HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2011, 04:32 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
found out why I had the mid flight tail spin/crash... tail servo went out on me ah well, at least it doesn't look like any damage was done to the heli. Not bad since the tail servo went out on me about 30 feet in the air! i'd like to think it was because of my graceful crash landing skills, but i bet the 6ft tall grass i was flying over had something to do with it
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2011, 09:25 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,655 Posts
Took out the 450 w/2612v today to work out the problems. First battery I got it up and the servo pumping was worse than yesterday. I was going to fly through the battery and see if it would stop after a while but about 3min in, and 7 feet up, it threw the blades. That was a bit scary to see both blades fly off the heli and land about 20 feet away. The frame just droped and has no damage. I only lost the ball links and one of the horizontal shaft screws.

Does anyone know of or have this servo pumping, blade bouncing reaction from there gyro/servos? I did lower the seneitivity alot but the problem got worse. All this testing is getting expensive and time consumeing. I just want it to work already. Once again my v400 saved the day, and I got 4 good flights in with it. Still smooth....
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Aug 01, 2011, 11:51 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Took out the 450 w/2612v today to work out the problems. First battery I got it up and the servo pumping was worse than yesterday. I was going to fly through the battery and see if it would stop after a while but about 3min in, and 7 feet up, it threw the blades. That was a bit scary to see both blades fly off the heli and land about 20 feet away. The frame just droped and has no damage. I only lost the ball links and one of the horizontal shaft screws.

Does anyone know of or have this servo pumping, blade bouncing reaction from there gyro/servos? I did lower the seneitivity alot but the problem got worse. All this testing is getting expensive and time consumeing. I just want it to work already. Once again my v400 saved the day, and I got 4 good flights in with it. Still smooth....
holy crapoly!! blades just flying off mid-flight! and I thought outta control tail spin from up in the air was bad, but that... I had my blades go zipping past me once when I tipped on takeoff and hit the ground, but never mid flight... and can't say i've seen that servo pump you are talking about. Is it your blue arrow servos?

I bought a new align tail servo, so hopefully I won't have to worry about it giving out on me again. Also loaded up on a bunch of parts for my 450 and v400 to get them (cross fingers) both up and running at the same time and stay that way been looking around for a second v400 cause i agree that they are more dependable than the frankenhelis (for now, but we'll get there...), but xheli usually has the best deal and they have been out of stock, and i haven't seen any recent used ones up for sale. Maybe i'll ask on the other thread if anybody is ready to give up on it yet and sell it, hate to see it happen, but sometimes i don't blame people for getting out of this hobby as quick as they got in and i might as well be the one to take it off their hands and put it to good use

Oh, i did have one thought on your servo problem, only a slight possibility but worth mentioning. On the esc that I bought it had a little green toroid on it (a circle that the wire was wrapped around). I decided to leave that on because it helps keep electro magnetic interference from leaving your esc wire and affecting your rx. I wouldn't think it would have such a drastic effect if you take that toroid off, but if you do have it off it may be worth a bench test to put it on and see if that helps.
Old Aug 02, 2011, 12:40 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberto View Post
holy crapoly!! blades just flying off mid-flight! and I thought outta control tail spin from up in the air was bad, but that... I had my blades go zipping past me once when I tipped on takeoff and hit the ground, but never mid flight... and can't say i've seen that servo pump you are talking about. Is it your blue arrow servos?

I bought a new align tail servo, so hopefully I won't have to worry about it giving out on me again. Also loaded up on a bunch of parts for my 450 and v400 to get them (cross fingers) both up and running at the same time and stay that way been looking around for a second v400 cause i agree that they are more dependable than the frankenhelis (for now, but we'll get there...), but xheli usually has the best deal and they have been out of stock, and i haven't seen any recent used ones up for sale. Maybe i'll ask on the other thread if anybody is ready to give up on it yet and sell it, hate to see it happen, but sometimes i don't blame people for getting out of this hobby as quick as they got in and i might as well be the one to take it off their hands and put it to good use

Oh, i did have one thought on your servo problem, only a slight possibility but worth mentioning. On the esc that I bought it had a little green toroid on it (a circle that the wire was wrapped around). I decided to leave that on because it helps keep electro magnetic interference from leaving your esc wire and affecting your rx. I wouldn't think it would have such a drastic effect if you take that toroid off, but if you do have it off it may be worth a bench test to put it on and see if that helps.
I think Chinses Jade has the V400D BNF for a total of $200 shipped

Been flying my V400 for a couple of days now and so far so good.
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Aug 04, 2011, 07:27 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Got my new tail servo in and went out flying over that tall grass behind my house. After about 4 batteries I went into a tailspin again I had put in the blue lipo 15c battery because i ran out of my gen ace and they were charging, but about a minute into it i went into a tailspin again... this time i was too close to the ground and in a spot out there not over the 6 foot grass (see video below), so while trying to correct or at least hit the the tall grass, not having enough time to realize it was not just my clumsy fingers causing the tail spin, i didn't get the throttle hold in time and bent up the main shaft, flybar, and who knows what else pretty good. At least I should have my new parts to get the v400 back up and running soon....

