Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 30, 2011, 05:36 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,604 Posts
The 550 is only about an inch or two smaller than the 600. Its like the difference between the v400 and the rex 450. What i like about the 600 is the ability to get a clone for cheap and spare parts are everywhere. They share alot of the same parts but the frame parts, or the ones they dont share, are alot more affordable with the clone market. I've got my eye on the copterx 600 pro clone. I could make that one a 12s 3D monster, and use the hk600 in the bell 222 fuse.

Here i go again, new heli not in the air yet and i'm planning for the next one....

Will this ever end?
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:26 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,072 Posts
No ending

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
The 550 is only about an inch or two smaller than the 600. Its like the difference between the v400 and the rex 450. What i like about the 600 is the ability to get a clone for cheap and spare parts are everywhere. They share alot of the same parts but the frame parts, or the ones they dont share, are alot more affordable with the clone market. I've got my eye on the copterx 600 pro clone. I could make that one a 12s 3D monster, and use the hk600 in the bell 222 fuse.

Here i go again, new heli not in the air yet and i'm planning for the next one....

Will this ever end?
You are sooo funny my friend ! Let's go all the way now,it's too late to stop and I don't know what END means on this super addicting hobby.
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CO2X 4X4 Rev.02
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:32 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,760 Posts
Heli Heli has the 5503gx for $815 It comes with all the top of the line parts like servos esc blades and motor. All I would need is a satellite receiver to plug into 3gx. Still need to buy batteries. It might take a little less battery than 600 but not sure. Its a couple of inches bigger than a 500. Just thinking of options. Okay, its way to much money for me right now anyway. Besides, I'd have to drive somewhere to fly it.
The 6003gx combo is $951.
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:59 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,760 Posts
Of coarse if I got something like the 550 there would be NO flying in the backyard. Not even a test hover.
Check out this deal on a 500.
http://www.performanceplusrc.com/ser...E-Super/Detail
Then I would just get another Tarot 500 head gyro combo for $95.

Oh man, I almost got one of those 500s, I have to control myself.
Last edited by barnstorm100; Dec 30, 2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:37 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
Of coarse if I got something like the 550 there would be NO flying in the backyard. Not even a test hover.

i hear ya..... as much as I'd hate to do this, I've been looking at what I can dismember from my 450mutt and use in a 500. It looks like I can use the 2702 rx, the align 520 tail servo, and I think at least temporarily the alpha 400 3500kv motor and the 40a exceed esc. ?

That means all I would really need is a decent clone fbl frame (tarot?) and some new cyclic servos. hmmm, that's do-able..... And not to mention that'll leave me with an entire set of spares for my 450 3gx..
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:42 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post

hey barn, i was just looking again at that link you posted, and it looks like it comes with a gyro and you won't need to get that tarot one, so i guess there's no real reason for you not to get it, huh
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:52 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberto View Post
hey barn, i was just looking again at that link you posted, and it looks like it comes with a gyro and you won't need to get that tarot one, so i guess there's no real reason for you not to get it, huh
It comes with a tail gyro. Its FB but cheap enough to change that. I already have a program box for the Tarot ZYX gyro so that should be a good enough reason
I could just get it for something to work on. Yeah, that's it, just something to work on
But really , that's a good deal.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:18 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,604 Posts
99% complete with the 600 build. I spooled it up in my livingroom and the sound and the power of the spinning blades is unreal. I just have to replace the servo arms and re-set pitches. Blades are balanced out of the box, and tracking looks real close. I'll try to get a hover in tomorrow.

I cant wait to get the 600 off the bench, not because i want to go fly it, but because i have work to do on the v400 (new main shaft) 450 pro (new main gear) 500 (system check - the tail was doing some funny things the last time i flew it, and i installed the cnc tail pitch assembaly). With all that done, i'll have all helis flying by the new year.

(i think by saying that, i might have jinxed myself). I had my fingers crossed though.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:21 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,604 Posts
By the way, all the guys thinking about getting a bigger heli, get one. You will not regret it. Its more fun working on them and alot more fun flying them. Not so much fun paying for them, but its well worth it once you start flying it around. Ear to ear all day.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 02:58 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
By the way, all the guys thinking about getting a bigger heli, get one. You will not regret it. Its more fun working on them and alot more fun flying them. Not so much fun paying for them, but its well worth it once you start flying it around. Ear to ear all day.
now that you've got me thinking about it again, i've spent half the night researching I found the tarot 500 frames, but I could not seem to find the fbl version, so I'd need to convert it if I was going to do that.

