HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:45 PM
Australia, QLD, Charleville
Joined Aug 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Goslett View Post
Hi Guys, I have just bought a Sky Climber (you have probably heard that a few times in this thread) and it is a beautiful plane to fly...what I need to ask you all is do you find the Climber a little nose heavy? I feel that it needs quite a bit of trim on the elevator to ensure a smooth and straight flight path.
Any suggestions?
G'day Warren
Just to throw my 2 bobs worth in I also note I have quite a bit of up trim in too. Reading below I figure that indicates nose heavy but using a lighter battery I felt it didn't fly as well with the CG moved aft. The other factor in this is wing and tailplane incidence but as these are non adjustable on the Sky Climber.......
I balanced to the manuals suggestion using the tried and true finger tip method. Note that this is fairly rudimentary as you have to have a sharp eye to determine if the a/c is balancing level. This gives me a ball park setting which I then adjust further to get the flying characteristics I desire. From what I gather a good test of CG is to trim for a nice glide then put the a/c in a gentle dive (power off) and it should slowly pull out. If it pulls out quick and climbs its nose heavy, if the dive steepens its tail heavy. This happens because of the increased airspeed of the dive will give more authority to the trim on the elevator.

As noted by dayhead, avoid tail heavy, it makes for an interesting flight.

Cheers
Ross
mulgaman is offline Find More Posts by mulgaman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:45 PM
Joined Feb 2012
8 Posts
Hi Ross,

Thanks for your suggestions. I read somewhere that to test the true flight and balance of your glider, take it to a park or somewhere with a bit of space, set up your plane ready for flight and then throw it as hard as you can at a 30 degree angle. You can then see if it is banking to left or right and determine how much elevator you need. It is very similar to your method of putting the plane in the downward flight path. It really works! The problem I had when I did this with my first plane (Sky Surfer) is that no one told me you then have to control and fly the plane to a soft landing and of course that resulted in my first crash...I was devastated. So how often do you go flying if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers
Warren
Warren Goslett is offline Find More Posts by Warren Goslett
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
153 Posts
G'day Warren
Dunno about the hand throw thing, I prefer to be sure everything is setup as well as possible and launch under low power. By setup I mean all surfaces neutral, wings - tail parallel, tail fin square, CG at the recommended setting, and NO warps. Usually get a good result. Except once I made a foam wing and didn't notice the warp, made for a very short flight.

I try to get out every second week end, we are renovating so have to devote time to that. Just in from a session, most disappointing, no lift and lost my canopy to boot, time to find out if spares are available here.

Cheers
Ross
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:07 AM
London,UK
Joined Jun 2001
344 Posts
Thought you guys might be interested in a bird's eye view of the effects of radio interference...

I fly on 35Mhz and it appears that someone else switched on their transmitter on my very frequency (hopefully, by accident, rather than for 'fun' )

First flight was fine, the second one not so... (This was my old EasyStar not my new SkyClimber, thank goodness).

R/C Easystar CRASH... in HD (4 min 2 sec)

Repairs now underway...
staib is offline Find More Posts by staib
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:21 AM
Joined Aug 2011
153 Posts
Geez Nick, that was a bit rough. At least the camera survived OK.
Snow melts quick! And its fixable.........

Cheers
Ross
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:10 AM
Drogheda.Ireland
Joined Mar 2009
141 Posts
LB. You seen mine.for the money its great value.Im sure you will be happy with yours.
freshbreeze is offline Find More Posts by freshbreeze
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:01 AM
Slope fanatic
South Africa, WC, Paarl
Joined Jan 2012
70 Posts
Hi

I've done about 30-40 flying hours on my SC, almost all slope soaring and flying away from the slopes, some thermal soaring.

I've also replaced the ESC with a different brand after the alarm every 2.5 min. drove me up the wall. Not much fun resetting the alarm every 2.5 min. during a 3 hour continuous slope session.

I find the SG slightly forward during slower speeds, but I still need to push down elevator (stick forward) at higher lift / speed conditions to prevent uncontrolled climbs ending in stalls, thus, a bit of a catch 22 situation...

If I trim for level flight during slow mild conditions (normally less than 10 clicks), I have to use too much down elevator when conditions pick up?

I currently fly as often as possible
My landings on the slopes are a bit sketchy due to to the wind speeds and high turbulence, also maybe because do not practice it enough, only 1 or landing / day / 4 hours flying...

I've also stuck some tough tape on the leading edges of the wings and front bottom of the body for some damage control. I'm yet to find a landing spot that is not unforgiving fynbos / protea bushes, gravel or tough shrubs.
The only nice soft grass are at the flying or sports fields, which I don't frequent currently.

I have done very little powered flying with the SC for some reason...

By the way, from where is the correct place to measure the SG, from the flat section of the wing of from the the place where the wing enters the body (about 1 cm forward)?

