SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,424 Posts
I tried this:
Code:
#if (dim_on == 1)
// This is used for dimming. can be changed to another pin if you want. 

#define DimOn  DDRB |= 0b000000010;
  #define DimOff DDRB &= 0b111111101;
#else
  #define DimOn  DDRB |= 0b00000000;
  #define DimOff DDRB &= 0b11111111;
#endif
but it didn't work...

So now I'll try -> #define DimOn DDRB |= 0b000000010;
#define DimOff DDRB &= 0b111111101;

Any input what else could be wrong? ( I'm going with DF's lm1881 schematic)
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Last edited by msev; Apr 03, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:43 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
without seeing the circuit you built, I have no way of knowing.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,424 Posts
According to Dennis it should be like this...I'm going by the book with his schematic..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Sorry, my mistake. You toggle it between input/output when dimming on/off. It should just be set as input in the beginning.

As Chrisser said, the only thing that should be necessary to change is:
Line 213 should be replaced with this
#if (dim_on == 1)
#define DimOn DDRB |= 0b00000001;
#define DimOff DDRB &= 0b11111110;
#else
#define DimOn DDRB |= 0b00000000;
#endif
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Good Luck
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
Good Luck
Can I break something if I upload this ? How is even the pin selected with all those numbers ..I'll wait till tommorrow
Last edited by msev; Apr 03, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
My error, I posed some code from one of my experiments, this is right code for the Arduino with the LM1881

Code:
#if (dim_on == 1)

#define DimOn  DDRB |= 0b000000001;
  #define DimOff DDRB &= 0b111111110;
#else
  #define DimOn  DDRB |= 0b00000000;
#endif
If you are not getting the shadows with this, then there is something wrong with the values of the resistors.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Jan 2011
81 Posts
Quote:
What I am thinking of trying is a trim-pot and of course do lots of ground testing. I am also looking into a DTMF chip, I ordered a few.
Just curious, what was the part number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
A simple AC-coupling of the PWM-output and a voltage-divider to match your audio-input should do the trick
Sorry, I meant to say the RX side. What hardware did you use for the RX?
pia32 is offline Find More Posts by pia32
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pia32 View Post
MT8870DE for the decoding. I believe the Arduino can handle the encoding.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Jan 2011
81 Posts
Are you sure that the MT8870D will work? The DTMF frequencies are different than the ones that the OSD uses

Have you looked at the XR2211?
pia32 is offline Find More Posts by pia32
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Quote:
Are you sure that the MT8870D will work? The DTMF frequencies are different than the ones that the OSD uses

Have you looked at the XR2211?
We will see.

I looked at some of the modems (300-1200), to complicated in my opinion.
Last edited by rimshotcopter; Apr 04, 2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:08 AM
Sverige
Joined May 2009
74 Posts
So I have finally flown with the DIY OSD onboard my Easyglider, it's awesome! Everything works perfect, even the cheap GPS from DE (EM-411). It's actually quicker to get a GPS lock than my flytron GPS and the near proximity to the 1.3GHz VTx doesn't seem to affect it at all. The 1Hz update rate doesn't seem to be a problem with the slow flying easyglider anyway. The HW I use is SimpleOSD Open.

I just had a thought about telemetry: How about making it video-based and compatible with Eagle Eyes FPV station? With the FPV station you have diversity, tracking and video splitter all in one unit and it's pretty cheap. What do you think? Is it doable?

/Andreas
andreas77 is offline Find More Posts by andreas77
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:45 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,424 Posts
That eagle-eyes could be neat, even neater would be if we could make our own eagle-eyes station .

I saw an arduino based tracking solution, that worked on the principle of comparing rssi from two receivers, is that too imprecise? (and does it become more and more imprecise when the plane is more and more far away and its signal weakens and is more closer to becoming "baseline noise")

Another thing, how many times can you remove/insert an arduino with male headers into female headers hehe.

Yep the dimming works now.

I gotta ask again about the rssi, is it okay if only the "signal wire" is going into the analog input, and the ground from the 3 pin servo connectors is not connected to the gnd on arduino? (or should it be since every signal needs its reference?)
Last edited by msev; Apr 04, 2012 at 04:14 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:12 AM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
1,081 Posts
Quote:

Sorry, I meant to say the RX side. What hardware did you use for the RX?
Never really tested much, but you should be able to make it pretty simple. The receiving sketch is made for an Arduino/Atmega and uses an Interrupt to detect every wave. The output signal from the receiver is AC, we don't want anything negative. You can start as simple as possible, and see what works best:
1) Simple diode
2) positive unbiased clamp
3) positive biased clamp
4) positive biased clamp -> opamp
5) (perhaps simple diode -> opamp)

Quote:
MT8870DE for the decoding. I believe the Arduino can handle the encoding.
Arduino/Atmega can handle both decoding and encoding - servo-control on ground, battery-monitor and whatever. I don't really see any need for an extra IC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas77 View Post
So I have finally flown with the DIY OSD onboard my Easyglider, it's awesome! Everything works perfect, even the cheap GPS from DE (EM-411). It's actually quicker to get a GPS lock than my flytron GPS and the near proximity to the 1.3GHz VTx doesn't seem to affect it at all. The 1Hz update rate doesn't seem to be a problem with the slow flying easyglider anyway. The HW I use is SimpleOSD Open.

I just had a thought about telemetry: How about making it video-based and compatible with Eagle Eyes FPV station? With the FPV station you have diversity, tracking and video splitter all in one unit and it's pretty cheap. What do you think? Is it doable?

/Andreas
Looks very good
I have pretty much stopped developing, as the OSD does all I need for new - and I have started a few other projects. But I'm still around and don't mind to help you guys. But personally I would just use the audio-channel as it should be a lot easier to read again, and as far as I know, more stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
That eagle-eyes could be neat, even neater would be if we could make our own eagle-eyes station .

I saw an arduino based tracking solution, that worked on the principle of comparing rssi from two receivers, is that too imprecise? (and does it become more and more imprecise when the plane is more and more far away and its signal weakens and is more closer to becoming "baseline noise")

Another thing, how many times can you remove/insert an arduino with male headers into female headers hehe.

Yep the dimming works now.

I gotta ask again about the rssi, is it okay if only the "signal wire" is going into the analog input, and the ground from the 3 pin servo connectors is not connected to the gnd on arduino? (or should it be since every signal needs its reference?)
A tracker based on RSSI should work okay and be pretty easy to make. The Arduino code should take 2 minutes to write, so it's a quick test .

And yes, as long as you use a 1-battery setup, it should only be necessary to connect the signal wire.
Dennis Frie is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:32 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,424 Posts
Hope you return and finalize this tracker stuff coz i'm incapable:-)...i've already found the code for rssi tracker, but I'm a bit worried about its performance at the edge of antenna performance (5.8ghz helix + a cp omni)...so what are your new projects after your second most popular project - spectrum analyzer (first is of course diy osd).
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:53 AM
LKJ
Lars k Jensen
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Tostrup
Joined Apr 2006
645 Posts
Don't forget, a tracker based on RSSI will always follow the strongest signal, when you are a long way out and your signal become week, it is not necessarily yours signal anymore, its been done by more then one person, here on RCG but was never really reliable.

Lars.
LKJ is online now Find More Posts by LKJ