HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:47 PM
Deacondon
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
Build thought for wiring

I am just starting a 78" Herc, initially manual + autopilot, then FPV. I was thinking of boring a 1/2 in "wiring chase" almost full width of the span a few inches ahead of the rear spar. Seems if it was at half the wing depth it would be on or near the neutral fiber and wouldn't weaken the wing. It would intersect with the servo, radio cutouts, etc., allowing wiring changes for revisions or adding the FPV xmt without cutting into the laminate or tape. Anyone have thoughts on this idea?
DeaconDon is offline Find More Posts by DeaconDon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:41 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
I've considered that DeaconDon, and think it's a great idea if you can make it work. Let us know what you end up using for the wire tunnel, if you get it working.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:46 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
661 Posts
I'm letting go of my Herc which is very customized for AP / FPV. Will be posting pics soon. It's a beauty but it's too big for my space and has to go. It is basically body + servos only. Countless man hours, etc.. Will hold and protect a gopro or multiples in custom skid in three different orientations: front / rear / downward. Will gather photos soon. Unfortunately I don't know how I would ship it given it's size so I guess it will be local pickup only - Houston, TX area.

Thanks
Chris
imagebuff is offline Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:44 AM
Joined Sep 2009
6 Posts
Hi Lee!

What you think about using two combo set from FunJet on Hercules 66"?
Is it very heavy?
PabloId is offline Find More Posts by PabloId
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:48 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,621 Posts
The wattage and thrust look to be in the right range. It would have the right size of prop for ground clearance but I have never used that set up.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:35 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
661 Posts
Thinking about selling my Hercules frame. Highly customized and extremely well built. Custom AP pod with gopro bays for forward, rear, and downward views. I don't think I could ship this 72" beast so pick up in Houston area would be necessary. Anyone interested?
imagebuff is offline Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:14 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,621 Posts
I thought I would update you on what is going on.

We have noticed sales are about 1/3 for the Twin Puller Herc kits and 2/3 for the Single Motor Pusher Herc kits. The latest Herc Pusher is a little more swept adding a little stability and making it easier to get the CG correct.

We have had some interesting commercial and XXXXXXXX customers that have re-ordered the Herc pullers and Pushers several times. They like Herc design is still cut from EPP not EPO one of the most stable flying wing designs on the market and avoids the ground loops and tip stalls when loaded with a heavy load.

We have noticed that more than half of the people contacting us about the FPV planes don't have any flying experience. They see the big wings but don't have the skills to fly them when they need something a little slower and easier to fly to start with. Many of them know electronics but do not have flying skills.

We were approached by the local university when the engineering students were assigned to design auto pilots. They needed a plane that would last and fly well as they were doing the assignments. Knowing that most of them were non flyers, we designed and cut the easiest to fly planes I know of that could meet their needs. Even though most of the students had no RC experience but we got an E-mail that they had purchased 16 planes and had all 16 flying with new pilots two weeks later. The plane they got was the Albatross which is a 46" all EPP self stabilizing plane. This plane will level its own wings and put its nose on the horizon without an auto pilot.

No sooner did we start cutting the 46" version than we started getting requests for a bigger FPV version that was capable of carrying a load. We scaled up the plans and made a couple of modifications and came up with the 68" Storm Chaser. This is one sweet flying plane!!!! If you can't fly this you can't fly.

We have several commercial customers using the Storm Chaser. We have had several requests from Search and Rescue for a plane that can give air support without having to have a great deal of experience.

We are offering to all of our past Hercules customers a $20 discount on the Storm Chaser just to say thanks. E-mail us to get the discount before placing an order.

Here is a link to the new Storm Chaser thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1778381

Lee
Last edited by Lee; Dec 10, 2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:59 PM
Australia, WA, Carlisle North
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Just throwing it out there....Love my herc, loaded up with 20ah of batt, flight times to make my ZII cry, stability of a brick s#1t house and more crashes on its sholders then most planes need to go through . Great plane Lee and does the job well!

Doug
spitfire_Doug is offline Find More Posts by spitfire_Doug
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:43 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,621 Posts
I have more people come to see what I am flying with the Hercs and the Storm Chaser than any other planes I fly. They are impressive and when set up right fly great. If you like big planes they are planes you ought to consider. They can take more abuse than any other planes of their size and survive.

If you are new start with the self stabilizing slow flying EPP foam Storm Chaser. If you want the mother of all flying wings that can still fit in a small car fly the EPP Hercules. By the way..... My Storm Chaser also fits in my Toyota Corolla.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:34 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,621 Posts
Herc Pusher

Hercules Pusher Maiden flight (4 min 27 sec)
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:36 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,621 Posts
Another video of the Herc Pusher in action with an 808 #16D HD video camera.

Herc Pusher 63" with 808 #16D (5 min 20 sec)
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:00 PM
Fly like you stole it .
United States, VA, Lorton
Joined Sep 2004
109 Posts
I finished my Hercules pusher today. Took it out for maiden and made a short video the APM 2.5 needs some adjusting but everything else was great.

Here is the video
Hercules Maiden (7 min 25 sec)
airibatic is offline Find More Posts by airibatic
Old Mar 12, 2013, 04:02 PM
Fly like you stole it .
United States, VA, Lorton
Joined Sep 2004
109 Posts
Second flight with Herc

Second flight with Herc. Nice crash into tree.

Hercules (12 min 47 sec)
airibatic is offline Find More Posts by airibatic
Old May 15, 2013, 10:50 AM
Joined Jan 2009
34 Posts
condor y apm 2.5

this is my modified condor

condor y apm 25.mp4 fin (5 min 10 sec)

http://www.makedrones.com
jimcartin is offline Find More Posts by jimcartin
Old Jun 08, 2013, 10:48 PM
Joined May 2010
900 Posts
Well, I fell in this vortex. Just ordered the bigger pusher version.

I have a question though, not at all related to my order. I have read on this thread that many have tied the BEC's with a y adapter. I read that many have advised against this, it being worse with switch mode IIRC. Have there been any issues doing that? At one point in this thread, I think someone actually saved an airplane because they did, but I also wonder if it was the cause of the failure?
Deadstick 8409 is offline Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409