HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:25 AM
Joined Jun 2008
470 Posts
Hehe! Hey Integrity..I know how you love to hate Walkera..check this out

http://www.walkera.com/en1/particular.jsp?pn=X2

Although its been advertised for a while I don't think they've actually released it so you're safe!
fishfiend is offline Find More Posts by fishfiend
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:13 AM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiend View Post

Although its been advertised for a while I don't think they've actually released it so you're safe!
OOH, three blade, coaxial, collective pitch with a pusher prop! This is too much! Really, they are probably going to want a small fortune for it!

Too bad they couldn't get rid of those bulky swash followers and implement some sort of DFC.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:46 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
hehe y would u spend on 4 blades on co ax if u have an awesome good looking fancy fbl integrity.....? =p
It's all about the fast forward speed. A 450 is only capable of about 45-50mph in self sustained forward speed. Most of that has to be in a partial dive motion. If they can make a coaxial cruise level and steadily sustained speeds above 50 mph and do loops and roll. Yeah, i want it. But no one has made one like this yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiend View Post

Yeah, that thing is going to be overpriced! One of those "deluxe" blade grips will cost about $32 EACH. So i can promise you a retail cost of $500-700 on that thing. Just like the "Airwolf" 200SD3 and 200SD5 were. It uses very similar blade grips. If you think that is expensive. Wait till you see how much their new 450 airwolf thing costs. I think each blade grip is around $60 each. At least they added a big ass heat sink to that train wreck they call a 40A ESC. Since it will now be inside an fuse enclosure and it already ran near 200 in the summer before having a heat sink. Still the same servos and everything though. So i feel sorry for who ever ends up having a electronics failure in the middle of the summer while flying that big expensive mess.

This Walkera helicopter is actually based on the Sikorsky X-2. The supposedly fastest moving helicopter in the world, they claim. Piloted by a single pilot. Though i don't think it's acrobatic at all. Having a rear prop means they have not came close to the ability of the Kamov system. Though on the REAL scale model X-2 the tail rotor is not needed to fly forward, it's just for added speed. So the main rotor might be as good or better than the Kamov system. It's also probably not capable of loops and rolls. I really don't know. I would think this was designed to be a transport and recon helicopter. Not a combat heli. But i wouldn't doubt if walkera's model requires a rear prop to push it along all the time. Makes me wonder though. It's also probably not very fast. I would also wonder how well it actually handles wind. It does look like the Walkera X-2 might actually have a double swash plated main prop though. It might be a cool heli to have for $300 or something. But they will want much more. I know Walkera's scale models pretty well. I honestly think Walkera does better at scale models, if not overpriced, they are nice. They should just stop making "3d helicopters". At least the bigger sizes and make their Scale models affordable. I think they would have a big response. They just don't make the electronics good enough to handle 3D rigor. But on scale flight, it's not so bad. If they were affordable, i'm sure many people would like to have a 450 size airwolf or 200 size even. But not for the over $600 they were asking just for the 200 sizes.

Sikorsky demonstrates new X-2 helicopter HD version (1 min 33 sec)
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:53 PM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
281 Posts
That X2 real helicopter is really a piece of crap! They have been trying to put pusher props out there since 1956. Plus the coaxial's on aircraft to lift off vertical, I saw that back in 1950. It didn't work!

I will get a link of the plane I was just talking about & post it here. My Father worked on some of these planes at "Air Research" Company in California & I was brought there many times to views these planes.
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:02 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
To be honest, i was fast and lazy myself. I didn't open mine up and remove any of the excess wires or anything. I need to revisit my power supply and check that it did in fact split the 12v rail along all the wires and plugs that needed it. Because if it's not, and it's more like the power supply in this video i posted, i'm probably not getting the full wattage/amperage out of the power supply and i'm probably stressing the one rail i am using. It probably has at least 2 or 3 12v rails, i was just in a hurry so i never tied all the lines together and all that mess. It worked and so far has not given any errors with the charger so I'm probably okay how it is now. After all it is a 400 watt PSU pushing a 200 watt charger. If anything i can probably run a whole second charger on one of the other rails. But, all i did was literally just cut the wires i needed at the wire harness. Picked a black wire and stripped it, then cut and stripped the green wire. I then soldered them together. After that i went and took a 12V wire plug for a hard drive or some such thing. Cut off the appropriate wires, yellow and black, if i remember correctly. Then i soldered female 4mm bullet connectors on there to accept my chargers input plugs.