So to turn that 450mutt into a 500, i'd need a tarot frame for about $140, three hitec HS-5245MG cyclic servos for about $130, a new motor and esc (more research needed) for about $100, a fbl head for about $50, and I'd use the rx and tail servo from my 450. So for a little over 400 bucks (closer to 500 bucks with batteries) I think I could end up with a pretty nice 500 size fbl heli. The biggest downside is that i'd have to dismantle my most used heli, the 450mutt.

The other project that I've had my eyes on instead is turning one of the 450 helis into a scale heli with retracts. I love those scale heli videos, and putting the fuselage on one of my 450s and a 4 blade head with new blades would run me about $250. I'm really torn between those two projects and which one to pick..... Eventually I'd like to have both a bigger heli, and a scale heli, but I'm not sure which comes first.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:07 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,604 Posts
A 450 scale with retracks sounds nice. But becarfull with the retract system. I hear alot about them not being easy to setup and often failing to work right. It looks like the only retract fuses there are for the the 450 is the airwolf and........ maybe the A109??? Im not sure.

With the 500, you dont have to rush to get a fbl head. I spent around $500 for my 500 that includs a complete align tt tail section ($110 w/blade grips), a really good savox tail servo ($50), and a really nice tracx fbl head ($120). Most of the electrics i got with the kit from hobby king and they've been holding up real nice. The hk kit is real affordable, and all the problems are solved and easily fixable. I have not even used the fbl head yet. I find with the fb head and the fbl rx, the heli is extra stable and smooth. I plan on pitting the tracx head on after my first major crash. And because i orderd the belt version of the kit by mistake, i have an extra belt tail section in my parts bin.

So, with the money you save you can buy another 2702v rx and keep your mutt in the air.
Last edited by kdean; Dec 31, 2011 at 05:12 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:23 AM
Joined Jan 2011
3,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberto View Post
now that you've got me thinking about it again, i've spent half the night researching I found the tarot 500 frames, but I could not seem to find the fbl version, so I'd need to convert it if I was going to do that.

So to turn that 450mutt into a 500, i'd need a tarot frame for about $140, three hitec HS-5245MG cyclic servos for about $130, a new motor and esc (more research needed) for about $100, a fbl head for about $50, and I'd use the rx and tail servo from my 450. So for a little over 400 bucks (closer to 500 bucks with batteries) I think I could end up with a pretty nice 500 size fbl heli. The biggest downside is that i'd have to dismantle my most used heli, the 450mutt.

The other project that I've had my eyes on instead is turning one of the 450 helis into a scale heli with retracts. I love those scale heli videos, and putting the fuselage on one of my 450s and a 4 blade head with new blades would run me about $250. I'm really torn between those two projects and which one to pick..... Eventually I'd like to have both a bigger heli, and a scale heli, but I'm not sure which comes first.
Okay, tell me what I'm missing? I really need all the info I can get. A lot of the time I miss the obvious. But why would you build a Hobby King heli for $400 when you can get a all Align for $470 in one box. What I'm I missing?
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:31 AM
Joined Jan 2011
3,760 Posts
Hey Kdean, Was there some issues with the tail on the HK500? If so, what was the issue? Was it something that was fixable?

Just thought of another question. I know the 450 doesn't auto rotate very good . Every time I've tried its a tip over.
Does the 500 auto rotate? I know the 600 does it very good and the 700 even better. I saw on a video a guy doing a inverted auto rotate right to the ground and flip it back over at the last second and landed.
Last edited by barnstorm100; Dec 31, 2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:00 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,604 Posts
If you can get a fbl trex 500 (tt), all cnc and cf, with all electronics for $470 get it. Thats a good deal. But i know the 3g system and head alone cost $300+.

Tail issues depend on what version you get.

The tt version and the belt version suffered from soft screws in the tail blade hub, causing the tail to throw a blade. (fix - change the screws for stronger ones)

The belt version comes with a very tight belt, often causing motor or bearing burn out. (fix - shave a couple mm of the tail boom)

The tt version had a gear mesh problem with the auto and front tt gears, it was to loose causing frequent stripping. (fix - elongate the holes in the frame that hold the tail box 1mm to the front).

All these problems have been noted for a while, and i'm sure hobby king has addresed these issues. HK has been makeing improvments to their kits as more complaints come in. All the things that were wrong with the hk600 so many years ago, were eventualy fixed, and i did not have those problems.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:14 AM
Joined Jan 2011
3,760 Posts
I wouldn't need to make it FBL right away. The 500 w/FB is about the same as a 450 FBL so I've heard. Head and gyro are $95 when I'm ready.
If that's the only problem with the tail on HK it seems small and easy to fix. I had to tighten up gear mesh on the tail drive and driven gears on Mini Titan when I was building it.