HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:18 PM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
thanks for the answers!

one more question, obviously this wing has no inside cargo space, so you must cut to get a lower profile for anything installed: speed controllers, batteries, and so on.

How much depth is available for carving cargo space out, without compromise to strength?
nyc863 is offline Find More Posts by nyc863
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:35 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc863 View Post
thanks for the answers!

one more question, obviously this wing has no inside cargo space, so you must cut to get a lower profile for anything installed: speed controllers, batteries, and so on.

How much depth is available for carving cargo space out, without compromise to strength?
The wing is thick enough I can stand my 4500 mA 3S batteries on their edge and still have clearance in the wing. It is over 2" thick for over 9" back and 30" wide for you to bury batteries and is thick enough to stand the servos up back by the rudder.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:40 PM
Distributed Manufacturing
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Jun 2009
359 Posts
This wing is a thing of beauty. If I could afford one at the moment I would have ordered one last night when I first stumbled across this thread. I really like the skid and the front props.

Do you think it would cause a problem if the motors and props were move closer into the wing and prop clearance was cut away out of the leading edge of the wing the length of half of the prop?
Quixksilver is offline Find More Posts by Quixksilver
Old Jul 20, 2011, 03:11 AM
Luxembourg
Joined May 2009
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
The price that you will see in the cart is for the plane including shipping. The foreign shipping is $50.

We show the total price to simplify the ordering process. There are times with multiple orders on small planes we can save you money by bulk shipping. If we can save you money we will let you know when you order.
Sorry for the mistake.

Then it may be a possibility. I am waiting for the first build logs and reviews.
iacei is offline Find More Posts by iacei
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:54 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,055 Posts
I hope the videos have been helpful. We haven't always had a camera on when something happens but the videos show most everything we caught on tape including the bloopers. The plane is as stable as it looks. I have flown trainers that are harder to fly.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:55 AM
"Still Crashing since 1960"
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
Guys Lee is using different materials and therefor different construction techniques, before you change a lot on any kit he makes, try his methods first please. This will save you a longer learning curve. I am now using some of his techniques on other foam planes.

These planes are tough and fly well "as issued" I have built many of his planes now and will build many more.

I have my own way of doing things like many old timers, but these planes will work if you even color close to lines.

nut
rcairnut is offline Find More Posts by rcairnut
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:03 AM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcairnut View Post
Guys Lee is using different materials and therefor different construction techniques, before you change a lot on any kit he makes, try his methods first please.
Just curious, what were you anticipating people might screw up by not picking the (soon to be) published build method?
nyc863 is offline Find More Posts by nyc863
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:19 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,055 Posts
Most builders can do a great job with the old methods but we build to survive a crash that would destroy other planes.

I copied this to this thread and I think it describes our building philosophy.

Why do we suggest you install the radio and batteries after covering the plane?

Many flyers build our planes using more traditional method of putting all of their radio in one compartment.
They install the radio before they cover the plane and cover over the top.
They lay the servos down and hide them in the wing.
I have to admit it is prettier and seems logical.

All parts of the wing structure should contribute to the strength and durability of the plane.
The wing is made from EPP foam that resists crushing
Top and bottom spars create an "I-beam" that is many times stronger than a single spar alone.
Spars add compression strength
Reinforced tape adds tension strength to prevent tearing
The shock cord helps prevent the most common tear in a wing that happens with a frontal impact.
Our strong laminate makes the plane into a uni-body structure so all parts work together.
Our EPP elevons don't break and can bend with the wing protecting the hinge line.

Our years of combat have taught us to make the parts easy to get to and change.
Having quick access to the radio makes it so repairs take minutes not hours.
The plane is stronger and more crash resistant if there is no empty space in the wing.
I build and laminate the wing then go back and cut holes for the servos radio and batteries.
This helps me to judge the CG and get the parts in the right place.
It lets me cut the bare minimum amount of foam out of the wing making the wing stronger.
The radio and batteries become part of the structure of the wing.
I route wires though razor blade slits that cut through the tape and laminate and press in the wires.
I'm careful not to cut through reinforced tape and spars that are needed for strength.
I cover the slits with a clear piece of clear tape over the top.
I tape the receiver in place so I can see the power light and have easy access to bind to the transmitter.
If I have to replace a part, I pull off the tape, replace the part then replace the tape.
I glue the servo in the wing with a hot glue gun rather than gluing mounting brackets in the wing.
I stand the servo up with the servo arm barely exposed on the top of the wing.
I only put glue on the top edges and ends on the servo so I can get it out without cutting the foam.
The servo becomes part of the wing and is very solid without much work.
If I need to replace a servo I use my heat gun to soften the glue and replace the servo.
The pushrods are on the outside of the wing so they don't bind and are easier to install, inspect and service.
I put the pushrod under the servo arm to keep it close to the wing.
I put a staple over the middle of the push rod to keep it from bending and glue it in the wing.
Batteries are protected if the flat side of the battery faces forward rather than an end or edge.
The battery can withstand an extreme hit in this position without wire damage or mushrooming.
This does tend to leave the battery wire to ESC wire plugs on the top of the wing.
Having the battery wires exposed makes changing the batteries simple without weakening the plane.
Our years of combat have taught us to try to make repairs and battery changes as painless as possible.

We are still adding pictures and refining the details but the instructions are fairly complete and can be seen here.

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/index....ntle-Giant-FPV

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Jul 20, 2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:28 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,072 Posts
Mine arrived today. It's a nice looking kit. I was happy to see it came with all the hardware (linkages, horns, etc).
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:30 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
Mine arrived today. It's a nice looking kit. I was happy to see it came with all the hardware (linkages, horns, etc).
Considering the fact you rank pretty highly on my list of folks that just speak their mind and give credit where credit is due I'm looking forward to hearing more about your experience with the HGG.

Cheers,

Sander - ImmersionRC
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:25 AM
Canada,Quebec
Joined Jan 2005
2,028 Posts
The dedication put into your building instructions is remarkable.
Definitely a nice FPV plane.
Hugeone is offline Find More Posts by Hugeone
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:39 AM
Spektrum Dev Team
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Apr 2002
1,052 Posts
your skid is very similar to the one I use for FPVicious.... did you realize with tip floats it may very well ROW (rise of water) just fine if your skid has a step at the back that extends just behind the CG?

The airplane looks fantastic, great work!
aaronredbaron is offline Find More Posts by aaronredbaron
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:08 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronredbaron View Post
your skid is very similar to the one I use for FPVicious.... did you realize with tip floats it may very well ROW (rise of water) just fine if your skid has a step at the back that extends just behind the CG?

The airplane looks fantastic, great work!
I was the club seaplane funfly organizer for years. I thought of this as a seaplane but EPP foam soaks up water and so it would be difficult unless the plane was cut out of blue foam. The skid is not big enough to support the weight in water and would need to be significantly enlarged.

I learned a lot about skids when I designed the Snowball and the Capricorn. These planes are a blast on the ground and I wanted that in my FPV plane.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898958
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=930241

Capricorn Mini RC Plane HQ (7 min 1 sec)

Snowball ATV in the Leaves 10-08 (4 min 5 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Jul 20, 2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:12 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,882 Posts
If EPP is so good, why didnt they build the Spirit Stealth bomber from it?
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:47 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
If EPP is so good, why didnt they build the Spirit Stealth bomber from it?
It would have cost more.