While charging 2 6S packs at the same time on my charger, my power supply started making funny noises. I went ahead and tried to put a 3rd one in the mix on a separate charging port. The max output this charger will give for a 6S pack is 2A, so 3 packs is 6A. It should be able to charge 4 of them but the max output for the charger is 6A. So i should be able to charge 4 packs at 1.5A each. However the charger gets a input voltage error when i start the 3rd pack. I think since it's a 12V power source and the charger is charging the packs at 25.2V each. The power supply is not able to keep up with the high voltage demands of the charger? I am unsure. But this seems to be the case.

Just to be sure i was getting the full 400 watts out of my PSU (for my 200w max charger), i went ahead and paralleled all of the 12V wires and gave the power less resistance by adding additional wires to the positive and negative connections, thus also connecting any other 12V rails in para also. They no longer get warm when charging. But the charger is still not capable of charging the 3rd pack without giving a input voltage error. However when i plug it in to my car battery & 1 farad capacitor for my stereo. It seems to charge 3 packs no problem at all. But it will drain my car battery dead in just a short 15 minutes or so if i don't leave the car running. I think i may have to get a 12v pb battery and use it in line between my PSU and charger as a buffer? Not sure what else to do besides get another PSU and maybe try to run them in parallel together. I think the 2nd PSU should pick up the slack of the first? Otherwise i'll just have to use two chargers for my 6S packs. I have my 4th 6S pack on it's way. I was pretty sure i would be able to charge 4 6S packs @ 1.5A each with no problems. It would take more time to charge each pack individually. But it would still be much faster than trying to para charge packs or charging one at a time. If anyone has any further info on this, my ohms law is very, very rusty and i don't know what else to try. Buying a expensive PSU is out of the question right now.

Still doing things the lazy way. Good thing too, because if i did all the extra work and it still didn't work i would have been sooo angry. lol. Lucky for me this only took 10 minutes to do and it accomplished nothing

Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:43 AM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
281 Posts
You need a 24 volt supply to charge your 6 cell in series batteries, so either run two 12 volt batteries hooked in series, or when you can afford it, buy a 24 volt PSU.

The only other way I know of charging them is through the balance connector & you would need to make it selective so it only charges 3 cells at any one time, then connect to the other 3 cells after the first 3 are finished. Problem is the wires are too thin to take 4300 Mah, I think they are 26 Awg which is ok up to maybe 2 Amps.

So, how were you charging them before with a 12 volt supply? Does your charger step up the voltage to 24 volts? It must be, I don't have my charger's documentation in front of me, but I am sure it says it will do a single 6 cell battery at a max of 50 Watts but it warns not to try & charge more than one battery at a time.

If you took "VA" 12 volts X 4.4 Amps = 52.8 Watts but 24 volts X 4.4 Amps = 105.6 Watts So if you have a 200 Watt supply & are charging two 4400 Mah batteries in parallel that would max out your PSU @ 211.2 Watts I think....

Yeah it checked out the figures are correct, I would suggest charging two in parallel @ 2200 Mah & when it is finished charge them a 2nd time @ the same rate. Or charge one at a time, or a bigger PSU.
Last edited by iflyhelis; Dec 14, 2012 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Checked Watt calculator
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:14 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
You need a 24 volt supply to charge your 6 cell in series batteries, so either run two 12 volt batteries hooked in series, or when you can afford it, buy a 24 volt PSU.

