2,445 Posts
nice and cheap!
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:37 PM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,477 Posts
What size batteries do you use and whats the flight time / possible distance for one flight ?
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:41 PM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
$215
jkarnacki is offline Find More Posts by jkarnacki
Old Jul 18, 2011, 04:00 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,987 Posts
I know it sounds too low for a plane with 8 square feet of wing made out of EPP.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:04 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,217 Posts
Lee

Nice plane Lee,

Wow, thats a steep price for a foam wing...

I've never flown with 2x motors and 2x ESC's before.....

1. What are your average Flight times with your setup and weight onboard.
(I would want atleast 20min + ).

2. Since there are 5 servos already, us FPV user' are going to add 2 more servos for pan/tilt on our CCD viewing FPV camera,
Is it safer to use BEC? do we use 2 BEC since there are 2x ESC's?

3. I would like to know if you have tested this plane in very windy situations?
(20mph and up winds). Just to see, and just asking?
I've seen the small turbulence video.

p.s.
How is that going to fit in a small car? :-)
stupid question, but does it breakdown into pieces for transport?
I've looked at the Foamaroo and the 2m Alulah.

i3dm
What size batteries do you use and whats the flight time / possible distance for one flight ?
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Last edited by LexusFPV; Jul 18, 2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:10 PM
Joined Jun 2011
129 Posts
WOW what a launch of this amazing plane. I jumped at the chance to see this plane fly in person before it was offered for sale. It is amazing in every way. Getting a good steady gentle platform in flight to film from, is essential to a good watchable video. It just may be the best plane yet for this, and protecting your camera in a crash or hard landing, has to be at the top of my qualifications list.
THIS IS A WINNER!!!!!
Great job Lee
KEN RC FILMS is offline Find More Posts by KEN RC FILMS
Last edited by KEN RC FILMS; Jul 20, 2011 at 04:15 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:22 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Nov 2006
94 Posts
I'm really interested in this. It looks fantastic.

I'll have to wait for some of the early adopters to get some build videos up though. I've only built a few planes so far...

Let's hope this thread develops.
MaxGen is offline Find More Posts by MaxGen
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:05 PM
United States, MS, Clinton
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
Sweet.....I am almost done with my Reaper and you spring this on me? At least my wife understands my addiction.......
bamabaxter is offline Find More Posts by bamabaxter
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:59 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
Lee

Nice plane Lee, Wow, thats a steep price for a foam wing... I've never flown with 2x motors and 2x ESC's before.....

1. What are your average Flight times with your setup and weight onboard.
(I would want atleast 20min + ).

2. Since there are 5 servos already, us FPV user' are going to add 2 more servos for pan/tilt on our CCD viewing FPV camera,
Is it safer to use BEC? do we use 2 BEC since there are 2x ESC's?

3. I would like to know if you have tested this plane in very windy situations?
(20mph and up winds). Just to see, and just asking?
I've seen the small turbulence video.

p.s. How is that going to fit in a small car? :-)
stupid question, but does it breakdown into pieces for transport?
I've looked at the Foamaroo and the 2m Alulah.

What size batteries do you use and whats the flight time / possible distance for one flight ?i3dm
Great questions and I will do my best to answer them.

EPP foam is the best building product on the market, not a down grade. It really is the top of the line. Once you have tried it you will have a hard time ever flying balsa planes again. The EPP planes last and last and can take abuse and still look good. Repairs are almost invisible because EPP foam won't crush but returns to it's original shape. The skilled builder can make an EPP plane as attractive as a balsa plane and it looks good for longer. The warbird flyers in our club admit that our flying wing combat planes get more hours of flight time in their lives than any other plane they have with the least amount of repair and maintenance. It's true .... Our planes are used in combat and last longer than the scale and sport planes. I then asked them which plane cost the least (for it's size) to build......and guess what???? The plane that cost the least was the one that they flew the most, was the most abused, lasted the longest and had the least amount of repair.

The Hercules is a big plane and a good deal for it's size. I can cut 9 Assassins or 4 Reapers with the foam it takes to cut one Hercules with 12" extension and skid. EPP foam is expensive. It costs many times more than blue or white foam and it is expensive to ship and more difficult to cut. When I have a cutting wire break or a bad piece of foam or a miscut it costs me a fortune. If you compare our prices (including the parts and laminate) with other similar planes on the market, we offer a great price. We also offer the buy 5 get one free for clubs and commercial customers and those crazy customers who think they need 6 planes. You also save time and money because you would go though a half dozen of the high wing EPO planes during the lifespan of the Hercules. This plane is a combat plane and can take abuse. There are other factors that you need to consider when you figure the cost of a plane. EPP wings offer maximum protection to your radio, batteries and FPV/camera equipment. The kit includes laminate covering that would cost $50+ if you used a comparable amount of Ultracoat. It is also designed to use lower priced 3S batteries, ESCs, servos and lower voltage inexpensive motors. Often the hidden costs are more than the cost of the plane.

Flying with two motors and ESCs is not any more difficult than flying with a single motor and but I will admit the set up takes more time. You do have to learn how to manage the motors and batteries but it isn't difficult. You can use any motor set up you want but we chose to use the twin motors because there are some definite advantages. I love simplicity too but I can't get the clear camera view, performance and ground handling with a single motor.

