HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2001, 07:34 AM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Tiger Moth = RC Box Kite!

Hi all. Yesterday, I threw caution to the winds literally, and got the TM over the tree rotor into a westerly steady wind. I had a self-made 6 cordless phone batt pack of about 300 mah.This is the pack I use for weight, and this pack I fly while waiting for the Tadrians to charge! For 5 min it was at full throttle, hovering, very steady. It gained a lot of altitude, moving a bit downwind, and twice I had to bring it down and forward some. It was at most times a hands off self hover, very amusing. I am exploring it's wind handling and to the desperate to fly, I think with a little practice that some wind can be fun, though at the risk of some misadventure. Best Regards
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2001, 08:17 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
LOL! Yes, a box kite. That's what the Tiger Moth reminds me of flying into the wind. It doesn't take much wind for me to turn my little Moth into a kite. I have had mine up at a pretty high altitude when I've been fooling around and flighing into the wind. It gets pretty exciting going the other way around, though.

What's fun is landing in some steady wind. It turns the 'lil Moth into a VTOL.

Enjoy!
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Oct 21, 2001, 08:18 AM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
Think of all the money you save on string.

RB
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Old Oct 23, 2001, 11:49 PM
United States, WA, Kent
Joined Sep 2001
718 Posts
What kinda speed winds do you think you were flying in?
Its been quite windy where I'm at lately. (a.where I fly/live is right next to the ocean b.I've been flying at night, even more windy)
I have been reading alot about the Tiger Moth, and am real close to buying one, but am a little concered how well it flies in wind. I just got back from "exciting" flying with my Soarstar in winds approx 15mph. I am quite surprised how much wind it can take, just don't know how well the Tiger Moth will do, since its probably going to quite windy here for a awhile...
joemi is offline Find More Posts by joemi
Old Oct 24, 2001, 12:13 AM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Mine really struggles in anything over 5 mph

Our field actually has a windspeed indicator and the other day when it was showing 2 - 8 mph breezes, the TM had a little trouble. Bounce and struggle into the wind and then ziiiiiip downwind to very quick turn to keep it in sight!
( it has a camo airbrush job. )

Landed early, had to hold 1/2 throttle to make a near zero groundspeed landing! Landing roll was around 1 ft.
This is with the "IPS" motor and 110 mah cells.

Looks cute in the air though. I'm sure it can be flown in a regular high school gym once I get enough calm air to set the throws etc.
( calm is rare in Sacramento, Ca area )

Dave
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
Old Oct 24, 2001, 01:47 AM
United States, WA, Kent
Joined Sep 2001
718 Posts
I've been reading all night about the TigerMoth, and well, I can't resist. I'm going to run to my local LHS and check prices, (probably pick one up no matter
It's going to be my second plane (1st- Soarstar)
Can't wait to check it out! Now time to read up on all the mods for it.
joemi is offline Find More Posts by joemi