The only other way I know of charging them is through the balance connector & you would need to make it selective so it only charges 3 cells at any one time, then connect to the other 3 cells after the first 3 are finished. Problem is the wires are too thin to take 4300 Mah, I think they are 26 Awg which is ok up to maybe 2 Amps.

So, how were you charging them before with a 12 volt supply? Does your charger step up the voltage to 24 volts? It must be, I don't have my charger's documentation in front of me, but I am sure it says it will do a single 6 cell battery at a max of 50 Watts but it warns not to try & charge more than one battery at a time.

If you took "VA" 12 volts X 4.4 Amps = 52.8 Watts but 24 volts X 4.4 Amps = 105.6 Watts So if you have a 200 Watt supply & are charging two 4400 Mah batteries in parallel that would max out your PSU @ 211.2 Watts I think....

Yeah it checked out the figures are correct, I would suggest charging two in parallel @ 2200 Mah & when it is finished charge them a 2nd time @ the same rate. Or charge one at a time, or a bigger PSU.
The Charger only accepts 12-16V or something like that. Actually he PSU is a 400w and the charger is a 200w. Supposedly the charger has a MAX output of 6A. I have always charged 2 6S packs on this charger at 2A each. Then i even had room to charge a 3S pack at 2A. It charged with no issues. But when adding the 3rd 6S pack in place of the 3S pack, again only charging at 2A, it simply would say "input voltage error" and turn that 3rd port to idle again. I suppose my PSU could be going bad too. Since i was apparently straining it by not using the full output of the PSU. The problem is, I can turn the 6S charge setting up to 6A if i want. But it will only charge at a max of 2.2A for the 6S packs. So if i para charged 2 of them at 2.2A it would take all damn day. Thats like charging 8 Ah at 2.2A. Whats that going to be? Like 4 hours or something for two packs? Which is way longer than it takes me to charge 3 packs now. About 85 minutes a pack, and i can do 2 packs at once, apparently as my MAX, unless i plug the charger into my car and keep the car running. That's still only 14-15V Max coming out of my car, the giant 1 farad capacitor in my car probably helps keep the power flowing pretty well. Because in that situation i can charge 3 packs at 2.0A in around 80-90 minutes. So para charging is just out of the question. It's starting to look like the NEW version of this Turnigy charger, the one i don't have, is a 400W charger and it probably addresses this problem better. I don't know why the input voltage gets stepped up instead of using a higher voltage PSU. Probably so that you can plug it into your car, DUH. Still, why would they call it a 4 x 6S charger if it's not capable of charging 4 6S packs on a 400w PSU. My PSU must be going bad. I bet there is no problems if i put that 1 farad capacitor in the line with the PSU
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:18 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,174 Posts
how low can i go

i back!!!!!
align trex 600 pro 3d dec 14 2012 2 (4 min 39 sec)

align trex 600 pro 3d dec 14 2012 (3 min 48 sec)

align trex 600 pro 3d getting low (0 min 0 sec)

the 450 is also getting lower!

walkera v450d01 3d getting low (4 min 29 sec)
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:39 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Nice! you'll be ready to cut the grass soon
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:40 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Lucky for me this only took 10 minutes to do and it accomplished nothing
Lol, i know the feeling
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:39 PM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
281 Posts
I think I was barking in the dark Integrity, 400 Watts! Wow you shouldn't have that problem. I was also thinking that the PSU maybe 400 Watts (AC) not (DC) Look at your voltage chart on the PSU & see what it says for total Watts at 12 Volts DC, or total Amperage at that voltage.

You may be surprised, it might say it only puts out 10 Amps @ 12 Volts....
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:36 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
I think I was barking in the dark Integrity, 400 Watts! Wow you shouldn't have that problem. I was also thinking that the PSU maybe 400 Watts (AC) not (DC) Look at your voltage chart on the PSU & see what it says for total Watts at 12 Volts DC, or total Amperage at that voltage.

