Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:50 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3dm View Post
Perhaps you can do a duration test in real life with the new four 4500mah 3S packs ? that would be interesting.

Also, how does the Hercules take off and land on asphalt ?
Watch the video in post #11. It shows the plane taking off of asphalt. It does scratch up the skid to do so and some of our testers are trying to imbed a wheel in the skid to decrease drag and wear and tear on the skid. The plane takes off so fast that it doesn't spend much time on the skid. If the plastic starts to wear through I would put a second layer of the plastic liner over the first to extend the life of the skid.

Below are some pictures of John's design for the wheel in the skid. When we tested the wheel we found the plane harder to steer on the ground but we have not given up on the idea and think it can work if we get it right.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jul 19, 2011 at 08:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:04 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacei View Post
Very Very nice plane, I wanted direct to buy it but 230$ just for the shipping...no go.

But again, very nice concept and just perfect for FPV.
The price that you will see in the cart is for the plane including shipping. The foreign shipping is $50.

We show the total price to simplify the ordering process. There are times with multiple orders on small planes we can save you money by bulk shipping. If we can save you money we will let you know when you order.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:08 AM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
I am sold
put in an order after just 10 minutes of reading
the cost is less than half of the cheapest heli I fly ..
and still less $ than all the fpv stuff that goes in the frame!
nyc863 is offline Find More Posts by nyc863
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:39 AM
Joined Jun 2010
561 Posts
Awesome Plane!

Some Questions:
What happens if one of the motors or esc's dies? Spin to death or is it still stable enough to land savely?
Is it possible to put a 5000mAh 4s Lipo in it (143x51x34mm)
Where can i put all the fpv electronics: OSD, Stabilisation sensors etc
nabazul is offline Find More Posts by nabazul
Last edited by nabazul; Jul 19, 2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: added #3
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:01 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
What material is used for the ailerons/elevators?.

Cheers, Kev.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:15 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabazul View Post
Awesome Plane!

Some Questions:
What happens if one of the motors or esc's dies? Spin to death or is it still stable enough to land savely?
Is it possible to put a 5000mAh 4s Lipo in it (143x51x34mm)
Where can i put all the fpv electronics: OSD, Stabilisation sensors etc
If one of the ESCs turn off a motor which does happen on twin motor planes, cut the throttle and feed back in low throttle and both motors will come back on with enough power to return to base. The plane glides so well that there isn't much difference in having one motor or two. I do the same thing when flying with one motor.

I got caught off guard one time when I had a motor cut out on a touch and go when I hit the throttle and was climbing out and it did spin in. This is where having a combat tested FPV plane is beneficial because all I did was break a prop.

4S batteries add a lot of power to the plane The C3530 KV1700 motors are rated to fly with 4S lipos and our airframe is strong enough to handle the added power. The plane would have enough power for vertical climbs. I would use 4S lipos if I was going for the altitude record which I think this plane could hold. The ESCs have to be capable of managing the 4S battery, I would make sure my servos were rated for the added power and make sure my BEC is working properly but it would be no different than with a single motor plane.

The plane has a lot of room for your FPV gear. As long as you don't make the plane tail heavy you can put it anywhere you want. We fiberglass spars instead of carbon fiber spars so you won't get radio interference from the plane itself.

I don't recommend a specific FPV set up. Go to the RCG threads and read what other people are doing and equipment they like. The technology is advancing so fast that I don't dare to put a recommendation because the technology is changing so fast and there is such a wide range of equipment available. One of the companies that has consulted with us on the Hercules have a set up option that costs over twenty thousand dollars and other flyers are up and running for a few hundred. How you set up your plane will need to be based on your need, skill, and wallet.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:10 PM
Payson, Utah
Joined Feb 2010
147 Posts
elevators/elevon EPP. Rudder cloraplast.
burhead27 is offline Find More Posts by burhead27
Old Jul 19, 2011, 02:44 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,010 Posts
Nice looking plane.
Why not just glue some PCP to the skid? Land anywhere forever.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:03 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,067 Posts
Beta Testers

Cliff, Mike and others. Did any of you use a single motor? How did it fly? How did you mount the motor?
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Jul 19, 2011, 04:31 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,217 Posts
This plane would of been perfect if it broke down for transport....
its just too big for my Little 2 door car.....My car is smaller than
your Corolla.

LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Jul 19, 2011, 06:36 PM
Australia, WA, Carlisle North
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
I ordered one. Its been shipped and motors/ESCs are on there way. Ordering Servos today. When It arrives Il take some pics, should be next week some time.

Regards

Doug
spitfire_Doug is offline Find More Posts by spitfire_Doug
Old Jul 19, 2011, 06:42 PM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
Are there any motor options with the twin motor config that would allow 6s?

the reason I ask is this plane for FPV and distance needs a lot of MaH, and I for one have a lot of battery choices if I use 6s, I've got lots of 3300mah 6s, lots of 4000 and 5000 6s batteries..

So I'm wondering if there are any small efficient motors with low kv that would suit, rather than having to beef up my 3s and 4s collection (if only I could take power two 3s ESC/motors with a 6s by tapping the voltage in the middle).
nyc863 is offline Find More Posts by nyc863
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:24 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
Nice looking plane.
Why not just glue some PCP to the skid? Land anywhere forever.
Give me a link and we will see what it can do.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:30 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc863 View Post
Are there any motor options with the twin motor config that would allow 6s?

the reason I ask is this plane for FPV and distance needs a lot of MaH, and I for one have a lot of battery choices if I use 6s, I've got lots of 3300mah 6s, lots of 4000 and 5000 6s batteries..

So I'm wondering if there are any small efficient motors with low kv that would suit, rather than having to beef up my 3s and 4s collection (if only I could take power two 3s ESC/motors with a 6s by tapping the voltage in the middle).
You can use any motor configuration you want. We have not tested other motors and I learned the hard way not to endorse motors I haven't tried. The plane can carry the batteries and the weight so the question is can you link them up with the a motor that will produce enough thrust.

You have prop clearance for about 8" max if you are planning on taking it off like you see in the video in post #1. 7" is better That is why we liked the C3530 KV1700 motor.

Have some of the rest of you tried other motors that may be a good choice with the 6S that you like well enough to recommend?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:37 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.au View Post
What material is used for the ailerons/elevators?.

Cheers, Kev.
We use EPP elevons. If you haven't built one of our planes before the way we build our elevons may confuse you. When you get them in the box you will think that there is no way they will be stiff enough. After you put two layers of laminate on them they will be almost as stiff as balsa with several major advantages. #1. they don't break in combat. #2 The hinges don't tear because the elevons and the wing flex with the same tension. #3. I can install them in a few minutes and don't have to do my least favorite job of cutting hinge slots. #4. they look good because they are the same color as the wing. #5. They are thick enough I stab a hole with my hobby knife clear through the elevon, poke in the horn from the bottom, and glue it in place without using a back plate or screws.

The rudders and fins are made out of coroplast.