Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 06, 2012, 03:38 AM
London,UK
Joined Jun 2001
344 Posts
Ha! - I just did the same test. I realised I hadn't dropped the trim right down, so did that (in my case to -120 on the Futaba T6EXA), but the alarm still went off...

On a separate note, have you mixed your ailerons and flaps? It's the first time I tried this and used channel 1 for right aileron and channel 6 for the left aileron, as suggested. When mixed, the aileron movement seems OK, but I am getting the same amount of 'up flap' as down flap. That just looks wrong - or is that the way it should be?
staib is offline Find More Posts by staib
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 02:18 PM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Jan 2012
97 Posts
Staib, mine was setup out of the box as it is the RTF model. 1 and 6 are correct. Flaps work great - the thing practically parks in the air. Careful as your Ails become very sluggish - I use much more rudder when flaps are down.

Not sure what you mean by "I am getting the same amount of 'up flap' as down flap" though? Do your flapperons move upwards past the horizontal?
LudwigB is offline Find More Posts by LudwigB
Last edited by LudwigB; Jan 06, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:30 AM
London,UK
Joined Jun 2001
344 Posts
Yes - that's exactly what is happening...!

I have flaps that go up, as well as down...

If I adjust the end point for the flap component with the Tx E.P.A. (ie no up at all) then the flaps work as expected, but it ALSO stops the ailerons upwards travel - maybe I'm doing the setting up wrong, but I think I read that any EPA setting is specific for that servo, regardless of any mixing going on.

I have since also read that others treat this extreme wing 'reflex' as having spoilers (or spoilerons)...

I'm sure it's all flyable, so I'm not too concerned, and would expect the controls to get a little mushy at slower speeds anyway - but thanks for mentioning that.

Just waiting for some glass reinforced cloth to add to the lower front fuselage (and maybe the wing leading edges) to add some grass stain and 'ding' protection before the maiden flight!

Cheers,
Nick
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:19 PM
Australia, QLD, Charleville
Joined Aug 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by staib View Post
I just noticed the same thing with mine...
Did you fly with the original (20mAh) esc or did you replace it??

Cheers,
Nick
Mine has a 20 amp esc too. No trouble so far except for the beeping / lockup problem. I replaced it with an e-fun? 45Amp I had, fitted a logger and tested.
Pulls about 20 amp WOT on the standard battery. The e-fun was not programmed with brake so make sure if you replace yours that you get a programmable unit with brake capability! Had a lot of problems with the motor not restarting after the first run, I logged temps to nearly 60C with quite short runs maybe thermal shutdown? I have ordered a new 40 Amp, will keep you all posted.

In 6 flights over two days I managed to catch two thermals with absolutely no experience, just read how to on the net. The first was so high she just looked black, I love my Sky Climber Now I have the logger sorted I am kooking forward to trying to break ATB Malcs record!

Cheers
Ross
mulgaman is offline Find More Posts by mulgaman
Old Jan 08, 2012, 02:20 AM
Joined Jan 2012
97 Posts
Ross, am I understanding you correctly - you too have the "alarm" issue I posted the video on? Wow, this seems to be a design issue in that case..
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigB View Post
Ross, am I understanding you correctly - you too have the "alarm" issue I posted the video on? Wow, this seems to be a design issue in that case..
Yep, thats it, exactly, move the throttle stick and it rearms.

Ross
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:33 AM
Joined Jan 2012
97 Posts
OK, I think I have solved this:

I took the plane back to the shop and we sat there until the alarm occurred. They were absolutely shocked as the shop has been flying a Sky Climber since the release days - never seen that problem. We tried their own Nine Eagles ESC in my plane and in 20 mins the problem didn't occur once on the ground. I'll take the plane out to test in the next day or so, but so far it seems like a dodgy ESC. Not an amps rating issue etc, just a defective unit.

Maybe NE's tremendous success and demand has compromised the quality control a bit?... I'll let you guys know once I've flown the plane again, but it looks very good now.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:50 AM
Joined Aug 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
OK, I think I have solved this:

I took the plane back to the shop and we sat there until the alarm occurred. They were absolutely shocked as the shop has been flying a Sky Climber since the release days - never seen that problem. We tried their own Nine Eagles ESC in my plane and in 20 mins the problem didn't occur once on the ground. I'll take the plane out to test in the next day or so, but so far it seems like a dodgy ESC. Not an amps rating issue etc, just a defective unit.

Maybe NE's tremendous success and demand has compromised the quality control a bit?... I'll let you guys know once I've flown the plane again, but it looks very good now.
It does seem a time related fault but not always. I have had it happen prior to launch on my first flight of the day. On my first long thermal flight I noted it was happening late in the descent. My concern is is it using a lot of power when it happens? Or could it interfere with the BEC and kill the radio link?
I have elected to replace my esc anyway.

It is still fantastic value for money, the Ebay store where I bought mine for $200 AUD including freight has now lifted the price to $250 plus $60 freight
Old Jan 10, 2012, 02:36 AM
Joined Jan 2012
97 Posts
Fair point on the time-issue. I had it during the first setup within minutes after taking the plane out of the box! But it seems to be a factory flaw nonetheless. I just insisted on not spending money on this defect, hence getting them to replace the ESC.

Either way, an absolute beaut!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:58 AM
London,UK
Joined Jun 2001
344 Posts
Quote:
...you too have the "alarm" issue I posted the video on? Wow, this seems to be a design issue in that case..
Hi Ludwig,
Just wondering if you ever got a reply from NE about this? My LMS has little experience of these, and I suspect getting a replacement ESC from them will be non-trivial!
Cheers,
Nick
Old Jan 10, 2012, 03:44 PM
Joined Aug 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Fair point on the time-issue. I had it during the first setup within minutes after taking the plane out of the box! But it seems to be a factory flaw nonetheless. I just insisted on not spending money on this defect, hence getting them to replace the ESC.

Either way, an absolute beaut!
If I could sort it face to face I would have a go, having bought on Ebay makes it a slow process, and I just want to fly. The SC is my favorite at the moment though am building a R2 hobbies Raptor which looks promising

Ross
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Jan 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by staib View Post
Hi Ludwig,
Just wondering if you ever got a reply from NE about this? My LMS has little experience of these, and I suspect getting a replacement ESC from them will be non-trivial!
Cheers,
Nick

Hi Nick,

not a word, but then I didn't really expect to hear from them. Just get to your local NE dealer - they HAVE to sort you out if you bought the plane new.

L
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:22 AM
London,UK
Joined Jun 2001
344 Posts
You are probably right. Earlier I wondered if it was because I was using only a 2 cell LiPo for setting up the servos etc. But I just tried with a 3 cell and the same alarm goes off after a couple of minutes of no-motor use...
Old Jan 13, 2012, 03:29 AM
Joined Jan 2012
97 Posts
Just to make sure those interested get my post, here is my latest findings: After about 30 mins of testing in the workshop and over an hour of hard flying in extreme heat this morning, I'd say my Sky Climber is now fine. Replaced the ESC with identical one, and not a peep out of it, except when binding :O)
Old Jan 13, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
135 Posts
Replacement ESC has arrived, with bad weather. I'm sure that will sort it.
Materials on hand to complete the Raptor, so off to the workshop

Cheers
Ross