SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:22 AM
More jets than a carburetor
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,809 Posts
Discussion
HET L-39 VS Jet Teng L-39

I am going to build a 12S 90mm L-39. I know both HET and Jet Teng have them and the look the same to me.

Can someone tell me the difference? Looks like the Jet Teng is $200 more.

Also if someone has any data on the Typhoon 700-68 in the HET 90mm fan for the 1200KV and the 900KV on 12s let me know!

Thanks.
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2011, 01:44 PM
Its a Condition not Addiction
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Jul 2008
2,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydve76 View Post
I am going to build a 12S 90mm L-39. I know both HET and Jet Teng have them and the look the same to me.

Can someone tell me the difference? Looks like the Jet Teng is $200 more.

Also if someone has any data on the Typhoon 700-68 in the HET 90mm fan for the 1200KV and the 900KV on 12s let me know!

Thanks.
I have seen the Quality of both kits. I would go with the HET. Much better paint, and fiberglass is stronger. Both look really nice, but I think the quality of the HET is much better.
lashmett75 is online now Find More Posts by lashmett75
Old Jul 18, 2011, 01:48 PM
More jets than a carburetor
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,809 Posts
Thanks man!
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
Old Nov 26, 2011, 01:50 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
Lashmett75,

You obviously haven't seen the JTM L-39. The Jet Teng model has a single piece full composite wing where the HET has two built up balsa wing halves. No comparison in the quality of these two kits. On a scale of 1 to 10 the JTM is a 10 and the HET is maybe an 8 at best. If you're on a budget go with the HET but if you want a top notch full composite 90 mm L-39, the JTM kit is the best I have seen.
Double E is offline Find More Posts by Double E
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:03 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,296 Posts
I assure you James has ssen the JTM version...

JTM makes VERY good models. I have seen and flown both.

The JTM may have composite wings, but if you want to talk Flight Characteristics and Performance, the HET wins.

I recently balled up my HET L-39 when FOD took out my fan, and I'll have another on order very soon. Less expensive, flies better, I can deal with wood wings... I can't tell when it's in the air anyways...

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:16 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
Ace,

I have my fair share of HET planes but they just don't compare when it comes to the fit, finish, and quality of the JTM kits. Obviously as a EJF pilot working on developing HET kits it makes you pretty biased. Like I said, if you are on a budget and are not interested in a full composite wing with panel lines and rivets, by all means go with the HET but to say the HET is a better kit is not accurate.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:50 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashmett75 View Post
I have seen the Quality of both kits. I would go with the HET. Much better paint, and fiberglass is stronger. Both look really nice, but I think the quality of the HET is much better.
You're kidding, right? There Is absolutely no comparison between the two. The JT blows it out of the water as far as quality and all-around looks is concerned. How can you say a kit that has film covered wings is better than an all-composite kit? The fiberglass and paint is better with the HET? It seems as though you haven't even looked at the JT version even though I know you have. You simply can't compare the two. The HET isn't even in the same ballpark as the JT.

I would expect a bit more of a reasonable reply from a builder of your expertise.

S
smaze17 is offline Find More Posts by smaze17
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:54 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
My thoughts exactly. Next thing you know Ace will be comparing his HET kits to BVM's. I actually look forward to HET introducing full composite epoxy resin kits but until then, I'm going to stick with the better quality JTM kits.
Last edited by Double E; Nov 26, 2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 03:07 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Het is definitely stepping up there game, if ace has built and flown both and says the Het performs and flies better I would put a lot of weight on this opinion. vic what is it about the Het that contributes to its better performance? how do they compare weight wise
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Nov 26, 2011, 03:16 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
Het is definitely stepping up there game, if ace has built and flown both and says the Het performs and flies better I would put a lot of weight on this opinion. vic what is it about the Het that contributes to its better performance? how do they compare weight wise
I too have seen and experienced both in detail and trust me, no comparison.

S
smaze17 is offline Find More Posts by smaze17
Old Nov 26, 2011, 05:38 PM
Australia
Joined Jan 2010
66 Posts
Couldn't agree more. JTM models are spot on. As you say on a budget HET L39 is ok but no comparison. I was excited when HET released the F16 90mm but haven't seen any positive feedback on any forum to rush out and get one! They do such great fans and motors but there aircraft quality is lacking. Lets hope they have lifted ther game on the composite Sniper? So far following the threads it looks ok but will wait for feedback once it is out there.
SLING is offline Find More Posts by SLING
Old Nov 26, 2011, 05:57 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
Yeah, my Phase 3 F-16 flies better than any other ducted fan I own but I'm not going to try and compare it to the JTM because it flies better. Again other than the fact that they are both 90mm L-39's there is very little comparison in the quality of these two kits. Remember, Ace is compensated for supporting EJF and HET so his opinion is biased at best. If HET was sending me their latest prototypes I'd probably talk them up as well.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 06:09 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
My thoughts exactly. Next thing you know Ace will be comparing his HET kits to BVM's.

I actually look forward to HET introducing full composite epoxy resin kits but until then, I'm going to stick with the better quality JTM kits.
Definitely not. HET is not BVM, but then again you don't have to sign away your first-born for it.

And you do realize that all the new HET kits are Epoxy-Glass... right?
Old Nov 26, 2011, 06:13 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,242 Posts
Hey, I don't know who you two guys are that speak so highly of JTM , but I know Ace and Lashmett75. I would take both their words over yours, they build and fly circles over most guys.

If you guys like composite wings and rivets, and that is your deciding factor in picking a better plane to fly... then, it's obvious you are not flyer's, just lookers.

Perhaps I am slighted, I have the HET L39 still sitting in the box, I tracked it down and bought it after I saw Ace fly his, just had to have one.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Nov 26, 2011, 06:20 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
I don't have a JT version readily available, so I can only comment on the HET version:

My HET L-39 weighs in at just under 10lbs. and is clocked consistently at right around 130mph. Flight characteristics are very good (she handles like an advanced trainer), and she still slows down very nice for landings with Full Flaps (see any video). Also seems that the HET tracks alot better throughout the entire speed envelope... no funny tail-wag at high speed.

On a side-note:
Anybody can pull the "biased" card on me; it's absolutely no secret that I fly for EJF and that I am heavily involved in the new HET prototypes.

However, anybody that actually KNOWS me (aka the people and clubs I fly with here, and across the country,) knows that I don't just say stuff based on my sponsorships.
I'm a genuine modeler and hobbyist. The things I say here are the things I would recommend (and do) to all my friends.

But, if you've already branded me as a person that just says stuff to say stuff, then you might as well not take any of my thoughts or opinions into consideration; instead, consider them invalid and just move on.
To each his own! I stand behind everything I say and do, just ask the people around me. It's not a "brand war" everywhere I go, but alot of people (ignorant people) like to think of it that way.

Like I said earlier, JTM makes good stuff (and by the way, EJF.com carries JTM products ) but I'll take the HET over the JTM anyday.

Good day gentlemen!

Vic