HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:51 PM
Joined Nov 2010
95 Posts
Speaking of motor and props, is there any reason why twin inrunners around 2000-3000kV with 7x4 or 6" props are a bad idea?

Aren't inrunners generally meant to be more efficient but heavier?

And the increased noise from the higher rpm might be offset by the quieter front prop layout?
HighwayChild is offline Find More Posts by HighwayChild
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:57 PM
Long Range FPV'er
Joined Feb 2009
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
Mykro-
I have had great experiences with HobbyPartz and have considered buying these motors. Are you currently using any of these? One of the things I am curious about with this motor, can the shaft be pushed through so that the motor can be front and rear mount?
I haven't used any Exceed products yet... I've always used Turnigy for my motors and ESCs.. etc... I'm tired of the long wait for my parts from Hobby City... Hobby Partz shipped the same day!! I ordered on Monday arrived today on Wednesday.. I can tell you just by looking at these motors they look to be well made!! The reviews are encouraging too... You need to constantly check their website for availability.. Those motors sell like hotcakes..!!

I'm chewing on a Reaper or the Hercules for my next FPV platform.. I wish the Reaper had the same configuration as the Hercules (twin motors.. skids.. etc...) but at the Reaper size..
Mykro is offline Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:39 PM
"Still Crashing since 1960"
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykro View Post
I wish the Reaper had the same configuration as the Hercules (twin motors.. skids.. etc...) but at the Reaper size..
roll your own, let's see, 2 red motors, a scrap block of EPP it would work!
show us the pic's when you build it, you know you want too

nut
rcairnut is offline Find More Posts by rcairnut
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:04 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,154 Posts
http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dye-1004-40a-esc.html

Here is a 40A ESC with a 3A BEC from Hobbypartz

I think this motor is at least worth a try but it isn't clear if it can run 4S like the C3530, KV 1700 can.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/86mb82-3010-1700kv.html

Lee

Exceed RC Brushless Rocket Series Motors (3 min 12 sec)

Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jul 28, 2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:28 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,154 Posts
Here are more answers to questions from my E-mails.

Flying a twin motor plane is not hard. If you think about how the motors work together you can understand how the plane flies. Electric motors are so dependable that most of the problems they used to have with gas motors are gone. The Hercules flies best if both motors are running at the same speed. We try to use the same brand and size of ESC, motor and prop on each side so they will perform the same.

I recommend that twin fins are used on the stock plane too. The twin fins puts a rudder behind each motor just like many of the military planes like the P38. The plane flies well with a single rudder but I was surprised how much more stable it is with the twin rudders.

The tip fins protect the elevons and get the back of the plane off the ground for take off and add yaw control. After much testing the combination we include in the kit is what we liked best.

The electrical set up is easier than you are thinking. You "Y" connect two ESCs to the throttle on your receiver and plug one motor in to each speed control. Try to buy speed controls that have a BEC built in, the two BECs in the speed controls will work together through the "Y" connector so you do not have to add an additional separate BEC. Neither of the planes in the videos have a separate BEC we just used the stock speed controls to do the job.

Both speed controls can plug into a one battery or each speed control can plug into their own battery supply. I had a separate battery supply on each motor in the videos.

Foam planes are stronger than balsa. There is no comparison. Once you own an EPP foam plane you won't want to build any other way ever again. Go to our site and watch the combat videos with our combat planes. The planes survive a beating and keep on flying. Balsa cannot do what the foam can do. Using the same combat technology and tricks on the Hercules will make it last.

Putting a wheel collar on the motor shaft behind the E-clip prevents the prop shaft and bell from ejecting if the E-clip fails.
I have had it happen a couple of times over the years. Usually there is no damage but it is hard to find the bell after it goes shooting off into space. See the pictures of the motor set up in the building instructions here: http://www.crashtesthobby.com/index....e-Giant-AP-FPV

Thanks for the questions.

Lee

Here are tribute videos to the P38s. I'm showing them to show the rudders behind the prop.