You may be surprised, it might say it only puts out 10 Amps @ 12 Volts....
LOL, i about stalled my car out today with 3 of them on the charger and the AC running. It's just LOTS of draw. My capacitor in my car has a voltage readout on it. At one point it was running at 11.4v till i turned the AC off. Yes, with the humidity and sun out. It got hot enough today for AC. Anyway. After turning off the AC. Then it climbed back up to 12.6v, PHEW. Seriously, It can't be good for my car! lol. I think i'll just have to get more 6S packs then i expected and skip field charging all together. Because this is just too much stress on my car and my PSU. If anything is preventing me from getting a 700 size or anything bigger than my X5, it's the cost and maintenance/charging of batteries. Just think. 12S i would be dealing with this same mess, but i would need two packs per flight! UGH! I think i'll just keep buying packs and do 90% of my charging the night before. The 3S packs can be field charged quick as hell. I think i can do about 6 2200 mAh packs in about an hour. Because, for whatever reason, the charger will charge 4.4A on 3S, but not 6S. Otherwise i could be charging these 6S 4000mAh packs at 1C instead of the normal 0.5C that i have been restricted to. It's kind of frustrating that it's not capable of 4A charging at least ONE 6S pack at a time. I think the normal 6S pack size for 600+ size helis is about 3200-4000 per pack. Usually 2X for 12S setups. I might order the new Turnigy 4 x 6S 400w charger and hope they addressed these issues. Otherwise it's basically a REALLY nice 1S, 2S, & 3S charger. But it's not so great for 6S. Which is very misleading based on the "4x6S" labeling. I suppose if you were only charging 2200 mAh 6S packs TOPS this would be a great charger for you. It should work pretty good when i get a 480 Devil though. That only uses like 1800 mAh 6S packs, and that might be a little big. Something like that though.

Y-V450D01C - It's back, the yellow V450 soars! (5 min 15 sec)

Y-V450D01C - Low 3D & Hurricane practice (4 min 57 sec)

Y-V450D01C - HURRICANES, YUP! (4 min 54 sec)
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:20 AM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,174 Posts
http://heli-heli.com/items/electroni...ger-detail.htm

It has beeen great , i have a 350watt. Power supply and if things get crazy i can get more power, but i believe its the last charger i will have to buy. It charges 2 6 cell 3300mah batteries in 20 minutes!

Quote:
LOL, i about stalled my car out today with 3 of them on the charger and the AC running. It's just LOTS of draw. My capacitor in my car has a voltage readout on it. At one point it was running at 11.4v till i turned the AC off. Yes, with the humidity and sun out. It got hot enough today for AC. Anyway. After turning off the AC. Then it climbed back up to 12.6v, PHEW. Seriously, It can't be good for my car! lol. I think i'll just have to get more 6S packs then i expected and skip field charging all together. Because this is just too much stress on my car and my PSU. If anything is preventing me from getting a 700 size or anything bigger than my X5, it's the cost and maintenance/charging of batteries. Just think. 12S i would be dealing with this same mess, but i would need two packs per flight! UGH! I think i'll just keep buying packs and do 90% of my charging the night before. The 3S packs can be field charged quick as hell. I think i can do about 6 2200 mAh packs in about an hour. Because, for whatever reason, the charger will charge 4.4A on 3S, but not 6S. Otherwise i could be charging these 6S 4000mAh packs at 1C instead of the normal 0.5C that i have been restricted to. It's kind of frustrating that it's not capable of 4A charging at least ONE 6S pack at a time. I think the normal 6S pack size for 600+ size helis is about 3200-4000 per pack. Usually 2X for 12S setups. I might order the new Turnigy 4 x 6S 400w charger and hope they addressed these issues. Otherwise it's basically a REALLY nice 1S, 2S, & 3S charger. But it's not so great for 6S. Which is very misleading based on the "4x6S" labeling. I suppose if you were only charging 2200 mAh 6S packs TOPS this would be a great charger for you. It should work pretty good when i get a 480 Devil though. That only uses like 1800 mAh 6S packs, and that might be a little big. Something like that though.

