HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:58 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,617 Posts
500 grounding

Did not think i would have too, but after total loss of control the other day, i guess it needs to be done. Flybarless systems do not like electro static interference of any kind. Walkera v rx's are not exempt of this.

I used 14awg copper wire .92 cents per foot, and some old electronic connection ends i found in my tool box. The 600 is next.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:40 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,762 Posts
I would have never guessed it.
All you need now is a Speckrum receiver and you'll be all set.
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:29 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,617 Posts
I heard spectrum rx are famous for lock outs due to static. I dont know if grounding the boom solved the problem, but i was able to get 5 flights today with no problems. Thats the most consecutive flights without a crash for the 500 in the past few months. I think i'm finaly getting all the kinks worked out. We'll see what happens next...

450 pro is still performing great. Got 4 flights with it even though it was fighting the 10mph gusts for most of the flights. When the sun was on the horizon, the winds stoped gusting and i was able to get some 3D practice in.

9 flights, no crashes, a good day in my book.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,762 Posts
That's true Kdean. I've heard and seen the same thing. Mine didn't get knock out but it was affectting the receiver. My 2 450s have belt tail and Specktrum receivers but never had a static problem. Something about the 500 size.
Good to see you got some flights in on your 500. I still would like to know what was causing the problem. I'd be nervious about it happening again.
9 flights is good. It was rain and wind here today so didn't even try
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:38 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,323 Posts
I wonder how the Walkera RX-2801PRO is affected by static.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
I wonder how the Walkera RX-2801PRO is affected by static.
We will wait for you to tell us.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:26 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,323 Posts
Well, I'm using it with my Trex 450PRO and no problems so far.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:49 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,617 Posts
Well if you throw it on your 600 w/o grounding the belt driven tail, it wont be long before you get some results. Dont stand to close...
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:53 AM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Aug 2011
512 Posts
I haven't seen any confirmed results after grounding the tail on my 600 yet. I'm still working on putting it back together after the last crash. Still trying to narrow down the issues when taking off from the ground, it takes off where ever it wants to without any TX inputs so i'm constantly trying to counter it's movements with my tx. Frustrating.
Questions:
What's the difference on these 600 flybar blades Vs flybarless blades?
Can i use my flybar blades on a flybarless head conversion?
SteelHeadz is offline Find More Posts by SteelHeadz
Last edited by SteelHeadz; Mar 19, 2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:29 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,095 Posts
600 bl head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelHeadz View Post
I haven't seen any confirmed results after grounding the tail on my 600 yet. I'm still working on putting it back together after the last crash. Still trying to narrow down the issues when taking off from the ground, it takes off where ever it wants to without any TX inputs so i'm constantly trying to counter it's movements with my tx. Frustrating.
Questions:
Looks good Steel ! Is that the CopterX from Wow Hob ? Be careful not to break anything especially the Radius Arm b/c no parts is on sale on that one for now.I broked the Radius Arm on mine and ending up using a regular radius arm and it works the same .I'm using the 600 HeliDirect 3D blade on mine and it works just fine and I don't think it's a FBL blade,so using a FBL blade should be better.Let us know how she fly !!!
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelHeadz View Post
Questions:
Hi SteelHead, should you normally be able to take off without any tx input? I know on all my helis it takes a lot of input from tx especially when taking off.

I flew the V400d this morning and think I am loosing skills instead of building them. I did ok but just not as comfortable as I used to be.
Oh. the FBL blades are weighted. I've never tried any on my helis and don't think it makes that much difference.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:21 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
I flew the V400d this morning and think I am loosing skills instead of building them. I did ok but just not as comfortable as I used to be.
Hey, me too. I noticed that with my V400 this morning also. I just think our skills go forward, then slip backward a bit, and then go forward again--it's the ebb and flow of the learning curve. As long as the general trend is forward, then we're fine.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:41 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,617 Posts
I always need a flight or two to get my thumbs and brain working as one.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 02:06 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Hey, me too. I noticed that with my V400 this morning also. I just think our skills go forward, then slip backward a bit, and then go forward again--it's the ebb and flow of the learning curve. As long as the general trend is forward, then we're fine.
count me in on that one too, I was flying the 3gx yesterday and could tell i was a little rusty so no flips this time, lol It'll be a little while until i try that again, but i'll get there eventually. Right now i'm just happy to be flying

Oh i did want to share my story of how i ruined two batteries, so nobody else does the same. It was a few weeks ago that i ruined them and they don't seem to want to recover so i only get about 1 or 2 minutes of flight time now. I had three gen ace batteries that I typically cycled through, commonly having one of them quick charge while i was out flying so i could fly them back to back. I never had a problem with this, until a few weeks ago...

I think what happened is that I had them charged up, then they sat for a few weeks not being used, due to bad weather and being busy. It was finally a nice day so i flew all three batteries, they flew fine, then i put the first one on a quick charge at about 2c. When that was charged up I threw the second one on the quick charge,r grabbed a bite to eat, and then took the first one out to fly. I started to fly it, and after about 2 minutes into the battery i began to lose power and came in to land. By then the second battery had charged up so I took that one out, same thing. Knowing i must have ruined the batteries, luckily i did not quick charge the third. The first two have not worked the same since, I lose power after a minute or two yet the battery still gives me about a 12.3 volt reading, and doesn't take very long to charge back up I tried balancing them but that didn't work, the only thing i haven't tried is a very slow discharge at 0.1volts so i might give that a shot.

Moral of the story, if your batteries sit charged for a long period of time, then you take them out and fly them, do not quick charge after! The third battery that got the regular charge is still fine...
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:16 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,095 Posts
Drills on lipos

I want to share something about what I did on my bad lipos that does not hold a charge and cannot be save anymore.This idea really works good and I have no problem with them.
ALL THE STOCK BATTERIES ON THIS DRILLS ARE DEAD ,I was about to donate them b/c buying another battery for them will cost a little almost the same as buying a new drill.
All the lipo on this drill does not balance or hold a charge.THE PROBLEM ? I have too many drills now!!!
NOTE : KEEP AN EYE WHEN YOU CHARGE THEM,REMEMBER THEY ARE BAD LIPOS AND THEY WON'T BALANCE AND CONSIDER DANGEROUS.----- DO NOT USE PUFFY BAD LIPOS----- YOU CAN DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CO2X2010; Mar 19, 2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: more info