HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,404 Posts
Sorry for the wobbly pic of the osd in action, I was too happy that its working so my hand was a little bit shakey , this is my first pcb btw.

Got gps lock outside pretty fast (behaviour red led stopped blinking and stopped shining).

More pics arriving soon.

Btw what is the basic principle of how an audio modem works?
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:46 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
762 Posts
Thanks for sharing, very nice to see you guys still build etc. My OSD have been taped inside my plane for months .

The audio-modem is AC-coupled, so in general you use the same principle as used in radio-communication. You send a sine-wave, and by changing the frequency just a little bit, you can send 1 or 0. For the audio-modem you can use a square-wave and change the frequency of a single wave to represent 1 etc.
Dennis Frie is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:35 PM
Flying TRI! Thank You Alex!
United States, PA, Reading
Joined Dec 2010
10 Posts
Audio Modem - audio frequency range

Hi Dennis. What is the frequency range of the audio modem?
PilotGuy95 is offline Find More Posts by PilotGuy95
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:48 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGuy95 View Post
Hi Dennis. What is the frequency range of the audio modem?
The frequency range? The test-sketch linked earlier uses a PWM-output with a base-frequency around 2 khz as far as I remember. I can't remember the frequency deviation, but I increased it a bit compared to the one used by Melih/Flytron. But you can just change the frequency if you want.

What do you need it for?
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:08 PM
Joined Jan 2011
81 Posts
Dennis

Do you have a schematic for your audio modem? Or can you give a brief description of the hardware?

Thanks
pia32 is offline Find More Posts by pia32
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:27 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pia32 View Post
Dennis

Do you have a schematic for your audio modem? Or can you give a brief description of the hardware?

Thanks
A simple AC-coupling of the PWM-output and a voltage-divider to match your audio-input should do the trick
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:29 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
762 Posts
Just a quick picture. I know the text OSD text isn't perfect, but the OSD is still taped inside the plane

- and we got a bit of snow as well.

Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:17 AM
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
Scheme would have a full transmitter and receiver or input PC audio card
and the pc and sw arduino?
thank you very much
sorry for my English is google.
bag63 is offline Find More Posts by bag63
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:47 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bag63 View Post
Scheme would have a full transmitter and receiver or input PC audio card
and the pc and sw arduino?
thank you very much
sorry for my English is google.
Sorry, I don't quite understand the translation.
I believe the OSD have enough cpu-time left to be used as audio-modem too.

On the ground I would use another Arduino to decode the data and perhaps also control an antenna-tracker etc.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:32 AM
brisbane
Joined Jul 2005
600 Posts
HI
Noobie here.
I love this project !
It's now on the top of my next build bit for expanding into more fpv.I have build several arduino Wii boards for multi's and feel up to this task.
I have read 60+ pages so far and most makes sense however I think more people could get this going with a real simple " put this wire here" type of diagram. The schamatic is easy enough to follow but I am still a little unsure as to how to wire the gps into the whole thing.
I might be a bit slow but I am sure I am not a lone of this.
This looks like a fantastic and cheap way to get into the electronic side of the hobby for the less techinically minded..
Long live open source !
Rob
onlyifamppowered is offline Find More Posts by onlyifamppowered
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:30 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,404 Posts
Best bet for you is to buy the flytron 10Hz GPS that is already on a breakoutboard...On that board you will see +,-,R and T...+ and - are for powering the unit (with 5V)...R on the GPS you have to connect to TX on arduino..and T on the GPS you have to connect to RX on arduino.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:44 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,404 Posts
Dennis I took a look at the audio-modem code...basically this is just the protocol for sending the data right, there are not yet any routines yet added to extract data from the gps right? Will you add it? so the data will go out from one of the analog pins right..I already layed out one more..
and the data would go to audio in on the vtx right?
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:38 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,665 Posts
Here is what I believe would be a good way of connected the Arduino to the Sound/audio signal of the transmitter. Substitute the speaker for the audio-in on the transmitter.

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Tone

Of course, we need to develop a scheme for sending the data. Decoding I am still working on that.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:53 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Best bet for you is to buy the flytron 10Hz GPS that is already on a breakoutboard...On that board you will see +,-,R and T...+ and - are for powering the unit (with 5V)...R on the GPS you have to connect to TX on arduino..and T on the GPS you have to connect to RX on arduino.
Yup - thanks for explaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Dennis I took a look at the audio-modem code...basically this is just the protocol for sending the data right, there are not yet any routines yet added to extract data from the gps right? Will you add it? so the data will go out from one of the analog pins right..I already layed out one more..
and the data would go to audio in on the vtx right?
An Arduino can only output high or low - nothing else. That's why we use a square-wave output instead of a sine. I can't remember what pin I used for PWM output, but the Atmega 328 supports a few pins for hardware-generated PWM output. Sorry to say, but it's not any of the analogue pins

Yes, it's just the send/receive part that's included in the sketch. But as the transmitting part accepts a string, you can just update the string in the GPS-handler, set a flag high to indicate the data is ready, and the audio-modem will transfer the string. At least, that's how I would do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
Here is what I believe would be a good way of connected the Arduino to the Sound/audio signal of the transmitter. Substitute the speaker for the audio-in on the transmitter.

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Tone

Of course, we need to develop a scheme for sending the data. Decoding I am still working on that.
I would AC-couple the PWM output and preferable use a voltage-divider instead of just a current-limiter/series resister. The AC-coupling might not be necessary, but the voltage-divider will allow you to match the signal to the required/optimal signal level for the audio-input of your video-transmitter.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:58 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post

I would AC-couple the PWM output and preferable use a voltage-divider instead of just a current-limiter/series resister. The AC-coupling might not be necessary, but the voltage-divider will allow you to match the signal to the required/optimal signal level for the audio-input of your video-transmitter.
There is 100ohm resistor inline, the value can be adjusted of course.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter