HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:11 PM
Victown SkyDonkey
Victoria, BC
Joined Jan 2010
729 Posts
Discussion
Tian Sheng FW-190 kit from Hobby King (1 meter, EPO)

This is the best deal I've ever had on an air frame and I have to share. I've only seen it mentioned in the GWS 190 and Guanli 190 threads, and since it's not actually any of these, I thought this little plane deserves it's own thread. I'm sure there lots more people out there loving this plane, so please pipe up!

Hobby King sells these for $27 and it was LESS THAN $50 DELIVERED to Canada. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12914

This plane has been for sale at HK for quite some time, but there is a couple problems with the way they are listed in the catalog:

1) Listed as 890mm wing span when it's actually 1 meter (they got length and span mixed up)

2) It's made of EPO. The foam type isn't mentioned in the catalog listing, leading most to believe it's made of EPS like the Guanli model.

Had I known about these things, I would have ordered this plane long ago, since it's almost impossible to find a 190 of this size these days!

So I ordered it, and it's unbelievable. Good foam, strudy construction, lots of battery space, REALLY NICE FITS everywhere, nice control horns etc, and of course, FLIES GREAT.

Very few issues putting it together, but I'll leave my mods for a follow up post. A few key pics down below...
byxnplanes is offline Find More Posts by byxnplanes
Last edited by byxnplanes; Jul 17, 2011 at 02:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:40 PM
Victown SkyDonkey
Victoria, BC
Joined Jan 2010
729 Posts
So, here's some nice little changes that made me like this little beauty even more.

1) It's set up for a stick mount gear box or brushless. No good. I made a balsa plate and gorilla glued it to the fire wall. Screw my Turnigy down. Done.

2) Re-enforced the torque rod that joins the 2 elevator halves with a thin carbon rod. Cut a channel through the appropriate spots to avoid interference when using the elevator... more gorilla glue. Done.

3) Re-enforced both push rods for the rudder/elevator. They are flimsy, All it took was some thin carbon tube taped along most of the length of each push rod. Super easy. Done.

4) Shaved down the rear part of the gun blisters on the battery hatch. In my opinion, this is the worst looking part of the airframe. By tapering down the back part of the 'lump', it looks way more appropriate. Thank you Dremel Tool.

5) Paint job. The stock paint is way less than fantastic... enough said. It comes with some lame decals as well. I used the 2 iron crosses that were included for the fuselage and chucked the rest. I made the other decals myself.

I think that's about it for now. I'm not finished so I'll keep updating as I go... if anyone's interested that is.

Neil
Old Jul 17, 2011, 03:06 PM
Victown SkyDonkey
Victoria, BC
Joined Jan 2010
729 Posts
...and some video. Not only the cheapest plane I own, it's the best behaved as well!

Sky Donkeys FW-190 Dub Mix (3 min 32 sec)

Neil
Old Jul 17, 2011, 03:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2011
1,145 Posts

only $18 kit
http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001220089
tweeter1 is offline Find More Posts by tweeter1
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 17, 2011, 03:34 PM
Victown SkyDonkey
Victoria, BC
Joined Jan 2010
729 Posts
Good price. At $36.59 for shipping, that would have worked out just a tad more expensive than mine.

Just a fantastic plane if anyone is looking for a sturdy, reliable park flyer (who isn't?).
Old Jul 17, 2011, 03:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2011
1,145 Posts
really? $36.59???
I did not know that

tweeter1 is offline Find More Posts by tweeter1
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 17, 2011, 03:48 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,939 Posts
Quote:
Wing pegs for detachable wing (single screw, very parkzone-ish)
True but, I believe the actual company that had this wing attachment setup, at least one of them, who in fact sold tons of ARF (More like Kits from comparing it to today's ARF's) was GRAND WING SERVO (GWS).
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2011, 05:54 PM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
Very nice , Neil !

Looks like she's on rails.... every fw190 model I've ever flown has been rock-solid in flight. For the $$ looks like a great little addition to the squadron...

congrats and continued good luck !
the Swamp Fox is offline Find More Posts by the Swamp Fox
Old Jul 17, 2011, 06:43 PM
Victown SkyDonkey
Victoria, BC
Joined Jan 2010
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
True but, I believe the actual company that had this wing attachment setup was GRAND WING SERVO (GWS).
Oh I know. I think this plane was modeled from the Guanli, which was modeled from the GWS. This thing fits snugly together like no gws I've seen though... the robustness and nice fit are certainly "parkzone-ish".

Neil
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:34 PM
San Antonio, TX.
Joined Feb 2009
631 Posts
Is this the same model? http://www.nitroplanes.com/focke.html
malden86 is offline Find More Posts by malden86
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:26 PM
Victown SkyDonkey
Victoria, BC
Joined Jan 2010
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malden86 View Post
I thought the "Tian Sheng" 190 was identical to the Guanli 190 only made of EPO (I believe the Guanli 190 are EPS). Only after reading your post and having one more look, it's not the same plane. It appears the same in almost every way, but there are a few differences in the mold they used.

The Tian Sheng model has gun blisters on the battery hatch that are way more pronounced than on the Guanli. The Guanli ailerons are a bit more scale than the Tian Sheng, at the edges of the wing, while the Tian Sheng has more aerobatic type ailerons (and they sure work that way).

So, after much deliberation, they are different. The Guanli is modeled after the GWS, and the Tian Sheng is neither. Good to know!

Neil
Last edited by byxnplanes; Jul 19, 2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:17 AM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,493 Posts
I may have to give one of these a try. The price is definitely right.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:41 PM
Victown SkyDonkey
Victoria, BC
Joined Jan 2010
729 Posts
She's done.

I had a bit of spare time to paint, now the 190's lookin a bit better. Yay for $50 airframes and cheap acrylic paint!

A little artistic interpretation here and there, but I'm pleased with the result.

Anyone with suggestions for a FW-190ish triple-prop spinner??

Neil
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:11 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,939 Posts
Neil,

Very nice job!

Matching that BF-190 would be expensive as the only Spinner come to mind are Thru True Aluminum and they are quite expensive.

I found this thread over at RCU and perhaps you might find some clues?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_14...tm.htm#1485163
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:37 PM
Victown SkyDonkey
Victoria, BC
Joined Jan 2010
729 Posts
Thanks Pitts,

I think I just solved my problem though. I'll just look for a parkzone 109 spinner and add a bit of an extension behind the back plate to make more of a bullet shape. Plug the cannon hole as well, I suppose.

http://parkzone.com/Products/Default...ProdID=PKZ4907

I hope the hobby shop has one, cause I can't wait.