Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 18, 2011, 02:39 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,606 Posts
well i think some sort of guide vane/cage could be mounted to the front to hold the rotor in ...that easy .
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:31 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,563 Posts
Safety Guard...

Guys,

Immedeiatley after reading Jim's suggestion last night (thanks Jim ) for a guard in front of the rotor, I contacted Mach about providing such a device, as a solution.

It's currently being addressed, and I'll keep ya posted.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:40 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
it could be something as simple as an "X" made of aircraft cable, but if it were me and I had the means, I'de machine something that's aerodynamic for containment. something similar to what holds the starter in place for a turbine, or the IGV system on the WM series fans. jsut a thought.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:41 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,606 Posts
if it looks like inlet guide vanes it can improve the thrust too. the guide vanes i have seen on full scale turbo fan engines actually bends the air so that the rotor takes a bigger "bite" of air . think of them as stators that turn the air into the rotor...but hey even straight vanes would at least catch the rotor and smooth out the incoming air ,a bering could be used too for even better shaft support.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:47 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
^^^agreed. totally.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:17 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,606 Posts
WELL GREAT MINDS DO THINK ALIKE
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:55 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
well, it stands to reason really, when you look at all the early turbojets, they had a moveable stator section before the first stage of compressor blades. it could be moved to give the best air entry to the first stage. that's a little advanced here, but if it's designed at the right angle, as you say, it should increase thrust slightly. my guess is it should use the same amount of blades as the stator section. this makes sense to me, but three would give adequate support and containment.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:57 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
now, how do I/we get a patent on this, before it gets produced?..........JIM, EPF, TAM, anyone, anyone, Bueller, Bueller? hahahahahaha.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:20 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,746 Posts
LOL! Too late, I jumped in a time machine and already filed.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:27 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!! apparantly, XPS also produce the flux capacitor. hahahahahaha.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 04:09 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Interestingly, you guys are talking about something that a company has just been poo-pooed for making, i.e. straight vanes, rotor, stator.
The argument for was 3 bearings is better, the one against was it's statically indeterminate, therefore bad.
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:49 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
Interestingly, you guys are talking about something that a company has just been poo-pooed for making, i.e. straight vanes, rotor, stator.
The argument for was 3 bearings is better, the one against was it's statically indeterminate, therefore bad.
So where they saying that straight stators reduce static thrust?

I've got some shrouds that have straight stators and my bench numbers go down noticeably with them using same rotors\motors\escs...couldn't explain it and thought the stators might be the issue.
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:09 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,606 Posts
will on full scale the IGV's turn the airtoward the blade in the opp. direction ...i never have understood that but it helps the rotor take a bigger bite of air .....they are hinged to change there angle also ....i dont know if this would help or hurt a EDF. might make it real noisey too
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:47 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I think it's because there's no windmilling, or loss of energy associated with a straight flow of air. a swirling mass in the direction of rotation has less losses, thereby giving a bigger bite.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:25 PM
I'm slow but I'm expensive
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2003
574 Posts
Would a FG / kevlar / nylon IGV assembly work? It might deform and absorb the energy without possibly breaking a chunk out of a blade. I assume that it would be easier and lighter than an aluminum version. No carbon here, I think that it would shatter. Setting the IGV angle for best performance would be a side benefit. A variable IGV system is actually not to hard to make, but it may not be as strong, negating the original issue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO4kG...layer_embedded
Ken
Ken Lilja is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lilja
RCG Plus Member