Anyway, i didn't catch the tailspin on video, but in the 40 min of flight time before that, at least i got a little bit of video of my bird in the air

V450pro (walkera 2702v rx with 450pro frame) (3 min 16 sec)
Old Aug 04, 2011, 09:55 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,655 Posts
Hey dil,

sorry to hear about your unexpected landing, but can you please explain how your thumbs are to blame for and out of control spin?
Old Aug 05, 2011, 09:31 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Hey dil,

sorry to hear about your unexpected landing, but can you please explain how your thumbs are to blame for and out of control spin?
oh oops, i reread what i wrote and that sounded opposite from what I meant. The out of control spin must have been because something went wrong with the heli again. What I was trying to say was that I went into spin, and for the first second or two, i thought it was my thumbs, but turned out to be the heli. In that little bit of time I was trying to correct an impossible correction, I didn't bother with the throttle switch, and since I wasn't very high up I ended up smashing into the ground pretty good. So, my thumbs weren't necessarily to blame for the tail spin, only for the hard crash instead of a potentially softer crash
Old Aug 05, 2011, 10:34 PM
Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Tanjong Bungah
Joined Mar 2011
620 Posts
hi guys....

our v400d02 with 2614 .. can we put it in a 450 clone?

at first i think definitely impossible cause v400 using tail motor
than i look closely on the 2614 and saw there is rudder connector there
now is connected to esc that is connected to the tail motor

So the rudder connector can we use to connect to tail servo if doing 450clone project?
sam1741 is offline Find More Posts by sam1741
Old Aug 05, 2011, 10:52 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1741 View Post
hi guys....

our v400d02 with 2614 .. can we put it in a 450 clone?

at first i think definitely impossible cause v400 using tail motor
than i look closely on the 2614 and saw there is rudder connector there
now is connected to esc that is connected to the tail motor

So the rudder connector can we use to connect to tail servo if doing 450clone project?
Im not sure what the output signal is for the rudder and main throttle is on the 2614v rx, but i know its not a normal signal. To use it in a 450 project you will have to find a way to convert these signals to a normal sig that the tail servo and brushless esc could read.

I do know a guy that transfered his v400 electrics to a e-razor or blueray 450 frame. Keeping the tail motor and stock esc. Some modding was done to get the boom and stock upper frame onto the 456 frame. I posted a link on the v400 thread a while back.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 12:46 AM
Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Tanjong Bungah
Joined Mar 2011
620 Posts
thanks for the info kdean
i will search for the thread..
sam1741 is offline Find More Posts by sam1741
Old Aug 06, 2011, 01:06 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1741 View Post
thanks for the info kdean
i will search for the thread..
here is the youtube link to the 450 frame he put the V400 electrics in..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaRzi...&feature=feedu
Old Aug 07, 2011, 02:04 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,655 Posts
Im so frustrated with these things right now. I just spent the last 2 hours fixing the fb head and swaping the blade grips back over to use in the 450 pro with the 2612v. The same heli that threw the blades last flight. I figure the servos cant handel the direct connection to the blades with the fbl head, causing the oscilation and bouncing of the blades. So, with the flybarr they should have enough links to cancel this problem. Everything was working fine as i dud the mechanical setup and set pitches and all that. Then, after putting the blades on for the final test, turning the gyro back to the work position, and the aileron servo stops working. It only goes down and stays there. What a waste of time.

Why cant companies make stuff the last anymore. These servos only had one flight on them and it was not even a full flight, just test hovering until the blades flew off.

Now, i have to wait 2 weeks before i can fly or even test any of my 450 projects. And now i have the task of finding better servos, and spending the money to hopefully get something thats worth while.

At least i have my v400 to fly at the field tomorrow, but now i have to do the mechanical set-up on that. I want to get inverted tomorrow, i've put in alot of sim time, and it time for "the real thing" practice.

Anyway, 3 in the morning and back to the bench.....
Old Aug 07, 2011, 08:44 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
I hear ya, i've had outta control tail spin a few times now and it's getting old quick. I'm thinking my new approach, make the rx think it's as close to a walkera v450 as possible. I have my fbl head on the way, and i'll put the same cyclic servos that work in my 400 and see if that gets me a few good flights. So far I've had some great flights in, but this helicopter doesn't seem to want to last long enough for me to even crash it respectfully... but I have my v400 just about up and running again
Old Aug 07, 2011, 09:08 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,655 Posts
Hey dilberto,

here are a couple things you might want to look at.

1. Centering the tail servo, then adjusting the rod so that the tail blades have no pitch either way. When i first started flying my exi pro, i did not, i thought i did, set up my tail servo correctly. The pitch was off about 5 to the left, and the gyro could not center properly. It caused a huge, almost out of control tail wag. So, double check your tail set up.

2. My exi pro also came with a poorly put together tail pitch slider. It would stick at both ends, and would take some force to get moveing again. If your pitch slider is sticking it would cause your tail to get stuck going in one direction. It was not until i felt how smooth and free the tarot pitch slider moved that i knew something was wrong.

Other than that the only other thing i can think about is vibration. It is known to throw a gyro out of wack. Im not sure how you mounted your rx, but i used the two pieces that came out of the blade holder and stuck it to the boom holder to extend the area for the rx to sit. It is a foam like material and should absorb some bad vibes.

Try running the heli without any blades and watch the tail servo for any abnormal movement.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 08:37 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
hey kdean,
Thanks for the input, i'll look into those things as soon as I get it back to a semi working state. The main shaft is bent quite a bit and I spent the time I had this weekend on my v400 instead. I only need to put the servos back in and set it up, then it should be ready to go! I had to replace the frame and straighten a few other things, similar to what it sounds like you're going to have to do on your #1.

That thing about the tail pitch slider you mentioned, you might be on to something here with what is wrong with mine. It's basically impossible for me to have the tail servo hold the tail blades at 0 pitch, because there is so much play in that slider that they easily wiggle from -3 to +3 pitch, and probably more than that. That seemed like too much wiggle room to me, and it sounds like the other brand you bought is a much better fit. Maybe i'll have to cough up the 25 bucks for the align tail slider, could very well have caused a massive tail wag too close to the ground that i figured was tail spin again... The last time i had crashed, my tail servo was completely unresponsive, but I haven't checked this servo yet since this crash. I get the feeling it wasn't the servo though, being the align one, so i'll look into the other stuff once I get it back in shape.