HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:23 AM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,958 Posts
I've seen it before, and it's just too distracting to fly at the same time. Regardless of the health aspect, smoking while flying is just asking for trouble.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:42 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,133 Posts
Its been a while ! but i have still been flying the nano. got the new dx8 for it but still using 2801 for v450 and 600. please enjoy.

align trex 600 pro 3d feb 21 2013 (5 min 53 sec)

walkera v450d01 3d feb 21 2013 (5 min 37 sec)
Heli Biggie is online now Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:20 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Its been a while ! but i have still been flying the nano. got the new dx8 for it but still using 2801 for v450 and 600. please enjoy.

http://youtu.be/OFTiOlVf96U

http://youtu.be/Jni-yEyZBTs
Great flying there!! You're getting really really good!

I can't wait to get back out and fly, though i surely won't be doing any of that, and probably won't even take it inverted for a while. I definitely took a few steps back.... but it's still fun
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:56 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,133 Posts
Thanks dil. I hope you are enjoying ur new place still.i think the nano being so good in a crash that i can try the new stuff. It still takes alot of balls to do things on the bigger helis,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberto View Post
Great flying there!! You're getting really really good!

I can't wait to get back out and fly, though i surely won't be doing any of that, and probably won't even take it inverted for a while. I definitely took a few steps back.... but it's still fun
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:19 PM
devIAtion..one TX to bind them
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Aug 2011
1,093 Posts
If you picked up a devo 8s insted of the dx8 you could fly the nano, the 2801 rx's and devo rx's on the same tx with the custom firmware...
Hexperience is offline Find More Posts by Hexperience
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:19 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,776 Posts
[QUOTE=Heli Biggie;24207183]Its been a while ! but i have still been flying the nano. got the new dx8 for it but still using 2801 for v450 and 600. please enjoy.

I predicted right. Spektrum. It pays to have new batteries in my crystal ball.
Yeah, you are getting good.

I was able to do a inverted partial circle with my 300x.
After watching you, I realized I need to try stuff up higher
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Last edited by barnstorm100; Feb 23, 2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:53 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,789 Posts
I've had 133 flights with the V450BX. The micro beast with the 2801 has not had a single glitch. If anything slow cyclic and pitch response is a result of my jittery Savox 0257 servos. But over all it's been flying great! Once i get some new servos it should be even better. Here is flight 130. Check my youtube for the rest.

V450BX - Ripping 3D @ Sundown - 02-23-13 (4 min 5 sec)

Here is a pretty cool shot of a rainbow while i flew one of my last two packs on the X5. My battery cut out on the camera on the last pack of the day. Which was not this flight, but the next one.

Gaui X5 - Flight 231 - 3D next to a rainbow (5 min 34 sec)

See more recent flights on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/IntegrityRC

My camera's zoom broke so i can't use any zoom at all now, which kind of sucks. Oh well.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:05 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,789 Posts
I can't remember if i posted about my 4f200 mods in this thread or the vclone thread, so i'm posting this in both. This is an update on the flight capability and mods put into my 4f200. Also the latest video of the X5.

4F200C - Two Blade Tail Test Flight #5 (3 min 59 sec)

4F200C Two Blade Tail Test Flight #6 (3 min 49 sec)

4F200C - Two Blade Tail Test Flight #7 - CRASH! (3 min 13 sec)

Gaui X5 - Flight 241 - A few Tick tocks (6 min 12 sec)
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:09 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,776 Posts
Sure like your 4f200. Your flying great.
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:27 AM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,133 Posts
Someone did this in another forum and then i found where my kodak program lets me do it, pic from video, even zooming in, this is gonna be fun

Still very windy,
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:30 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Someone did this in another forum and then i found where my kodak program lets me do it, pic from video, even zooming in, this is gonna be fun

Still very windy,
I use a program called Fraps. It has a free trial version, but i think you need to buy the full version after 30 days or something. But Fraps allows me to record video and video game type footage. So it works in Phoenix Simulator to record flights to actual video, instead of a render log that Phoenix uses to replay flights. It also works in youtube, or media player so you can record youtube videos to your PC or take screen shots individually too.

The winds have died out here a little bit. Gusting only to about 25, instead of the 38 mph it was yesterday! I'm going to go give it a shot now i think. The V450BX and 4f200C are out of commission though. All i have right now is my X5. I need a whole new set of servos for the V450 and a new TT gear for the 4f200C, since i converted it to the TT tail from the V200D03. At least this way, i know for sure when i hit my tail or something that the gears are damaged. Unlike the old belt, that would take some damage but not show any signs. Then snap in the air while flying.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:25 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Those are some nice pics HB, pretty good quality coming from a video!
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:30 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
Sure like your 4f200. Your flying great.
I just switched out the 3 blade rotor for the V200 two blade rotor. It's basically a V200D03 now, but with a 2702V RX and MKS servos.

I just did it tonight, so tomorrow i will go give it a test flight at the park. I assume it will perform 3D better, be quieter and probably feel lighter, like it has more power. We'll see what happens. I'm sure i'll have video.

I would have liked to keep the 3 blade head. But it flies so different and you really have to push the pitch stick over to get a flip around. It stalls on blades edge, If it flies better for 3D like this that would be cool. But with the 2702V i am not holding my breath. It's a fairly stable gyro and all. But it just doesn't ever feel as locked down and tight as the BeastX. It's just a bit less "tuned in" and does not handle the wind very good. I think the high winds have died down for now though.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:41 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I just switched out the 3 blade rotor for the V200 two blade rotor. It's basically a V200D03 now, but with a 2702V RX and MKS servos.

