HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2011, 01:04 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jul 2011
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Thats right, setting the throttle limit by turning on the tx, puttuin the throttle/pitch stick to full (set throttle curve in tx from 0 - 100% before starting this procedure), then pluging in the batt to the esc (connected to rx). This is also the way to enter programing mode. With the 2603 tx you have to do a little trick to get this to work. It was posted some time ago on the V400 thread when we first started putting together are own brushless systems.
right. Now I think I remember. bind the heli without the brushless esc connected. then plug the brushless esc. See if that works.
dgibbons is offline Find More Posts by dgibbons
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2011, 01:15 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,604 Posts
Yeah, but you have to get power to the rx some how. I think you use the stock esc in some way to get the power to the rx but leave the throttle ch open to put the brushless esc once everything else is binded.

Wait im getting confused, this is not the v400 thread.

Do you have a spare esc? If so you can put that in any other input to get power to the rx, bind tx, then connect esc to throttle out....

Or something like that, i think, maybe...
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Sep 18, 2011, 02:50 PM
Joined Jul 2011
570 Posts
Sorry about that. I am also thinking brushless conversion v400.

R u using the 2801 rx? I did this on the 2702 rx. Try plugging into throttle 2 instead of throttle 1 w/your esc to see if you can set your throttle limit. I may have missed the electronics u r using.
Let us know if that works.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 03:20 PM
Joined Jul 2011
570 Posts
Here's a pic of the adjustments made to the tail. I adjusted the travel on the tail servo again & all seems good. Plan to run a few more batt's through it again this afternoon.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:12 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,604 Posts
Flight Day De-briefing

Blade 400 3D - Still suffering tail wag. I've checked every thing and tried alot of things. The only things left to try are, change hole on rudder servo arm to one closer to the center. If that does not do it then I'll need to order a faster servo built for gyro use.

V400D02 - Once again i'm getting the throttle pumping from either the esc or signal convertor. I was trying the 25a dynam esc with the brand new alpha 400 motor. I did the bigger motor leads soldered to the sig conv, and it was working on the bench with the blades off. But, once i got out to the field, it would just sputter and never get any kind of correct throttle response. I'm gunna put the exceed 40a esc from the v400 #1 that also uses a alpha 400 and is known to work. If the problem persists, then i know its the sig conv.

450pro fb - the 2702v is working perfectly. The hitec 5055s are my fave servos ever... They really add life to the heli, even with the flybar. The walkera 09 08 or 09 09 servos never were as responsive as i liked. Was able to get 3 flights with it, doing mostly rx and gyro setting. Punch outs, piros, and some backward flying. I also got some fff in just to satisfy my need for speed. Spooling up for the forth flight, the pinion came lose and i got that high pitch squeel from the shaft spinning inside the pinion. Have to take the motor out and check to make sure everything is ok, and loc tight everything back together.

No crashes, but still have things to fix. There will be more flights next week for sure. Maybe, i'll take the 500 and get that flying.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:39 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Aug 2011
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Thats right, setting the throttle limit by turning on the tx, puttuin the throttle/pitch stick to full (set throttle curve in tx from 0 - 100% before starting this procedure), then pluging in the batt to the esc (connected to rx). This is also the way to enter programing mode. With the 2603 tx you have to do a little trick to get this to work. It was posted some time ago on the V400 thread when we first started putting together are own brushless systems.
Thanks guys. I'll give this a try. I think the instructions said something about this but nothing about the throttle curve. I'll report backas soon as i find out.
SteelHeadz is offline Find More Posts by SteelHeadz
Old Sep 18, 2011, 09:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
512 Posts
That didn't work. BTW Kdean, you were correct on the beep. It is coming from the motor not the esc. I guess its my directional hearing listening to the wife. Anywho, i went to the V400 thread like you mentioned and started reading up about the brushless conversion. This one caught my attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
I would upload the code when I got home tonight. That would be outputting standard 20ms cycle.

You need an AVR programmer, the AVR chip plus one or two pairs of servo connectors (1 pair for the main ESC and another for the tail ESC/servo if you want to do both.)

RX2614V ----- signal converter ---- brushless main ESC and optional tail servo or brushless ESC

And you would need another connector to wire 2V to the battery check input of the RX, assuming you drop the stock ESC completely. You may derive the 2V from battery to use it as a brownout check. If you derive it from the BEC, you won't have the brownout check function.
Maybe i failed to mention how i'm hooking up all these electronics together and is causing confusion as to why im having so much issues. I'm currently using a spare rx2614V. I plugged in the Exceed proton 40amp brusless esc to the "THRO" socket on the rx, turnigy 3500kv motor to the brusless esc and the 2650 blue lipo 30c for the esc power input. The TX im currently using is the WK2603. Does this ring a bell with the quote from Wasp09? or is there something else?. If i do infact need a signal converter, what model and specifications would i need?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:04 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Hey Steelheadz, I recognize that post there. There is a signal converter that you can buy mentioned around page 55 or 60 by kdean and a few others that I had been referencing when I was switching to brushless.

One thing about the 2614 (and v400) is that it seems to be set up for only a brushed motor esc. I had tried plugging my brushless esc directly into it when setting up the v400 brushless, and it didn't seem to recognize the signal. That signal converter is to convert the signal from the v400 brushed motor esc to a bushless motor esc which then powers the motor. What type of motor are you running?

