HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2003, 09:20 PM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
Please Mr. Moderator dont't close our threads

I know some people may find our sparring matches with tic untastefull. But I assume that their are some out there like me who really enjoy a good debate. I think everyone is entitled to their opinion and really, what can it hurt a few of us slapping eachother around with playfull banter?

I mean, I battled head on with Tic and I was laughing so hard I almost could not type.

I know I dont really have any grounds to complain. But I know that I am not the only one who flat enjoys fishing and being fished.

We live in a world where everyone is thumping on being poitically correct all the while pumping their passive/aggressive junk out the rest of the world. I like to have a little fun every once in a while and let my political hair down....doesn't everyone?

So, please Mr./Ms/or Mrs Moderator dont take our fun away.

Lightnin is offline Find More Posts by Lightnin
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2003, 10:23 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
I second that motion. It's no fun debating by PM.
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Sep 03, 2003, 12:32 AM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
Amen to that! MY thread got shut down even!

I have read and fully understand the forum rules. Perhaps there should be a "flame" topic or a "debate" topic? I mean, it's as if "Open discussion" isn't really all that open at all. I'm sure there are plenty of adults here who could carry on with a successful and enlivening flame war without once using words from the naughty word list.

My response was well thought out (I thought) and had no foul language or even anything remotely flame-worthy (or so I thought.) And then I found out afterwards that Mr. tic does this on purpose and that he's really a great guy, and it was all in good fun. What gives?

Sorry, Moderators, I know you job is a tough one but could we get a ruling on this at least? Thanks.
Mikey C. is offline Find More Posts by Mikey C.
Old Sep 03, 2003, 06:31 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
The title of the forum is "Open discussions on any aspect of aeromodeling."

Those threads are inappropriate for at least the following (highlighted) reasons:

Rules:

1. This is a family friendly site. Users shall refrain from cursing, posting lewd or offensive pictures, text, or other media, or in any other way conducting themselves in a manner that would be uncomfortable for children or the parents of children who browse here.

2. We strive to be a place for courteous discussion. Users shall treat each other with respect at all times. There shall be no name-calling. Users shall not provoke one another. Please pause for a moment before sending your post and consider how you would view it if you were reading it as addressed towards you personally.

---

His posts are inflamatory and the responses (including those posted in a seperate thread) add fuel to the fire.

..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Sep 03, 2003, 07:35 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
There is "a place to discuss politics, current events, and other non-hobby topics." It's called Off Topic Discussion. Threads get shut down there, too, when they violate the rules of the forum. However, there are many internet forums where there are no rules, and everyone can say whatever they want to each other.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Sep 03, 2003, 08:43 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy W
The title of the forum is "Open discussions on any aspect of aeromodeling."

Those threads are inappropriate for at least the following (highlighted) reasons:

Rules:

1. This is a family friendly site. Users shall refrain from cursing, posting lewd or offensive pictures, text, or other media, or in any other way conducting themselves in a manner that would be uncomfortable for children or the parents of children who browse here.

2. We strive to be a place for courteous discussion. Users shall treat each other with respect at all times. There shall be no name-calling. Users shall not provoke one another. Please pause for a moment before sending your post and consider how you would view it if you were reading it as addressed towards you personally.

---

His posts are inflamatory and the responses (including those posted in a seperate thread) add fuel to the fire.

..a

Those reasons are a cop out. You felt like closing the threads so you did it. You found some reasons that 'fit' your closing the threads, and posted them. There is nothing offensive about the zagi threads, and 'provoking' people is stretch.

I would say that closing the threads were inflammatory and added fuel to the fire.
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Sep 03, 2003, 08:53 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I think it is VERY important to teach children at an early age to be uncomfortable around the Z... parents too!....
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Sep 03, 2003, 08:56 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Please do not argue with the moderators.

My personal opinion has been that the anti-zagi threads are posted with the prime reason of provoking a response from other members for the sake of entertainment. That is putting a positive interpretation on why these are posted in the belief that Tic really does stand for Tongue-in-Cheek. As such they belong more in the Humor section than anywhere else.

The only other possible motivation for posting them would be if tic really believed what he was posting, that it wasn't just done for effect and that they expressed the belief that a particular model type really should be banned. If that is the case then the attitudes expressed in the threads are more offensive than any model could ever be. I would hope that my reading of tic's character is sufficiently accurate that considering this not to be the case is the correct conclusion.

The moderators are entrusted to edit, delete, move and close threads as necessary to maintain harmony in the forums. If such threads cause friction and generate heated argument, for the sake of entertainment, then that is not in keeping with the desired ambience of the site.

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Sep 03, 2003, 09:11 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Yes, let's sterilize the community.. We should only think happy thoughts and dream of pink wingos that never crash. what a wonderful ambience. John Lennon wrote a song once.. "imagine"... "imagine there's no ... oh wait,, I better not.
Old Sep 03, 2003, 09:18 AM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
so this brings to mind a question....

who's moderating the moderators?
lol

<---tic likes my av
Mikey C. is offline Find More Posts by Mikey C.
Last edited by Mikey C.; Sep 03, 2003 at 09:20 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2003, 09:28 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikey C.
so this brings to mind a question....
who's moderating the moderators?
lol
If you care to consult the forum posting guidelines you will see the following:

Quote:
3. Each forum is governed by a moderator. The moderator is able to move and delete posts and threads. Inform the moderator of any problems you may have. If you consider that you have not been treated appropriately by the moderator you may inform an administrator.
Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Sep 03, 2003, 09:37 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
reminds me of a great bumper sticker that was popular in the 70's.. it read simply "question authority"
Old Sep 03, 2003, 09:43 AM
Monte Cristi - Dominican Republic
Joined Sep 2000
855 Posts
Mikey,

Tic has reported your avatar as being "offensive" to him, please remove it immediately

We rarely have any reason to "moderate the moderators" but Jim or I would be in charge of that. Brian and Andy are our "Super Moderators" and most questionable calls go to them.

Remember that we have been in operation since 1996, and by now have a pretty good idea of what will get out of hand, and what to leave alone. It's a delicate balance letting you guys have your fun while keeping our complaint emails to a minimum. If you guys had any idea how many emails I sent out telling people "they are just giving each other a hard time, if it bothers you, don't read that thread" you'd understand. I personally spend a lot more time defending you guys than searching around trying to find posts that I can edit or delete.

Almost all moderator action originates from a "Report this Post" form filled out by a fellow RC Groups member. If I really felt that we acted as the "fun police", I wouldn't be working here.

Jason
jnowell is offline Find More Posts by jnowell
Old Sep 03, 2003, 10:40 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
That puts a new light on it Jason.. Now please tell us who the rats are so we can PM them with some happy thoughts.
Old Sep 03, 2003, 10:48 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
"This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.".... geez, I never even considered "reporting" an offensive post before.. well, them there's the rules..... Anyone who goes crying to mommy because a post upsets them should be shot.....