http://youtu.be/ABc9VrhjrQU

http://youtu.be/GuBm2jYbzG8

http://youtu.be/82aL3G29TPM
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:25 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
http://heli-heli.com/items/electroni...ger-detail.htm

It has beeen great , i have a 350watt. Power supply and if things get crazy i can get more power, but i believe its the last charger i will have to buy. It charges 2 6 cell 3300mah batteries in 20 minutes!
I'm sure you know... But you need to have batteries MADE to accept charging that fast. I'm still of the opinion that rapid charging your batteries, even if they are made for 5C charging, it still degrades them faster. Maybe they just don't degrade as fast as a 1C battery. But i still think it takes some life away slowly by charing them rapidly all the time.

Like i said, i'd be happy at 1C. It would be nice if they made a higher wattage version of my charger because i often have to charge 1S, 2S, 3S and 6S packs all at the same time. The newest version of my charger is 400w instead of 200w. But i have no idea if it's able to charge 4A per port now or not. Having multiple ports is cheaper than multiple chargers when you need to charge 5-6 packs for all your helicopters, in different cell counts. It's just not working out for the 6S. So it looks like i'm stuck buying another charger.

The thing that sucks is i don't have anyone i can ask about the functionality of the new version of my charger. The one you bought is too expensive. If i could afford $200 on anything right now it would be a BeastX for my V450, i think. I honestly don't want to para charge my 6S packs with a charger like that. Thats too dangerous after all the problems i've had doing it with 3S. These packs are too expensive to risk it. I've had 3S packs turn the battery leads bright red and melt the jacket and everything. If i didn't cut the power i might have had a burst lipo. I've also had my balance plugs on my para balancer boards melt out and short the charger plugs on the battery. Scary stuff when it happens to a $10-15 3S pack. But when it's a $50-100 6S pack, i just can't afford to risk that anymore. So i would probably only feel safe charging 1 pack at a time with your charger. Which probably still loads a pack faster than mine does at 0.5C
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:58 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,174 Posts
I wish my 3cell blue lipos would charge at a faster rate. But my 6 cells are ok. I pump 13 amps into 2 3300 mah.

Quote:
I'm sure you know... But you need to have batteries MADE to accept charging that fast. I'm still of the opinion that rapid charging your batteries, even if they are made for 5C charging, it still degrades them faster. Maybe they just don't degrade as fast as a 1C battery. But i still think it takes some life away slowly by charing them rapidly all the time.

Like i said, i'd be happy at 1C. It would be nice if they made a higher wattage version of my charger because i often have to charge 1S, 2S, 3S and 6S packs all at the same time. The newest version of my charger is 400w instead of 200w. But i have no idea if it's able to charge 4A per port now or not. Having multiple ports is cheaper than multiple chargers when you need to charge 5-6 packs for all your helicopters, in different cell counts. It's just not working out for the 6S. So it looks like i'm stuck buying another charger.

The thing that sucks is i don't have anyone i can ask about the functionality of the new version of my charger. The one you bought is too expensive. If i could afford $200 on anything right now it would be a BeastX for my V450, i think. I honestly don't want to para charge my 6S packs with a charger like that. Thats too dangerous after all the problems i've had doing it with 3S. These packs are too expensive to risk it. I've had 3S packs turn the battery leads bright red and melt the jacket and everything. If i didn't cut the power i might have had a burst lipo. I've also had my balance plugs on my para balancer boards melt out and short the charger plugs on the battery. Scary stuff when it happens to a $10-15 3S pack. But when it's a $50-100 6S pack, i just can't afford to risk that anymore. So i would probably only feel safe charging 1 pack at a time with your charger. Which probably still loads a pack faster than mine does at 0.5C