SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 03, 2003, 12:08 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,664 Posts
Tic

The most frequent reports that I receive regarding your posts are all in German for some reason, dunno why that should be
Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2003, 12:09 PM
Monte Cristi - Dominican Republic
Joined Sep 2000
855 Posts
Now see, there you go Tic

I garauntee you that someone will read your "should be shot" comment and take it personally (maybe because they have reported one of your posts) and will report it as a personal attack on themselves. I'm laughing as I type this, but it's the honest truth.

I don't think you are loading your Winchester while you await my list of "offenders", but people can (and do) read things that way. Who is right and wrong....who knows. We're just the lucky ones who get to try and decide. It's a thankless job

Jason
jnowell is offline Find More Posts by jnowell
Old Sep 03, 2003, 12:30 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
I think Tic's anti zagi threads are very informative.

What if I was a newbie, and I knew nothing about Zagi's?

Tic could save me lots of money by steering me into something better!

The truth is that there is a little truth in everything!
BillH is offline Find More Posts by BillH
Old Sep 03, 2003, 12:59 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Brian,

Thanks for leaving my post as it was. I won't argue with the mods, but seriously. The tic anti-zagi posts are tradition, and why decide to close them now? It appears as if the moderator had a bad day. And then to close the supplemental post, makes it look as the mod is saying 'you will not question my authority'.

Please understand, what I am saying about the particular mod, is only relative to this action. He has helped a lot early on, and I appreciated it, so it's not personal, at all.

j
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Sep 03, 2003, 01:47 PM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
Oh truly it is a sad day when passing moderators can say CLOSED or MOVED to little old posters at will. What's the 'zone coming to???
Jim Walker is offline Find More Posts by Jim Walker
Old Sep 03, 2003, 02:21 PM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
Mr. moderator,
dream me a plane,
make it the cutest thing I've ever seen,
no contraversy,
no bad reports,
no awful posters full of retorts.

Mr. moderator,
sing me a song,
make it not too short and not too long,
not about PM's,
or too many sobs,
I don't want to hear it 'cuz,
it's your job!

Oooops! Now this thread will have to be moved to the humor section.
Jim Walker is offline Find More Posts by Jim Walker
Old Sep 03, 2003, 02:56 PM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Cullen
Please do not argue with the moderators.

My personal opinion has been that the anti-zagi threads are posted with the prime reason of provoking a response from other members for the sake of entertainment. That is putting a positive interpretation on why these are posted in the belief that Tic really does stand for Tongue-in-Cheek. As such they belong more in the Humor section than anywhere else.

The only other possible motivation for posting them would be if tic really believed what he was posting, that it wasn't just done for effect and that they expressed the belief that a particular model type really should be banned. If that is the case then the attitudes expressed in the threads are more offensive than any model could ever be. I would hope that my reading of tic's character is sufficiently accurate that considering this not to be the case is the correct conclusion.

The moderators are entrusted to edit, delete, move and close threads as necessary to maintain harmony in the forums. If such threads cause friction and generate heated argument, for the sake of entertainment, then that is not in keeping with the desired ambience of the site.

Brian
Ok, this I must comment on because I feel very strongly. I don't believe that it is my yours or anybody elses responsibility to restrain anybody else. It is each persons responsibility to restrain themselves and censor themselves no one else can do it for you. Argumentative debate is one thing, posting curse words and such is another. I may be wrong but I dont believe I have ever witness Tic posting a curse word. Why treat the symptom the disease will just spring up somewhere else. FWIW
Lightnin is offline Find More Posts by Lightnin
Old Sep 03, 2003, 03:34 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,664 Posts
Lightnin

You misunderstand the nature of the Rc Groups forums. This is a privately owned website and in participating here all members are required to do so in line with the very few guidelines for posting which are displayed throughout the site. Contrary to your comment it is my responsibility, and that of the other moderators, to occasionally restrain others in these forums.

Part of the job of the moderators is to keep this as a place where the members are comfortable to discuss various aspects of aeromodelling with each other. There are no rules against contrary opinions and providing they are expressed respectfully then they will remain in the forums with no action required. However, as Andy posted earlier in this thread, one of our forum posting guidelines is that members should not provoke each other and should treat other posters with respect. On occasions where this fails to happen then the moderators are empowered to take whatever action, in terms of editing, closing or deleting posts or threads, as is necessary to maintain harmony on the site. That need not involve any swearing or curse words but personal attacks, rude posts, harrassment and bickering between members, which occasionally surfaces in inflammatory threads are also causes for action.

Thankfully the "disease" that you speak of does not tend to occur with any great regularity in these forums, due in no small part to exactly the self regulation which you describe and, where that fails, by the action of the team of volunteer moderators.

I trust that explains the situation sufficiently.

Brian
Old Sep 03, 2003, 03:57 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
If you ask me, aeromodelling is a pretty "dry" activity and the forums can get awfully dull.. I just try and liven it up a bit..... I see no harm and actually, I've received lot's of mail from members saying how much they enjoy my posts... the people that are reporting that they are "offended" must have very thin skin IMHO.... is that who we want to protect? the thin skinned whiners?.... Is that who we want to have as the majority here?... Should we sanitize all sarcasim and ribbing amongst ourselves?.. Let's see how dry it gets then!....
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Sep 03, 2003, 04:57 PM
I like cheese...
Bloomington, IN
Joined Sep 2001
846 Posts
You know that in those "Anti-Zagi" threads you get many people that bestow the virtues of the Zagi by defending them. You may notice the countless times the Zagi is referenced, along with durability, crashability, ease of repair, ease of assembly, etc. Although I do not own one, I would be tempted to get one after reading through the threads with all the reports that herald the meager Zagi as “THE PLANE” to start with due to its forgiving nature to withstand poor piloting and landing skills. Sort of like reverse psychology (reverse marketing?) if you ask me. -- John P
Whizwaz is offline Find More Posts by Whizwaz
Old Sep 03, 2003, 05:02 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,973 Posts
Hmmmm....what would the Bible say about this,

Perhaps,

Children (those who post) obey your parents (moderators) that your life (length of post) may be long.

Parents (moderators) provoke not your children (those who post) to wrath.

and....

Despise not the chastising (edit post and closed threads) of your Lord (moderator), those (who post) He (the moderator) loveth He (the moderator) chastineth (editeth and/or closeth the post).

Peace,
LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Sep 03, 2003, 05:11 PM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
Brian,

I totally understand and respect youre position, and the difficult job you have. But unless a post is aimed directly at the person issuing a complaint our is obviously profain etc. is there not a certain amount of one man's trash if another man's treasure. No one can twist their arm make them read posts they dont like to see. I appreciate the fact that this is a private web site and all that entails. But part of the reason we can have a private web site is because of our freedoms. People make the decision to push the button and read the post. After all how did this thread end up here. It was not intended to be a suggestion or a complaint. I simply wanted to voice my opinion on the aspect of aero-modeling concerning the discussion of aero-modeling. So, if the true nature of what I wanted to say was to be respected the post would not have been moved. Myself and other have noted that it "feels" like this thread was moved because someone did not personally agree with what I had to say not because it violates any of the forum policies. And, in the process any chance of this thread having a positive impact was thwarted. What if a calm structured discussion through this thread would have helped those paricipants clear out the air and find some common ground concerning the discussion of aero-modeling? And god knows I am not perfect and I make mistakes too, I know that I am not always right. But why should all of us suffor for the abuses and transgressions of a few. Thankyou for addressing my point of view personally.
Old Sep 03, 2003, 05:29 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lightnin
After all how did this thread end up here. It was not intended to be a suggestion or a complaint. I simply wanted to voice my opinion on the aspect of aero-modeling concerning the discussion of aero-modeling. So, if the true nature of what I wanted to say was to be respected the post would not have been moved. Myself and other have noted that it "feels" like this thread was moved because someone did not personally agree with what I had to say not because it violates any of the forum policies. And, in the process any chance of this thread having a positive impact was thwarted.
I moved this thread to this forum because it involves feedback about the site. It has nothing to do with whether I personally agree or disagree with what you or anyone else had to say. That is the function of this forum- presentation of feedback on the site.

One of the reasons for moving threads of this type to the Site Suggestions forum is that this particular forum is read by the site administrators and site owner, presumeably the people whom the thread would be most advantageous to have reading it.

We really need to get away from the concept that moving threads to a particular forum is thought to be done in order to somehow hide them from the audience. In this case, as in many others, the opposite is true- if anyone has a comment to make about how the site is run then this is the place to make it.

Brian
Old Sep 03, 2003, 06:05 PM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
Brian,

Fair enough, and this is not an acusation aimed at you. But rules like anything else can be spun the will of the person with the authority. I have zero problems with the administration or rules of this site. This thread was meant to funny an totally tongue in cheek about the recent ongoings in open discussion. If I had a beef I would have posted it here, not in open discussion. Anyway, in the grand scheme of things this whole discussion is of little importance to you and to me. So if I had my way I would buy you a drink and we could talk about something else. You seem like a reasonable person that I could get along with under different conditions. No personal offense was intended, I appreciate your point of view I hope you can do the same for me. Lets talk about something else.
Old Sep 03, 2003, 06:12 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LcJ
Hmmmm....what would the Bible say about this,

Perhaps,

Children (those who post) obey your parents (moderators) that your life (length of post) may be long.

Parents (moderators) provoke not your children (those who post) to wrath.

and....

Despise not the chastising (edit post and closed threads) of your Lord (moderator), those (who post) He (the moderator) loveth He (the moderator) chastineth (editeth and/or closeth the post).

Peace,
LcJ
???????
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo