SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:20 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,131 Posts
My Steig is an older model with 4 servos in fuse. Flew today in some wind and active lift. I have 2 radio setups:
#1 is for 'float'; with differential ailerons, snap flaps, low throws, slower trim speed; and I set the CG at 79.
#2 is for 'run'; with no differential, no snap, more throw, faster trim; and I set the CG at 76.

Tried both setups today back to back multiple times. #2 is definitely much better for wind, at least on my plane, and it was doing the best today by far. #1 is great for clam conditions with light lift.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:18 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
614 Posts
Awesome, ill give that a shot. I used to have that version but updated to the new topdrive! Way better quality! And a lot more robust!
1900 Driver is offline Find More Posts by 1900 Driver
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined May 2010
328 Posts
The Movie

F3k Steigeisen DLG over Red Field (2 min 51 sec)
Beetle-Jet is offline Find More Posts by Beetle-Jet
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:16 PM
Joined May 2010
328 Posts
Hi,

Some pics from last Saturday practice
I made some changes to the old Steig setup and match it to my new one the TopDrive.

I moved the CG backwards from 70.5 mm to 78-79 mm
I changed the Throws same as i did with my new Top Drive Steig.

Both now the same setup, just the weight is a bit different.
Old Steig 300 grams
New Steig 288 grams

Beetle-Jet is offline Find More Posts by Beetle-Jet
Old Jul 07, 2014, 10:57 AM
Nick Radle
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined May 2004
1,842 Posts
How are you guys launching your Steigs? I'm cutting a nice gouge into the webbing of my skin between my index and middle finger, even with a glove!
The peg is as far aft and outboard as the instructions allow. The point of the wingtip rests in between my two fingers as I wind up. It then cuts me on release.
I tried resting my palm behind the trailing edge but I fear damaging it on a hard launch, and I don't feel like I can get as high a launch.
Bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by Bodywerks
Old Jul 07, 2014, 01:24 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,384 Posts
Are you holding onto the peg with just the pads of your finger tips? That is all that is needed, then let the plane just hang off the tips.

BP
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Jul 07, 2014, 07:29 PM
Nick Radle
Joined May 2004
1,842 Posts
Yep. The pads of my fingers barely rest on the inboard-aft side of the peg. They don't wrap around the peg by any means. I should be more clear that it is the 'valley' between my two fingers that is getting a half inch long cut by the pointed tip of the wing, not the actual web. I'll take a pic and post it up later.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 07:37 PM
Nick Radle
Joined May 2004
1,842 Posts
I think I'm holding it wrong. I'm not holding it like in the photo or video that beetle-jet posted. His fingers come in from the trailing edge. Mine come in from the wingtip. I guess I was too worried about damaging the trailing edge and it felt like I wasn't getting the launch power launching his way compared to my finger slicing way.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 10:57 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,871 Posts
I'm going to really upset you guy's as I use my middle and third finger my theory being they are almost the same length. At the start of the launch I use my thumb to secure the grip and remove it just before I let go. It work's for me. Sorry to hear about your web, that can be painful. You may want to look into those curved launch peg's that are installed even with the wing tip. That should eliminate the web problem.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:32 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,492 Posts
take some scissors and trim it so it doesn't touch your finger webs.

Paul Anderson used a piece of sandpaper on mine, many years ago...I had to retrim it when I let my 12 year old son fly it.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Jul 15, 2014, 04:15 AM
Nick Radle
Joined May 2004
1,842 Posts
Are you talking about rounding the trailing edge corner slightly? Because that's what I plan to do. I feel like I'm losing out on a lot of launch height launching the way Bettle-jet shows in that pic.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 05:53 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodywerks View Post
Are you talking about rounding the trailing edge corner slightly? Because that's what I plan to do. I feel like I'm losing out on a lot of launch height launching the way Bettle-jet shows in that pic.
yes, take off as much as you need... The wing doesn't care at all.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp