config-file. Can't remember exactly, but it's something like 5 km/h, 5 Amp, 100 meters LOS, 100 meter height etc.

My summary-screen disappears as soon as the plane is airborne (speed > 5 km/h)

Some idiot must have been programming the DIY OSD software, cause it's a mess, and more or less all memory have been used - making it very easy to cause problems with memory etc.

Sorry, haven't forgot about the updated version, but just haven't got the time.

You can change the number of satellites, but as default it uses the "GPS-fix" instead of satellite numbers. Check gps.cpp (around line 818)

if (homepos == 0) {
// If we have GPS-fix;
if (GPSfix > '0') {

Instead of GPSfix you can use the number of satellites and set the value.

Hi Paul
Using video to transfer data shouldn't be too difficult. You have a few blank lines before the actually video-feed (if I remember correctly). But it's more difficult to decode and I believe the Audio-modem should be more stable. Jalves have been working on some modem that should be available soon
Hello Dennis

Thanks for the comment.

I have just changed my insalled code to fix home on 7 or more satellites. Good idea. I may also add the option to turn off the gps position entirely when the altitude alarm is active.

I thought about audio for antenna tracking and decided that the video method was only a code change at the OSD end. Also my video seems to be a bit more steady than the audio. If the video data was unreliable it could easily be changed to 4 or 5 lines with "larger" data bits.

Yes, I had a look at the code and thought there may be enough time at the beginning of the frame to add a few lines. It may fit without removing the menu.

The hardest part would be decoding it. I'm not really a Arduino programmer but have been doing PIC assembly programming for 15+ years, so if I do it I'll probably use a PIC decoder. A simple error check will be needed and some common sense in the decoder, like: reduce allowed antenna movement as the plane moves away.

Paul
PMB-NZ is offline Find More Posts by PMB-NZ
Old May 13, 2012, 03:06 PM
Sweden
Joined Aug 2004
110 Posts
Hi Richard_s and Dennis,

I have the same "problem" as Richard_s.
I can change my GPS with PC (MiniGPS program) to 5 Hz and GGA/RMC at 9600 baud - and then it works on the Arduino DIYOSD.

But if I try to change directly from the Arduino - the change does not work - default values remain.

It is OK if one has a LiIon backup battery connected to the GPS - but when it is empty then you have to change via PC again.

Any solution?

Regards Pete
ElectoPete is offline Find More Posts by ElectoPete
Old May 13, 2012, 06:38 PM
Joined Jul 2007
181 Posts
Hy

I tried to run a second Serial RX port on pin number 8 which is broken out on the Flytron SimpleOSD. However I can't use the SoftSerial liabary since after programming the SimpleOSD wont' boot up anymore.

Why is this so and is there a posibility to overcome this?

Thx
Andy
GekoCH is online now Find More Posts by GekoCH
Old May 13, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GekoCH View Post
Hy

I tried to run a second Serial RX port on pin number 8 which is broken out on the Flytron SimpleOSD. However I can't use the SoftSerial liabary since after programming the SimpleOSD wont' boot up anymore.

Thx
Andy
I did allot of playing with trying to get SoftSerial to work with this DYI-OSD and it will not because it is not interrupt driven. It would require lots of rewriting of the code and I did not want to invest the time.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old May 14, 2012, 12:10 AM
Basel, Switzerland
Joined Mar 2008
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GekoCH View Post

you can't do software serial with this as the osd-outputting itself needs most of the cpu-time for itself exclusively.

interupts have nothing to do with this (you shouldn't have any other interupts anyway).

hmm, after rethink this... the osd outputs 15k lines per second, roughly evenly spaced (time wise, 1/15000 seconds apart). so you could use that interupt to output serial data too, at 15000 bauds or so. doing 4800bauds, with every third line could work too, and you could maybe even receive serial data but thats a lot of work to get right...
quix-fz is offline Find More Posts by quix-fz