Thanks for all the feedback on the SG, I will check mine again.

Regards

Tokkie
jatan231 is offline Find More Posts by jatan231
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:00 AM
London,UK
Joined Jun 2001
344 Posts
Mine's around 66mm back from the leading edge of the wing itself...
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Feb 2012
46 Posts
Video of Warren flying his SC in the Stadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Goslett View Post
@ staib - I had the ESC changed due to there being a problem with the stock ESC (was giving me an alarm sound every time I clipped it into the battery). The ESC wiring is shorter than the stock meaning that it now sits on the battery. The battery as it is sits very close to the motor. So you are probably right...I have shifted the COG forward? Sorry but to answer your question, the planes flight path does curve downwards. I find myself forever pulling down on the elevator to pick the nose up. Can I ask if this may have something to do with flight speed as I thoroughly enjoy the majesticness of the plane when it flies slower...considering I have spent my first few flights at the Moses Mabhida Stadium...you don't get to throttle up. It may be a combination of the COG and the flight speed?
Here you go Warren... just a taster...
Sky Climber RC Glider Moses Mabhida Stadium.wmv (0 min 21 sec)
DaveClaxton is offline Find More Posts by DaveClaxton
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:18 AM
London,UK
Joined Jun 2001
344 Posts
Cool little fly-past there!

I think I would be tempted to add a cheering stadium soundtrack...
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:14 AM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Jan 2012
97 Posts
OK then, so I did my first F5J event on Saturday, flying my Sky Climber with a repaired nose (a tad nose heavy, but hey).

It was great fun, and I have never flown any competition before, so I did not have any expectations.. Not sure where I placed yet (results to be announced) but here's what I learned..

The SC can be a contender IMO, esp if you can get it up to a good launch height. It actually outflew several "much better" planes on a round or two, when there was only a little lift at lower heights, but..

in the 30second motor run allowed, it did not nearly make the 200m height restriction required to really get off to a good start. Which meant I had so much less of an opportunity to find lift.

Other pilots were flying SA-built Tsotsi gliders (essentially highly modified fibreglass Gentle Ladies with much flatter glass wings (Epler 703 airfoil I think) and Speed 480 motors, and Xplorer Pro with a monster 1000w motor and a few other planes. All of those made 200m and more (at their points expense) and they did it under 30s (the Xplorer took 14s to do it!) Most of them climbed almost vertical. They all ran height/time limiters, so it gave really good and educational stats back on the ground.

The SC did not suck at all, but it needs a lot more climbrate.. so..

Anyone tried a bigger motor in it yet?!?! If so, what? Verdict? Ideas?

Looking forward to some input, to get more output :O)
LudwigB is offline Find More Posts by LudwigB
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:47 AM
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
Ludwig, here is a video I have found a few weeks ago. It might be usefull, but it is not as much power as the other contenders have. But just to show you what more power can do to this model:

Sky Climber V2 390 Watt Brushless Power von Modellbau FlyMex (2 min 5 sec)

And a link to the product, though I couldn't find a motor set alone. Maybe the information is on this page:

http://www.flymex.net/rc-flugmodelle...istung/a-7451/

It is all in German, but the video shows more of what the model does, and the page can get translated.

I personally have this model for 2 weeks, but the weather wasn't very nice. Snow and rain spoiled the fun when I had time. But I hope to get it in the air this weekend. I will report back here about my findings.

Wouldn't it be a nice thing to get a good review on this forum about this plane? It isn't something I can do, because of my lack of experience with these kind of planes. But I'm sure somebody could do that fine. It might make this plane more popular.
MJ The Thorn is offline Find More Posts by MJ The Thorn
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:04 AM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Jan 2012
97 Posts
Thanks MJ - looks insane! I emailed them (in English) - will let you all know what they say about selling the bits loose :O)
LudwigB is offline Find More Posts by LudwigB
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:03 AM
London,UK
Joined Jun 2001
344 Posts
That is quite a climb rate

Congratulations Ludwig on what sounds like some pretty competent flying there...

Meanwhile, I had a little fly around today - I took a snap day's holiday when I saw the sun shining
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Feb 2012
8 Posts
Holding thumbs Ludwig!! Let us know the results...just a quick one with regards to a bigger motor. Would this will mean more heat generated from the motor? The Sky Climber's motor is screwed directly on the bulk head (the red nose cone). My Dad has just had to epoxy a balsa wood brace onto this plastic bulk head as the motor prop and the 4 screws had moved out of position due to the heat generated from the motor. Granted it was full throttle flying for longer than 30seconds, however in your case Ludwig you are looking for a quick burst of power from the motor to gain the height you need and then throttle back. Something to think about none the less. Staib, I really like your idea of tape on the leading edge of the wing...is this a fibre glass tape?
Warren Goslett is offline Find More Posts by Warren Goslett