HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:28 PM
Arc, spark and smoke...
upstate NY; Lake George region
Joined Mar 2006
615 Posts
Discussion
OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver gets hot?

I just maidened my Electrifly Seawind EP. I equipped it with a HobbyKing OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver. The plane flew very well and when I brought it down after flying three batteries, back to back, the ESC and battery were barely warm but the Rx was quite warm -- borderline "hot."

Is this normal? I have analog servos in the model and believe I have the Rx in the proper mode. But even if it wasn't in the proper mode, it should be the servos that get hot, not the Rx, right?

Anyone experience this?

Good flying,
desmobobO

Anyone experience trangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver
OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver
desmobob is offline Find More Posts by desmobob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:13 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,289 Posts
If you have a standard four or five cell receiver battery handy, try running just the receiver on the bench and see if it gets hot. There is a voltage regulator in any receiver and they do produce a little heat, but not enough to make the receiver hot. Somthin ain't right
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:45 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,938 Posts
I have two of those and they work great. I run them off 5v and 6v BEC and they just get slightly warm but never hot. What voltage are you using?

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 17, 2011, 04:22 PM
Arc, spark and smoke...
Joined Mar 2006
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
If you have a standard four or five cell receiver battery handy, try running just the receiver on the bench and see if it gets hot. There is a voltage regulator in any receiver and they do produce a little heat, but not enough to make the receiver hot. Somthin ain't right
Pete
I'll bench test it tonight and report my results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I have two of those and they work great. I run them off 5v and 6v BEC and they just get slightly warm but never hot. What voltage are you using?
The Rx is in an ElectriFly Seawind EP (three HXT900 servos) and I'm powering it from a Castle Creations Phoenix 25 ESC with a 3S 1500mah LiPo. I'll double-check my ESC settings to see what the BEC voltage is set at. I'm running the Phoenix out of the box, so it should be 5V.

Thanks for your responses,
desmobob
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:14 AM
Arc, spark and smoke...
Joined Mar 2006
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
I'll bench test it tonight and report my results.

The Rx is in an ElectriFly Seawind EP (three HXT900 servos) and I'm powering it from a Castle Creations Phoenix 25 ESC with a 3S 1500mah LiPo. I'll double-check my ESC settings to see what the BEC voltage is set at. I'm running the Phoenix out of the box, so it should be 5V.

Thanks for your responses,
desmobob
I put the Seawind on the workbench and did some checking.... I double-checked to be sure the Rx is in analog servo mode; it is. When I work all the servos continuously, the large square black chip on the Rx's PCB gets just barely warm. When I run the motor, it gets noticeably warmer, but barely.

On the day of the maiden flight, I had just treated the Rx with Corrosion-X. Maybe the oily film on the PCB was still thick enough to prevent the Rx from cooling as I flew three batteries in a row. My Rx is mounted on Velcro in a spot where there is air moving through the fuselage.

I'll try flying again and I'll closely monitor the Rx temperature.

Thanks again,
desmobob
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:14 AM
Joined Jul 2011
5 Posts
I just got a winning bid on a 6ex rx and wanted to order a HK Futaba compatable Orange
tx, and hoped that they are ok
Big Roy is offline Find More Posts by Big Roy
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:05 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,938 Posts
Glitch Problem

I have a glitch problem with my Orange Rx after I upgraded my 8FGH tx to V3. It has a throttle glitch every 30 seconds or so. I think itís related to failsafe. I linked it to my 7C tx and it does not have that problem.

Maybe I need a rx firmware update to fix this problem. Does this receiver have update capability?

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:18 PM
Joined Mar 2009
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I have a glitch problem with my Orange Rx after I upgraded my 8FGH tx to V3. It has a throttle glitch every 30 seconds or so. I think itís related to failsafe. I linked it to my 7C tx and it does not have that problem.

Maybe I need a rx firmware update to fix this problem. Does this receiver have update capability?

No need to upgrade the rx, just disable the failsafe settings on your Tx side before setting FrSky failsafe positions.
Chase Wu is offline Find More Posts by Chase Wu