Many flyers use a separate servo power supply (BEC) to provide power for their servos. I looked for higher amp speed controls (ESCs) that have the BECs built in. Because of the way the speed controls connect to the receiver the two BECs work together to provide power for the servos. The two BECs combined have plenty of power to run the servos. If you need more power you could set up a separate BEC for more power. Separate BECs are not very expensive and easy to install. I have never had a problem with a lack of power just using the BECs in the speed controls. Many flyers regularly use 4-5 servos on one speed control BEC on a single motor plane. Here you have 2 BECs both supplying power so you should be able to run 8-10 servos if needed. Our design uses smaller servos that use less power than similar sized planes. We can use mini Hitec HS82s or the MG90s because the flight surfaces are smaller so we don't need as much power for the servos.

The plane is fun to fly not just an FPV plane. I will frequently set up and do touch and goes for a whole flight with a few Cuban 8s and vertical 8s, rolls and invert flight mixed in. This plane will do multiple outside loops with a camera attached. Try that with your FPV plane. I have flown trainers that are harder to fly and land at a faster speed and are far less stable on the ground. We were surprised when we shot the video of the Hercules from the Skywalker that the Hercules could fly slower with a heavier load and was much more stable and easier to launch, land and taxi back to base. The Hercules can also fly faster. The Skywalker had a top speed of about 50 mph and the Hercules with 3S batteries was flying at 65-70 mph.

Flight times are excellent. The plane has lots of power with the recommended motors and the less expensive 3S batteries. Look at the steep angle of climb in the videos on take off after the plane was stopped on the ground. All of the videos were shot with 3S batteries. The sky flights in the videos are usually at a half throttle and that is at 4500 feet above sea level where I live. Flight times are always dependent on how you fly. I'm sure if I flew wide open throttle the whole flight I would have low flight times but I can keep the plane up for a long time because it is designed to glide so well. It doesn't take much power to keep it up. I designed gliders and flew them fanatically for 15+ years and what I learned has been used in the design of the Hercules. I know it doesn't look like a glider but she is easy to fly with a load.

I have just received four 4500 mA 3S batteries that I will be able to carry on a single flight. These batteries should last well over an hour maybe two hours or more depending on how I fly and the conditions. This plane flew half throttle in the video carrying 5 lbs of water and battery. If I flew with the same total weight of battery I would have over 25,000 mA of 3S battery power on board for a super long flight.

You saw the plane in the wind in the video.
The mountains are windy and the wind was not up the slope but along it which made conditions turbulent. The plane just cut right though. What we didn't show in the video were the hang glider and parasail flyers waiting for the wind direction to change so they could fly. We fly our other combat planes in winds that have been measured at 30+ and I don't see why this plane couldn't do the same. There was also some wind with the Touch and Go video and the plane didn't even care. You need to land into the wind and take off into the wind so there is moving air under the wing but once it is in the air the Hercules doesn't really care.

To fit the Hercules in my Corolla I lay the passenger seat flat and insert the plane through the driver side back door and lay it over the passenger seat and put one wing tip in the back window and the other is on the floor in front of the seat. I can transport it this way ready to fly so there is no time wasted at the field putting on a wing or plugging in servos.

We use EPP elevons. If you haven't built one of our planes before the way we build our elevons may confuse you. When you get them in the box you will think that there is no way they will be stiff enough. After you put two layers of laminate on them they will be almost as stiff as balsa with several major advantages. #1. they don't break in combat. #2 The hinges don't tear because the elevons and the wing flex with the same tension. #3. I can install them in a few minutes and don't have to do my least favorite job of cutting hinge slots. #4. they look good because they are the same color as the wing. #5. They are thick enough I stab a hole with my hobby knife clear through the elevon, poke in the horn from the bottom, and glue it in place without using a back plate or screws. We use more conventional coroplast rudders and fins.

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Nov 25, 2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 06:32 AM
Joined Nov 2010
95 Posts
Lee,
Wow - I would never have seen that wing coming. It looks like its performance and practicality will be hard to beat.

I'm starting to put all my pennies in a jar for one right now As you say - the EPP might be expensive up front, but the radio and motor parts are very cheap compared to other wing designs, and you'll save money due to the durability in the long term.

Is this the next cannonball in an FPV arms race? I hope so!
HighwayChild is offline Find More Posts by HighwayChild
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:04 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,477 Posts
Perhaps you can do a duration test in real life with the new four 4500mah 3S packs ? that would be interesting.

Also, how does the Hercules take off and land on asphalt ?
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:34 AM
Luxembourg
Joined May 2009
780 Posts
Very Very nice plane, I wanted direct to buy it but 230$ just for the shipping...no go.

But again, very nice concept and just perfect for FPV.
iacei is offline Find More Posts by iacei
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:39 AM
"Still Crashing since 1960"
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Guys have any of you run any of these brands that are on e-bay?

Thanks,

nut
rcairnut is offline Find More Posts by rcairnut
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:49 AM
Bugs!!!!!!!
USA, OK, Wayne
Joined Sep 2009
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacei View Post
Very Very nice plane, I wanted direct to buy it but 230$ just for the shipping...no go.

But again, very nice concept and just perfect for FPV.
I think that is total price.
viper6549 is offline Find More Posts by viper6549