I just did it tonight, so tomorrow i will go give it a test flight at the park. I assume it will perform 3D better, be quieter and probably feel lighter, like it has more power. We'll see what happens. I'm sure i'll have video.

I would have liked to keep the 3 blade head. But it flies so different and you really have to push the pitch stick over to get a flip around. It stalls on blades edge, If it flies better for 3D like this that would be cool. But with the 2702V i am not holding my breath. It's a fairly stable gyro and all. But it just doesn't ever feel as locked down and tight as the BeastX. It's just a bit less "tuned in" and does not handle the wind very good. I think the high winds have died down for now though.
That's interesting, so do you think the three blades are just for looks as opposed to function?
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:46 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberto View Post
That's interesting, so do you think the three blades are just for looks as opposed to function?
Not exactly. As you add blades, you also add lift capability. Which is why scale helicopters utilize 4 and 5 blade rotors often. Especially on cargo type helicopters or high payload war birds. More blades would be good for Scale helicopters. You can increase the payload carrying ability. Which is not a bad thing since most scale helis have a heavy FRP fuse. Each additional blade adds to the maximum amount of lift and how much air is actually moving though the rotor. But it comes with a consequence. Additional drag and stress on the power system. Especially being noticed the more aggressively you change pitch. On a real helicopter, the throttle and pitch usually kind of look like a car's emergency brake with a motorcycle type grip throttle on it. This is actually so you can collectively control the throttle and pitch. On a real helicopter you would set your head speed and pitch, and not change it very much until you needed to change altitude or land. In the case of "3D Helicopters" the two blade rotor is optimal because we are doing such heavy pitch changes to perform those tricks. There is also gyroscopic forces to fight. Adding blades adds weight to the over all rotor disc. The easiest way to explain it is to think about those little toy gyros when you were a kid. You know, you pull the string and the wheel spins. The gyroscopic force would allow it to stand up and spin on a nail point. The way the gyro wheel is designed is with all of the weight on the outside ring on the wheel. If you were to try to tip the gyro it would resist. The wider you spread the weight, the more stable and more the gyroscopic force will resist tipping. If you move the weight into the center more, the gyro will tip more easily. Now, on our heli rotors. The weight is distributed fairly evenly along the blade. Each blade counter balancing and creating a gyroscopic element. The reason it can still flip so easily is because you can shift the pitch of the blade to force the air in any direction you like. Thus forcing the rotor disk around. But the resistance to tipping over still exists and is amplified the more blades you add. Also there is drag effect. Similar to when you stick your hand out the window of a moving car and open your hand wide. The open hand and palm will drag and be pushed back. Ball it up and it darts though the air. This same effect is happening on the top and bottom of the rotor during a flip. If the wind is pushing the top of the rotor in a back flip. The more blades there are, the more that wind can grab it and push it back, resisting your servo inputs and making you push harder to get the rotor around.

More blades will flip slower than less blades. It will also require more collective input to kick the rotor around. Thus, it will also consume more energy. For instance, with the wind blowing at my back. If i was in tail in orientation and attempted a back flip. Once the rotor is on blades edge, with the wind blowing flat at the top of the rotor. The heli will want to stall on blades edge. You have to kick in the negative pitch to force it to flip the rest of the way around. Otherwise it will just stall there and start falling down. With a two blade rotor. All that may be needed is to move the collective to neutral and pull your cyclic stick back rapidly. If your cyclic range is great enough, it shouldn't require much pitch input till it's actually inverted. Then you use pitch just to keep it floating..

Hopefully that makes any sense at all. I am not an engineer or anything. This is just how i observe and interpret what is happening.

It is all for nothing though. Today i had it at the field and it was feeling a little squirly. The winds were picking up too. I am not sure if the wind had an effect and down drafted me or what. But for whatever reason, on the two blade maiden flight. I got pushed to the ground, slapped the tail, destoryed the torque tube gears AGAIN! I just installed those last night!! damn this heli to hell!!!!

Anyway, from my past experiences with the 4f200's tail belt breaking mid flight. I have found that when you loose the tail on a heli this small. It's best to get about 10 feet altitude and cut the throttle up there. Because there is not a lot of friction in my heli's drive train. The rotor takes a while to spin down. So plopping out of the sky from 10-15 feet while with the rotor not spinning usually will result in almost no damage to the heli. Maybe a broken set of skids or something. This time, i guess the rotor wouldn't slow down fast enough and the ball link on the main rotor blade grip snapped off inside the blade grip screw whole. TYPICAL! I am using the Master CP plastic blades and they didn't break. Which leads me to believe that the ball link was over torqued going in at the factory (which is VERY common with walkera stuff, especially CNC swashplates and blade grips.) I really think a lot of my problem is that i keep expecting the walkera gyro to fly more stable than it does. They just are not very good. So i can't decide if i should just sell this thing and cut my losses or go ahead with putting a BeastX on it. The beastX might make it fly exceptionally well. But i don't know if it's worth putting up with these mechanical issues or not. I think i'm going to aim at getting a Gaui X2 and be done with it.

Video on the crash later. You might want to be prepared for some expletives and walkera bashing rhetoric mixed with more expletives.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Mar 05, 2013 at 07:51 PM.