HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:32 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
usually generators of some sort, or where a large amount of compressed air is needed. believe it or not, there's a place not far from me that has a RR Merlin as a generator. it sounds so cool when they fire it up, because it sounds so different outside an engine cowling. lots of extra mechanical noises adding to the concert of sweet sounds you here from a similarly powered airplane.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:47 AM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Just read through this thread. Very cool stuff.

In regards to the AMA thing it amazes me that they allow carbon fiber blades for helicopters and bugger metal fans? How dangerous are helicopters? I've flown helicopters foe years and have seen more thrown blades than I can shake a stick at, not to mention helicopters are flying lawn lower blades without any protection. O well sorry. I know this dead horse has been beat to death but sometimes I wish their was an alternative to the AMA monopoly.

On another note, not having any edf knowledge, wouldn't mounting the motor in front of the fan remove the risk of it flying off?
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:52 AM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,379 Posts
If you have a spun alum inlet section which necks down to 100% FSA or so, and it's fixed to the main shroud, if the rotor comes off it will just strike this section and stop. It will make a horrible mess, but not of your face. The main thing is to contain it before it gets too far away and out of control. I think you'll need to do a failure mode and effect analysis on the entire design to see where any danger may come from.

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:22 AM
Joined Mar 2010
93 Posts
Thanks everybody's suggestion
I am carrying on two improvement methods
1.make protective umit prototype.
2.make the prototype motor and inquire the motor factory
I will publish as soon as possible when the prototype modify completes

=^-^=
MACH ESF's
Mach Chuang
mach chuang is offline Find More Posts by mach chuang
Last edited by mach chuang; Jul 20, 2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:45 AM
OHIO
Joined Aug 2009
1,595 Posts
It is a very nice sounding 90mm!!
BILLYDSRC is offline Find More Posts by BILLYDSRC
Last edited by BILLYDSRC; Jul 20, 2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:07 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumax View Post
If you have a spun alum inlet section which necks down to 100% FSA or so, and it's fixed to the main shroud, if the rotor comes off it will just strike this section and stop. It will make a horrible mess, but not of your face. The main thing is to contain it before it gets too far away and out of control. I think you'll need to do a failure mode and effect analysis on the entire design to see where any danger may come from.

Stu.
good point...
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:09 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzkill2 View Post
Just read through this thread. Very cool stuff.

In regards to the AMA thing it amazes me that they allow carbon fiber blades for helicopters and bugger metal fans? How dangerous are helicopters? I've flown helicopters foe years and have seen more thrown blades than I can shake a stick at, not to mention helicopters are flying lawn lower blades without any protection. O well sorry. I know this dead horse has been beat to death but sometimes I wish their was an alternative to the AMA monopoly.

On another note, not having any edf knowledge, wouldn't mounting the motor in front of the fan remove the risk of it flying off?
Yeap, and I've seen few of the safety features we're talking about here placed on turbines...
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:35 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
Yeah it'll take fod well, but another equally futile test that should get the point across. Bead blast a .45 bullet then put it in the gun and fire it at your face. I think it'll still act as a projectile. If anything test confirms to me when a bearing fails,or an adaptor,or if plane crashes and it gets loose (planes do crash) it indeed is so tough it'll stop at nothing to continue it's path. And let's face it AMA is here just for this reason, the laws protect those that can't protect themselves. Pretty sure even beyond rc throwing stars are illegal and unsafe. So laws protect me if a guys convinces himself there safe I still don't have to worry at my local park cause of rules and laws

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Jul 20, 2011, 03:18 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,968 Posts
one could reconsider to laminate the intake tube with additional kevlar to make it bullet proof As Stu mentioned a 100% fsa intake will catch the rotor when it may come loose...IMO keeping the blades in the ducting is prio #1

Are there destructive tests planned in future?
Still a great fan!
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:06 PM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkamarm2000 View Post
Yeah it'll take fod well, but another equally futile test that should get the point across. Bead blast a .45 bullet then put it in the gun and fire it at your face. I think it'll still act as a projectile. If anything test confirms to me when a bearing fails,or an adaptor,or if plane crashes and it gets loose (planes do crash) it indeed is so tough it'll stop at nothing to continue it's path. And let's face it AMA is here just for this reason, the laws protect those that can't protect themselves. Pretty sure even beyond rc throwing stars are illegal and unsafe. So laws protect me if a guys convinces himself there safe I still don't have to worry at my local park cause of rules and laws

Barry
When did AMA policies become law?

There's existing rc aicraft flying everyday that's every bit or more dangerous than edf's with metal fans.

Id say the AMA old timers don't like edt noise and it'll never pass until they do.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:24 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumax View Post

Stu.
A screw on front section is what I proposed to Mach yesterday, as what I thought might be better than the "X"
Wel'll see what he comes up with.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:51 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkamarm2000 View Post
Barry
This is exactly why certain rules are enforced, often it is not because the product might or might not fail, its because of lowest common denominator factors. We have issue with 2.4G radio gear in Australia, with the prolification of cheap orange rx's popping up at clubs and being the cause of failures and crashes there is a push to ban everything that is not accepted by our MAAA and certified by the ACMA radiocommunications department. Regardless whether the product is technically "safe" or not, the insurance companies will have a field day when they figure out the equipment that injured said party is not "technically" legal to operate here.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:54 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,602 Posts
wow...13pds on a 90mm without a full intake lip at 114amps settled...

What do turbines around this size do?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:04 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
a screw on front section is a great idea. I also like the idea of putting Kevlar on the intake ducting. sure, it's expensive, but so is the fan and the equipment the fan sits in. I say the user should kevlar the fan shroud and the intake ducting. you know guys are going to be pushing some insane numbers out of these fans, so the safety thing is a must. the manufacturer should provide a certain amount of built in safety and the end user needs to provide the rest.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:07 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
This is exactly why certain rules are enforced, often it is not because the product might or might not fail, its because of lowest common denominator factors. We have issue with 2.4G radio gear in Australia, with the prolification of cheap orange rx's popping up at clubs and being the cause of failures and crashes there is a push to ban everything that is not accepted by our MAAA and certified by the ACMA radiocommunications department. Regardless whether the product is technically "safe" or not, the insurance companies will have a field day when they figure out the equipment that injured said party is not "technically" legal to operate here.
Well, at least these EDFs are MAAA legal in Australia
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014