DOGFIGHTS, P38 LIGHTNING VS ME 109 (5 min 51 sec)

2010 California Capital Air Show - (4-Ship) P-38 Lightning Formation & Flybys (5 min 49 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Jul 28, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 02:24 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,026 Posts
I just bought one of the C3530 KV 1700 motors, this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Park-470-KV1700-...-/320722459102
It looks great, but I cannot reverse the shaft. It came set for inrunner. I removed the retaining clips on the one side, the allen screw on the other, was able to seperate the side with the windings, but teh other will not budge. I tried everything, including putting it in the freezer, and (I know its taboo) wrapping on it lightly with a screwdriver and wrench to try and poke it through. I tired both directions in case its not symmetrical. There is a cone collet included for outrunner, but the shaft will still stick out the other side a couple of inches. Any idea, or are some sold unswappable?
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Jul 28, 2011, 02:33 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
I just bought one of the C3530 KV 1700 motors, this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Park-470-KV1700-...-/320722459102
It looks great, but I cannot reverse the shaft. It came set for inrunner. I removed the retaining clips on the one side, the allen screw on the other, was able to seperate the side with the windings, but teh other will not budge. I tried everything, including putting it in the freezer, and (I know its taboo) wrapping on it lightly with a screwdriver and wrench to try and poke it through. I tired both directions in case its not symmetrical. There is a cone collet included for outrunner, but the shaft will still stick out the other side a couple of inches. Any idea, or are some sold unswappable?
Look in the instructions for building the Hercules. About 1/4th the way down the page I have a picture of how to set the motor up either way. One of my Hercules has the cone on and the other has the prop saver. You can choose and it doesn't make a difference in how the plane flies.

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/index....e-Giant-AP-FPV
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:45 PM
Joined Nov 2010
95 Posts
If you're overseas, don't bother with HobbyPartz.
They want $USD45 to ship 5 of those 40gram servos internationally!
When I double checked it with them they just gave me the "we're sorry you have a problem with our shipping" line...

Has anyone seen any other sources for those servos?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:12 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,561 Posts
Which servos mate?
If you are talking about the MG90S Hobbyking is one alternate. I don't know where you are but HobbyKings shipping to the states for small items is reasonable- just not very fast

Thanks for the perspective. My experience with HobbyPartz has been all positive but that is most likely largely because I am here in the States and also not far from them. My last order shipped free and was here within four days.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Jul 28, 2011, 06:52 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,026 Posts
Thanks for the info Lee.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:32 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,154 Posts
Thanks John for this link on a way to set up FPV

RCModelReviews weekly news for 29 Jul 2011 (7 min 7 sec)
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:34 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,154 Posts
Please "Quote" this list and start adding descriptions and links to the equipment you like. I will copy the list to our web page and to one of the first posts on this thread. Tell if you are using the product or not and how well it meets your needs.

Here is a start from HighwayChild. Fill in the blanks

The basic components should be something like:

Equipment on Plane

1) Camera

2) Transmitter

3) Transmitter/Camera power source, whether dedicated battery or power supply

4) (optional) OSD

5) (optional) Lost model alarm/beacon

6) (optional) Pan/Tilt

Groundstation

1) Receiver(s)

2) Antenna(s)

3) (optional) Diversity if needed

4) Display (screen or goggles)

5) (optional) DVR

Radio

1) (optional) Long Range System

2) (optional) Headtracker

RC Transmitter/Receiver

1) Radio Transmitter and # of channels

2) Receiver

3) Speed Controls

4) Servos

5) Batteries

Last edited by Lee; Jul 29, 2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:08 PM
Joined Nov 2010
95 Posts
Hey JPN,
I was talking about the high torque servos that Lee pointed out for $5. They look like quite a good deal.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:53 PM
Australia, WA, Carlisle North
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
That Visor method RCMR are showing will work, but the little screens will lack resolution. Still its a cheap solution.

Doug
spitfire_Doug is offline Find More Posts by spitfire_Doug
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:08 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_Doug View Post
That Visor method RCMR are showing will work, but the little screens will lack resolution. Still its a cheap solution.

Doug
Please give us some links to items you like better.