HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Edge767, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:48 PM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,495 Posts
Discussion
Lots of News

So much has happened in the past few days.

Let's start with the bad news first: the Super Cub took a dive for the earth and never pulled out. At first, I thought it was due to a broken wing (I was doing some mild aerobatics on a repaired wing), but when I got to the wreckage, I found that the wing was perfectly intact. It seemed that the electronics were dead, not surprising due to the amount of damage, but as I picked up the plane, the radio came back on. It appears that there was some sort of interruption in power from the battery to the radio/motor which caused the plane to lose all power at the third quarter of a loop (diving straight down). The resulting crash ripped the entire bottom out of the plane (the plastic landing gear mounting plate and battery door) and cracked the fuselage on both sides. The prop was damaged, and I had to pull the gearbox off to fix the pinyon gear on the motor. It's repairable, but it'll take some time, love, and attention to get it flying again. I'll work on it and probably repaint it (again) afterward to try to make it look pretty again. For the record, the plane has 24.21 hours of flight time on it with 241 landings.

The good news: I have been flying the Extra 300 more. What a fun plane! It's super smooth and stable in the air, and a pure pleasure to fly. It's the first plane I've flown in a while that really requires me to think ahead of it, and every once in a while, I still find myself reacting to something unexpected. That's okay; I'm learning and getting to be a better pilot. It seems like the last 10 years or so of flying hasn't really taught me much other than to get really good at takeoffs and landings and to do low-level passes without biffing. I'm ready to start learning some more good stuff, which brings me to my next development: club flying.

I went out to the club field again for the second time this morning and had a great time. This was only my second time flying on grass in the past 30 years, and my first landing resulted in a nose-over, but the rest of my landings were all beautiful, smooth, and quite frankly, some of the best I've ever done. It was a great morning, and I find myself longing to go back out for more flying!

Finally, my F4U-5N project is coming along nicely! Aside from the larger wheels and dummy motor, I've added a more detailed cockpit, instrument panel, a more scale pilot, new canopy, flash shields, exhaust, and the radar pod. All that's left now are the rocket pylons on the wings, the cannons in the wings, and some fuselage pylons for fuel tanks that I will fabricate from foam. It's a fun project, and I'm proud of how she looks!
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
to remove ads between posts