I finally got my 450 back up and flying It's flybarless now, and I took a bunch of pics and my cousin shot a few videos, which I'll post soon. After about 15 or 20 batteries and flying comfortably, I started messing with the settings and switches and accidently crashed I hit throttle hold and had a semi controlled crash so it doesn't seem too bad. Overall i've had a real nice weekend of flying, and enjoyed zipping around in three dimensions
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Sep 19, 2011, 06:50 AM
Joined Aug 2011
512 Posts
Hi dilberto, i'm using the turnigy 3500KV with the exceed proton 40amp esc. What walkera RX is out there that i can use on a plug and play unit? and is there any other RX other than the walkera brand that would bind on my 2603TX?. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberto View Post
Hey Steelheadz, I recognize that post there. There is a signal converter that you can buy mentioned around page 55 or 60 by kdean and a few others that I had been referencing when I was switching to brushless.

One thing about the 2614 (and v400) is that it seems to be set up for only a brushed motor esc. I had tried plugging my brushless esc directly into it when setting up the v400 brushless, and it didn't seem to recognize the signal. That signal converter is to convert the signal from the v400 brushed motor esc to a bushless motor esc which then powers the motor. What type of motor are you running?

I finally got my 450 back up and flying It's flybarless now, and I took a bunch of pics and my cousin shot a few videos, which I'll post soon. After about 15 or 20 batteries and flying comfortably, I started messing with the settings and switches and accidently crashed I hit throttle hold and had a semi controlled crash so it doesn't seem too bad. Overall i've had a real nice weekend of flying, and enjoyed zipping around in three dimensions
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:25 AM
Joined Jul 2011
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelHeadz View Post
Hi dilberto, i'm using the turnigy 3500KV with the exceed proton 40amp esc. What walkera RX is out there that i can use on a plug and play unit? and is there any other RX other than the walkera brand that would bind on my 2603TX?. Thanks.
All Walkera stuff is proprietary. Doesn't work and play well with others. I'm still unclear if this is a v400 conversion or a new build. My advice would be to get the 2801 pro. It may be $ you don't want to spend but the benefits far outweigh the cost. You can save up to 8 models & being able to see, set, copy & change all your settings. Pitch & throttle curve, travel adj, subtrim adj, gyro sens, st-1 & st-2, throttle hold (you get the idea). If you plan on using walkera...Gotta get the 2801 pro. I was able to get mine used for $100 shipped with a lipo.
ok. there's my $.02
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:27 AM
Joined Jul 2011
570 Posts
Quote:

Dilberto,
Glad to hear it's flying. Looking forward to pics & vid.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:38 AM
Joined Aug 2011
512 Posts
Technically, it is the V400 conversion project that evolved into the 9050DH frame. Everything in the electrical side is still a walkera setup including the layout of its components. So even the Devo 8 TX is still proprietary?. That would be a bummer since that was what i was going to invest on. . At this point i guess the 2801 pro is my best bet if i was to keep using the walkera RX correct?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibbons View Post
All Walkera stuff is proprietary. Doesn't work and play well with others. I'm still unclear if this is a v400 conversion or a new build. My advice would be to get the 2801 pro. It may be $ you don't want to spend but the benefits far outweigh the cost. You can save up to 8 models & being able to see, set, copy & change all your settings. Pitch & throttle curve, travel adj, subtrim adj, gyro sens, st-1 & st-2, throttle hold (you get the idea). If you plan on using walkera...Gotta get the 2801 pro. I was able to get mine used for $100 shipped with a lipo.
ok. there's my $.02
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:41 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Hey, if you don't want to get the 2801tx and 2702rx right now and want to go a cheaper route, you may be able to just get the original V400 esc and do the brushless conversion similar to what people have been doing on the v400's. Is your heli a motor driven tail? If it is, brushed or brushless?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:45 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Technically, it is the V400 conversion project that evolved into the 9050DH frame. Everything in the electrical side is still a walkera setup including the layout of its components. So even the Devo 8 TX is still proprietary?. That would be a bummer since that was what i was going to invest on. . At this point i guess the 2801 pro is my best bet if i was to keep using the walkera RX correct?.
Oh, so do you already have the original walkera esc?

Also I read something about the Devo but i'm not sure if it's true. I read somewhere that walkera was offering to upgrade people's original rx's that don't go with the Devo, if they buy the Devo. Not sure if that's the case, or maybe they were only doing it when it first came out, but anybody thinking about buying that tx might want to look into it.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:04 AM
Joined Jul 2011
570 Posts
Quote:
Oh, so do you already have the original walkera esc?

Also I read something about the Devo but i'm not sure if it's true. I read somewhere that walkera was offering to upgrade people's original rx's that don't go with the Devo, if they buy the Devo. Not sure if that's the case, or maybe they were only doing it when it first came out, but anybody thinking about buying that tx might want to look into it.
From what I've seen the Devo 8 or 12 is only compatible with rx ending in D. so you would need the 2614d or 2702d. I did also see that they would exchange free of charge. I'm guessing that would take several weeks to accomplish.
I can't figure why Walkera would want to just discontinue one of their best products and potentially alienate a significant portion of their customer base.